I'm curious, why a sword and shield?

Ikusi_Prime

Baruuk's signature weapon is a sword and shield, which seems... odd. The weapons look fine, and their stats are okay, it's just that his overall theme doesn't really scream "sword and shield" to me. He's a pacifist monk frame. Why not a staff, or fists, or a tranq gun? The devs compared him several times to John Wick; why not a cool pistol? A sword and shield seems kind of out of place and random. 

Probably because the sword and boards have more blocking % so the defensive potential of the weapon type fits his theme gameplay wise.  Also if you're arguing that he should use a staff because he doesn't want to kill people, then you might want to read up on the forces you can impart onto a target when using a quarter staff type weapon properly.  They can be worse than maces.

Offense and defense in one. Is that not his entire theme in one existing weapon category?

Staves fit the monk theme, but not his overall design. Fists are generally rather bulky and are aggressive. There are no tranquilizer guns in combat, so the likelihood of them creating a new weapon with new mechanics that have to work with all existing and future frames was near zero.

1 minute ago, Starfreak911 said:

Probably because the sword and boards have more blocking % so the defensive potential of the weapon type fits his theme gameplay wise.  Also if you're arguing that he should use a staff because he doesn't want to kill people, then you might want to read up on the forces you can impart onto a target when using a quarter staff type weapon properly.  They can be worse than maces.

sword and shield/ heavy blades/ hammers /polearms / staves all have the same block

27 minutes ago, Aejan said:

Baruuk's signature weapon is a sword and shield, which seems... odd. The weapons look fine, and their stats are okay, it's just that his overall theme doesn't really scream "sword and shield" to me. He's a pacifist monk frame. Why not a staff, or fists, or a tranq gun? The devs compared him several times to John Wick; why not a cool pistol? A sword and shield seems kind of out of place and random. 

That struck me as odd as well. Traditionally, peacekeepers often carried staffs to restrain, subdue, or even just to bar the way. I can understand the logic behind the shield, but pairing it with a blade doesn't seem consistent with the paci-fist concept. Something inspired by the japanese jitte might have been a better weapon.

23 minutes ago, Starfreak911 said:

I am well-acquainted with the lethal capacity of a staff. It's not about giving him a non-lethal weapon, it's about fitting the monk theme. A staff is 100% within the monk weapon trope. A sword and shield certainly has the defensive aspect, but it doesn't match his theme. 

Personally I've never heard a monk using shield. Some monks did fight with swords but never with a shield.

If DE want to highlight his defensively-offensive style they can design a staff or sword weapon for him that has exceptionally high damage block, say 95%. Sword and shield really are out of his character.

Edited by Marvelous_A

20 minutes ago, Starfreak911 said:

Also if you're arguing that he should use a staff because he doesn't want to kill people, then you might want to read up on the forces you can impart onto a target when using a quarter staff type weapon properly.  They can be worse than maces.

You need far less force to deal a fatal blow with a sword than a staff. On top of that, you also need a lot of training to generate the amount of force you're referring to. In contrast, the mace is probably one of the easiest weapons I've trained with, and the force you get out of minimal effort is harrowing.

Then there's the difference in how the body reacts to being struck by different weapons. Blunt trauma tend to spread out and get soaked up by soft tissue, unless you hit areas with bone close to the surface. You can go for nerve clusters, cavities or vulnerable organs (like a good liver shot, or the kidneys) to get your opponent down without having to beat him to a pulp. Edged weapons are just nasty, no matter where or how hard you hit. One, two, three shallow cuts, and you're leaking all over the place, and a solid blow will turn a limb useless or spill half your insides down your lap.

Blunt weapons have traditionally been used by law enforcement for a reason. It is way easier to subdue someone without killing them with a cudgel or staff, than with edged/spiked/poined weapons. If Baruuk's weapon of choice is of the latter kind, doesn't that make him a hypocrite?

They needed to get another Shield & Sword in the game that can be thrown not tied to the login reward system. This makes the choice easier for new players when they get to choosing as now there is one in the Market.

Also, with the idea of Captain America choosing a Shield over guns might also have something to do with it IMO. Here is a walking platoon of a guy and he uses a Shield to KO people in a war because he knows he has to fight....but that does not mean he has to kill. 

As for the Sword aspect, some people can use a Sword in a way as to not kill where they can disarm, smack around, or even spank an adversary without laying a slice or injury to them. 

We the player have the tools to kill with....will we take Baruuk on our way of fighting it will we bend to follow the path he has when using him? The choice is yours Tenno....

Play on.....

1 hour ago, cookieknife said:

sword and shield/ heavy blades/ hammers /polearms / staves all have the same block

It seems you are right, I stand corrected.

13 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

On top of that, you also need a lot of training to generate the amount of force you're referring to.

It would take a lot of training if you had no understanding of anything, but I assumed even a basic understanding of physics would go a long way to shortening the amount of training needed.  I'm genuinely curious now but how long would it take to become not an expert, but fairly proficient with a quarter staff?

Hey could you help pass this around 

My mask of the revenant quest is bugged or broken i equipped the mask of the lost one and entered the planes I clicked the first glowing spot then my Wi-Fi disconnected and I tried to re enter but now my qeust is saying u must build a part for him but I don't have the part yet and u can't do anything in the planes nothing happens

2 minutes ago, (XB1)GlibFountain878 said:

Hey could you help pass this around 

My mask of the revenant quest is bugged or broken i equipped the mask of the lost one and entered the planes I clicked the first glowing spot then my Wi-Fi disconnected and I tried to re enter but now my qeust is saying u must build a part for him but I don't have the part yet and u can't do anything in the planes nothing happens

This is not the place to post this, and you will very quickly earn the ire of people if you continue to do it.  If you have issues with the game that can't be solved by researching then send a ticket to support.

Edited by Starfreak911

26 minutes ago, (XB1)DShinShoryuken said:

As for the Sword aspect, some people can use a Sword in a way as to not kill where they can disarm, smack around, or even spank an adversary without laying a slice or injury to them.

Yeah, I've watched some of those movies too. I hope you don't believe that is safe to do in real life.

28 minutes ago, Starfreak911 said:

It would take a lot of training if you had no understanding of anything, but I assumed even a basic understanding of physics would go a long way to shortening the amount of training needed.

You are incorrect. Without knowing how to use your entire body in a strike, you are simply waving a stick around. With staffs, it has less to do with leverage, and more about the axis around which all parts move and gather momentum. Simply look at punching. Anyone can throw a punch, but if you want to see someone putting their footwork, their waist into the punch, watch a boxer with even just a year or two of proper training. 

28 minutes ago, Starfreak911 said:

I'm genuinely curious now but how long would it take to become not an expert, but fairly proficient with a quarter staff?

At least 200-300 hours, my best recommendation being a full contact Wing Chun school, as a lot of mainstream martial art styles mainly train in form, and not so much sparring/actually teaching how to hurt somebody. Bear in mind, you not only learn how to strike, but also how to manipulate your opponent, block and avoid getting your fingers turned into paté,

2 hours ago, Starfreak911 said:

Anything can be lethal with wnough force. Give a warframe a mug and it will kill you with a mug.

Jokes aside, seord and shield is the weapon category with a shield, and has a unique mod to attract aggro. Closest thing to a defensive weapon. (Or the machete, that could work. Thing hits like a paper)

3 hours ago, Aejan said:

a tranq gun

I want a Tranq Gun for actual (non-Conservation) gameplay.
My god...I'd have so much fun running through enemies bases, putting them to sleep, then shooting them in the face or uh...other regions (Metal Gear Solid 2 style).
Or...just pelting one unfortunate Grineer with darts in his face till I'm out of ammo. Laughing at the coma he'll be in for the next decade.

God...the fun I'd have in Warframe. Hell we could get a challenge mode where the players are tasked with NOT killing an enemy. T_T

I want this...so badly.

because DE doesn't think very hard about anything in the month before the holidays. They are only focused on getting the update done, nothing else. so the quality of everything goes way down just so they can push it out so people aren't left high and dry for the break.

it is a defensive weapon it is not a sword but a hook used to manipulate opponents the problem is Jhon Whick when in the I don't want to kill people mode does not fit the game where ninjas murder vast hoards of enemies in an endless quest for LOOT.  this is represented by the stats as it lacks slash and with the low crit chance and high status it is (without mods) going to reduce the effectiveness of enemies or stager them. The odd thing is the block is less than some sword and shield.   

Baruuk's design is somewhat Egyptian (or, I guess Sudanese, according to the Wiki, close enough).

So, what's the best thing to ever come out of Egypt?

Obviously, the inspiration for Duel Monsters. Duh.

original.gif

lkrwyk4az2521.png

Yes the Shield design is a Yu-Gi-Oh reference dammit DE I love you ❤️

the shape of the shield bothers me more, it's not enough to cover all of him in a blocking position. it's more like a really elaborate Buckler than anything else. I get they were going for the offense/defense theme, but I think he would have been better off with a staff, Twin Hooks (using Dual Sword Stances), or perhaps just a new sparring weapon. still, if the weapon turns out to be decent, I suppose I can let it slide.

Edited by (PS4)robotwars7