What are the new amps and archanes being used for?

Grayfox1990

Question

10 answers to this question

Speaking about stats they seems to be simply new amps, the parts seems to be interchangable with old amp ones, so its more "operator stuff".
The arcanes seems to be focused on survivability and damage since theres some interesting damage output options now.

I'm curious about the damage-type Arcanes. If you change your amp to 100% Viral would you even be able to damage the shields on an Eidolon? Is it the Void damage that hurts their shields or being in Operator?

Edit: What about the Sentient/Void damage resist reset?

Edited by Roboplus

1 hour ago, Roboplus said:

I'm curious about the damage-type Arcanes. If you change your amp to 100% Viral would you even be able to damage the shields on an Eidolon? Is it the Void damage that hurts their shields or being in Operator?

Edit: What about the Sentient/Void damage resist reset?

My understanding is that Eidolon shields are only able to be damaged by Void damage, and are completely immune to all other damage types. Amps worked against those shields not because they were Amps, but because they dealt Void damage. In fact, they're the only source of Void damage in the game. If the new Amp parts change the damage types of the Amps to something other than Void, that Amp will be useless for Eidolon fights, as it no longer has the needed damage to harm the shields.

Of course, it's possible that the game wasn't looking at the damage type, but at something else, such as being in Operator mode. Previously, with Void damage only available from the Operator, and no other options for damage type, there was no difference between "Inflicting Void Damage" and "In Operator mode". If there are now other damage types for Amps (I haven't taken a close look at the parts, since I don't have the Rank to get them), then the only way to know what the game looks at is to try taking one that doesn't have Void damage up against an Eidolon and see what happens.

1 hour ago, (XB1)D34thst41ker said:

My understanding is that Eidolon shields are only able to be damaged by Void damage, and are completely immune to all other damage types. Amps worked against those shields not because they were Amps, but because they dealt Void damage.

That's my understanding as well, though I'm nowhere near being able to max out one of the new Arcanes and test this.

6 hours ago, Grayfox1990 said:

I see. So it's not needed for the orb fight?

I'm also curious to the damage arcanes. Let me know if anyone has any idea for what the arcanes are. Are they for amps or something else and if something else, which arcanes, how much damage and so on...

Orb fights don't really make use of amps, actually the only use for them there is to reroll their defense.