Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Catching animals is no fun

Kokusnuss

Hello,

Thanks for 40 minutes Waste time Waframe. The new animals get caught so badly that a War bugs and even after I've shot several animals 4x, it has disappeared. Catching animals just takes too long and just does not make you mad. Thanks for the 40min!

Greetz,

Kokus

• Like 2

1 hour ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

You have issues.

Haha, I do. Though that was a joke, it's pretty funny having that observation about "killing" digital mutant animals come from someone who plays a game that focuses on massacring hordes of digital "people." Just sayin'.

Edited by CedarDpg

As GearsMatrix301 has mentioned, Ivara and Equinox both make capturing animals quite easy, and thankfully DE have also adjusted rewards so that Ivara can get perfect captures with skilful enough play. However, I completely agree that baseline Conservation hunting kinda sucks without those frames, mainly because the Tranq Rifle feels terrible to use: the weapon's slow, it's not silent for whichever reason, and in general it just has a ton of untapped potential for added features, like a creature radar on the minimap, integrated echo-lures as a secondary fire, rarity indicators for creatures upon starting a trail (which is what the pheromones should have been), etc. Additionally, the fact that Bolarolas have atrocious hitboxes that render them near-impervious to Tranq Rifle shots, and Kubrodons take two shots to go down (which makes it impossible to get perfect captures), means that using the thing isn't all that rewarding.

Personally, what I'd like to see from Conservation in the future would be the following:

• Make the Tranq Rifle a primary weapon, with its own special rules:
    • Bolt-action sniper rifle, each shot puts the target to sleep for 5 seconds (can be any enemy or neutral unit). Any damage breaks this sleep effect instantly.
    • Can be modded and have its appearance changed like any other weapon.
    • Deals exactly 0 damage, damage mods and bonuses instead increase sleep duration (including Volt's passive).
    • Exactly 0% status and crit chance.
    • No longer highlights animals as a baseline.
    • Has a hidden matchmaking feature where players who enter the Vallis with the Tranq Rifle equipped are matched with other players who also have a Tranq Rifle (so players would be less able to leech off of players doing bounties).
    • Can be equipped with the following mods, sold by The Business (just throwing ideas out here):
      • Heartbeat Detector: While zoomed in, pulses every 6 / 5 / 4 / 3 / 2 / 1 seconds, highlighting all units within 25 / 50 / 75 / 100 / 125 /150 meters through walls and on the minimap for the player for 0.5 seconds.
      • DNA Identifier: Specifies the animal variant at every trail start and call point.
      • Ghillie Array: While immobile and zoomed in, the player becomes invisible and no longer gives off a scent, with the effects lingering for another 1.5 / 2 / 2.5 / 3 / 3.5 / 4 seconds upon moving. Attacking ends the effects early.
      • Sedative Cloud: On impact, shots also affect all targets within 2.5 / 4 / 5.5 / 7 / 8.5 / 10 meters, with the sleep duration reducing the farther the target is from the center, up to a minimum of 25% of the original duration.
      • Deadly Neurotoxin: Headshots put targets to sleep permanently, preventing them from waking up from damage, and cause them to take 9 / 18 / 27 / 36 / 45 / 54 / 63 / 72 / 81 / 90 / 100% increased damage.
      • Pair Bonding: Getting a perfect capture on an animal has a 25 / 50 / 75 / 100% chance to spawn their mate nearby. This does not repeat upon capturing the mate.
      • Conservationist's Rations: Successfully capturing an animal restores 9 / 18 / 27 / 36 / 45 / 54 / 63 / 72 / 81 / 90 / 100% of the player's health, shields, and Energy, and gives them the same amount as bonus movement speed for 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 13 / 14 / 15 seconds.
      • Amplified Lure: Using the Echo-Lure stuns enemies in a cone in front of the player up to 2.5 / 4 / 5.5 / 7 / 8.5 / 10 meters away while it is active, briefly confusing them after the stun ends.
    • Have all Conservation hunts grant the exact same standing amount, regardless of animal species or variant (Pobbers should perhaps each give only a third of the amount though). It's okay for animal appearances and floof rewards to have some RNG dependence, but having different species and variants give different standing rewards is what currently causes only Kubrodons to be truly considered when hunting for standing.
Edited by Teridax68
  • Like 2

I think just making the Tranq Rifle silent past 20 or 30 meters would take a lot of the frustration out of Conservation. Yes, I know that Ivara and Equinox trivialise the hunt, but that's honestly pretty bad design. Make an activity that's so fiddly it's not fun unless you bring the right gear... In which case it's still not fun because it's too easy. I'd rather the core design of the activity be itself compelling even if the player didn't happen to bring their standard gear, such as doing a quick hunt or two after running Bounties.

• Like 2

On 2018-12-19 at 1:16 PM, CedarDpg said:

I wonder, can we put away our tranq rifles and use a sniper rifle instead? Might be more satisfying. Maybe they could make a line of stuffed animals that are riddled with red holes and huge gaping wounds that squirt blood on the orbiter floor. 😉

I'd go hunting for stuffed animals if this were a thing.