Nyx Rework needs more... rework

Ghigog

First off, I'm glad Nyx got a rework; she hasn't seen some use in a very long time. However, she's still very underwhelming and might not see use for more time still... I'm going to outline some problems and then suggest some changes.

Mind Control:

Awesome change; that added damage is a really nice addition. But the original problem was not the damage necessarily, it was the AI. and more specifically, the fact that this AI (still) doesn't follow you closely enough, and can't properly support you.

Psychic Bolts:

Again, great changes. But let's remind ourselves that mag can do a huge debuff AOE, and can recast it too. The fact that this ability targets random units, AND I have to wait before recasting it, kind of makes me just want to not use this ability. It's not fun to use; at least before I could spam it and it felt like I was doing something. Sure, it's great for 6 targets at a time... but that's it.

Chaos:

Still a great ability. Only problem is, as good as the VFX look, it creates tons of visual noise, and makes targets harder to spot and aim at without dark energy colours.

Absorb:

This is also still fine. The only problem that sticks is that stopping a Warframe in their tracks is just not fun. I get how it balances the ability but... it's just not fun.

So now I've outlined the problems, here are some changes I can suggest to fix them:

Passive: Command

Place a waypoint, and all nearby radiated or mind controlled targets will rally to that spot. The rally amount scales with duration, but must have a base time of 5 seconds. I realise this might seem extremely overpowered at first glance, but this is almost necessary to bypass the AI. With this passive, Nyx is a formidable opponent, and instead of having a couple of gimmicks, she really stands out as the only frame who can truly manipulate the battlefield.

Alternatively, this "waypoint" can instead be a command issued by long - pressing the first ability:

Mind Control:

Instead of one target, mind control affects 3 total enemies (aim at one, and two closest enemies get affected). The addition of shooting to get the damage output up is great, so in this case they would each share the damage buff. Also, instead of meandering around as they please, these AI are a lot friendlier, sticking to Nyx as often as possible. Instead of stopping to do damage, they prioritise staying with Nyx. This is because Nyx has really low survivability even with all the radiation procs, so this helps her have "bodyguards" (which, by the way, is way more in line with her theme in my opinion).

Psychic Bolts:

Just get rid of this ability, honestly. There are way better things she could be doing than just debuffing random enemies, 6 at a time. Here are some alternates:

ALT 1 - Pulse Granade:

This AOE bomb does a lot of damage on explosion, but leaves behind a cloud of radiation that will radiate any incoming enemies. For this ability to work, the range must scale similarly to Mag's bubble. This way, the player can build for damage, or range and duration based on how they want to use the ability. Combined with the passive, this can be really effective to clear out enemies.

ALT  2 - Debuff Beam

This is a long charge up time ability. With infinite punch through and a narrow range, any enemy caught in its path will have a debuff to shields / armour / speed. It can be built for damage or range, and duration only affects how far the beam will travel. Combined with her passive, she can direct a lot of radiated enemies into the path of the beam for ease of use.

ALT 3 - Hit Record

At the press of this button, Nyx can begin to do damage to an enemy who becomes invincible. After the time runs out, all damage inflicted on this enemy is spread out over a large radius to any other enemies infected with radiation. Combined with the other two abilities, this makes Nyx a really great warframe for affecting the battlefield on her own terms.

Mind Control:

This ability is great, just remove the VFX. Enemies marked can simply have a symbol over their head, like Garuda.

Absorb:
There are two ways this ability can go.

Way 1:

The range of the absorb bubble is tripled. She can receive damage from a larger distance (think open world), and not many bullets miss their way into the bubble. Of course, it will still scale with range as usual, the only difference is that there is way more range. This makes her ability more viable as a damage absorption ability, but also as a way to direct enemy fire.

Way 2:

Nyx can move entirely freely, perhaps even receiving a movement speed buff. However, she cannot use any weapons. This way, Nyx can prance about the battlefield absorbing damage. This is the sort of ability that a Nyx player can use to escape death and find safer ground. The problem with absorb originally is that, although she is invincible, as soon as those enemies stand back up, you're a prime target for sniper fire. With this change, Nyx will have a chance to get in and out of fights in a much safer way. A player will have to balance whether they want to stay in territory with lots of enemies, to do the most damage, or run away to safe ground. The reason Nyx needs this much survivability is because the game nowadays favours warframes who can really hold their own ground. See Nidus, Inaros, even Garuda and Baruuk.

So that's all I wanted to say on the matter. As I hope i've made clear, Nyx really needs a buff in all sorts of abilities in order to compete with contemporary warframes. As for Titania, the changes are great, though it just makes me wonder why she wasn't like this from day 1. It almost seems as if nerfs were taken away, instead of buffs coming in.

14 hours ago, Ghigog said:

Passive: Command

Place a waypoint, and all nearby radiated or mind controlled targets will rally to that spot. The rally amount scales with duration, but must have a base time of 5 seconds. I realise this might seem extremely overpowered at first glance, but this is almost necessary to bypass the AI. With this passive, Nyx is a formidable opponent, and instead of having a couple of gimmicks, she really stands out as the only frame who can truly manipulate the battlefield.

Alternatively, this "waypoint" can instead be a command issued by long - pressing the first ability:

This is quite possibly the most creative and thematic passive that I've seen proposed for Nyx. I'd say tho instead of "rallying" they are simply drawn to within 15m of the marked area, more so as if there is all of a sudden some important reason why they need to be there and make the vicinity a priority while still fighting one another so it's not all of a sudden the best passive in the game by a mile.

15 hours ago, Ghigog said:

ALT 3 - Hit Record

At the press of this button, Nyx can begin to do damage to an enemy who becomes invincible. After the time runs out, all damage inflicted on this enemy is spread out over a large radius to any other enemies infected with radiation. Combined with the other two abilities, this makes Nyx a really great warframe for affecting the battlefield on her own terms.

As much as I absolutely love the thought of this ability, and it's far and away the best change to her 2 that you proposed, it seems like it would be extremely OP and capable of nuking a map.

Think about this, your chaos covers 50 meters. You target one enemy and pump him full of Tigris prime shots. Then ALL enemies within 50 meters take the damage... It's a scary thought. I would instead suggest working this into her 4.

If you were to combine her 4 with the idea you have for her 2 it would alleviate all the issues that her 4 currently has. In the Dev Workshop DE made it apparent that they didn't want Nyx herself to actually do damage sooooo:

Proposed change

Her 4 now has zero range aside from a 5 meter knock back around her when she releases it. Instead the damage she absorbs is upon release, instantly applied to all enemies that are under her control. This should bypass enemy armor and be finisher damage because it's more of a mental attack rather than physical.

The damage type remains the same, being whatever they hit you with, maybe at the cost of additional energy drain slow the player to charge the damage they've absorbed similar to Garuda's 1, and the aggro should be prioritized. Think along the lines of (Nyx enters absorb and sends out a single command "attack me" to which all enemies affected by her obey) this would alleviate problems like damage/range and promote synergy between her abilities. She would be the premier control frame that is entirely incapable of killing enemies using abilities without their assistance.

I like the creativity of the way point. I think it should be an alternate activation of the first ability. 

As far as Absorb, I've had a couple thoughts. First it should be able to charge up faster at the expense of energy like Dread Heart. Second, let it ramp up based on all damage dealt in the area by anyone rather than forcing them to deal it to her only. This way allies could contribute, and it would synergize well with Chaos.

2 hours ago, (PS4)Riko_113 said:

I like the creativity of the way point. I think it should be an alternate activation of the first ability. 

Yeah this is my favorite part as well

2 hours ago, (PS4)Riko_113 said:

As far as Absorb, I've had a couple thoughts. First it should be able to charge up faster at the expense of energy like Dread Heart. Second, let it ramp up based on all damage dealt in the area by anyone rather than forcing them to deal it to her only. This way allies could contribute, and it would synergize well with Chaos.

The problem with allowing allies to add to it, especially all the damage in an area would be she would run out of energy almost immediately

15 minutes ago, (PS4)JCM_Unlimited said:

Yeah this is my favorite part as well

The problem with allowing allies to add to it, especially all the damage in an area would be she would run out of energy almost immediately

Only assuming they keep that part of the ability. If only absorbs a percentage of the damage dealt and gives her the ability to charge it herself with energy to multiply it she would control the energy cost instead of her enemies and allies.