Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Player Figuring Out Starter Frame(s)

(NSW)BungaHead

Question

Hey guys,

I am former hardcore Destiny 2 player that recently bought a Switch and am falling in love with Warframe. I've got an idea of how I want to play this game, but I'm struggling with what frame(s) to tear up the universe as. Up to this point, I've used the poster boy Excalibur who I enjoy a lot. Also last night I bought the Prime Nova and Mag not just for those characters but for the platinum you receive with them to buy whatever characters I want next in collaboration with your feedback below. I've beaten the Jackel, and I've got a sense of how I want to play at this moment. My goal is to describe the gameplay I want and let the community chime in with their valuable opinions and help point me in the closest direction to those warframes.

It's pretty simple so let's get to it:

• I like meleeing enemies, but I'm gonna be in need of some high shields, armor, and health because I get a little reckless. So some tank-ness would be helpful to keep me from dying often. (Maybe mods can take care of this issue? If so which ones?)
  • In addition to meleeing, I'd like to be able to blind, stun, or freeze enemies so that I can finish them off with a sick execution-style melee attack. That is probably my favorite part thus far.
  • I also think it would be valuable to have some support function if things go awry in the form of high DPS, energy replenishment or healing functionality.
  • I like the AR's as my primary and would like to have a robust 1-2 hit kill melee weapon to enhance my first and second bullet point above.

Thanks for reading this and I look forward to the communities responses.

v/r

Bunga

Edited by (NSW)BungaHead
Update

1st, don't use your plat for warframes, other than a couple of the newest, they are all easy to get, so just buy some warframe and weapons slots.

If you like to go melee and want some tankiness you can opt for rhino, you can get his part blueprints by farming the jackal and then buying the main blueprint in the market.

After rhino you can move to inaros, he's the Warframe with the most hp, his first ability stuns enemies and make them open to finishers and his passive makes you heal when you do a finisher.

As for the mods, you should go for vitality (I think you have one) and level it up at least at half the ranks (I'm not sure how further you can go), then steel fiber if you use high armor warframes like the 2 mentioned above and only at last redirection for the shields (useless on inaros) because shields doesn't benefit from your armor, so they are going to go down really fast when you'll go up in enemy levels.

For modding, remember to level up the +damage mods for your weapons (serration/hornet strike/pressure point/point blank) because it will help you a lot

(If you want you can also add me on switch, the nick should be the same, but I'm gonna check asap if I'm right)

Eidt on how to get inaros: you get his quest blueprint from baro ki teer, a special merchant that appears every 2 weeks in a relay, to buy the blueprints you need credits and ducats (the latter you gain by selling prime parts to baro himself).

For more info remember that we have a really well made wiki.

Edited by Fiftycentis

2 minutes ago, (NSW)BungaHead said:

Platinum is expensive and some reference would help

You really should be looking to farm and build all the frames rather than buy a select few.  Use that plat you have on slots.  Nothing wrong with buying frames but save that option for the ones that are a real pain to farm.  A quest frame like Inaros is a simple matter of play the quest to get the frame.

• Like 2

Another vote for Inaros here but you might want to look at Rhino as well as he is very much an all rounder and can be obtained very early.

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Inaros

You can get Inaros for free from Baron KittenEar (Bar Ki'Teer) when he arrives but you will need to have unlocked whichever relay he appears in and have some prime parts to sell for Ducats so you can buy the item to start the quest.

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Rhino

You can get Rhino from killing the boss on Venus and his kit is useful in almost any situation.

Save your plat for weapon and frame slots where possible. I'm not against buying stuff for plat if I feel like it but you can obtain everything bar slots for free with a little effort.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Edited by Shalath
  • Like 2

Inaros fits your description pretty well. But you should at least consider doing the Sands of Inaros quest to get him rather than spending plat. Baro sells the quest. The main issue with the quest is unless you've got friends to play with then you'll have to do most of it solo. If that ain't gonna be a problem then get the quest on Baro's next visit and get to work.

Nidus also kinda comes close to your description (apart from freeze and sick execution finishing move) and people hate farming him so he might be a better choice to buy. 

• Like 1

As others have said, Rhino and Inaros fit your playstyle. 

I'm going to throw votes in for Frost and Volt as well. Frost can literally freeze enemies with his ult, and Volt can stun a large group of enemies while getting shields back (but that might just be with the augment, I forget). Plus his Speed ability affects your melee attack speed so you hit much quicker.

Frost is obtained from the Ceres boss and Volt is from the Tenno Research lab in a clan dojo.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Fiftycentis said:

1st, don't use your plat for warframes, other than a couple of the newest, they are all easy to get, so just buy some warframe and weapons slots.

If you like to go melee and want some tankiness you can opt for rhino, you can get his part blueprints by farming the jackal and then buying the main blueprint in the market.

After rhino you can move to inaros, he's the Warframe with the most hp, his first ability stuns enemies and make them open to finishers and his passive makes you heal when you do a finisher.

As for the mods, you should go for vitality (I think you have one) and level it up at least at half the ranks (I'm not sure how further you can go), then steel fiber if you use high armor warframes like the 2 mentioned above and only at last redirection for the shields (useless on inaros) because shields doesn't benefit from your armor, so they are going to go down really fast when you'll go up in enemy levels.

For modding, remember to level up the +damage mods for your weapons (serration/hornet strike/pressure point/point blank) because it will help you a lot

(If you want you can also add me on switch, the nick should be the same, but I'm gonna check asap if I'm right)

Eidt on how to get inaros: you get his quest blueprint from baro ki teer, a special merchant that appears every 2 weeks in a relay, to buy the blueprints you need credits and ducats (the latter you gain by selling prime parts to baro himself).

For more info remember that we have a really well made wiki.

Great advice thank you! As far as adding you on Switch I would like that. Should you DM me your friend code?

Just now, (NSW)BungaHead said:

Great advice thank you! As far as adding you on Switch I would like that. Should you DM me your friend code?

IDK if on switch it works differently, on PC you just need the nickname.

Now, to talk about the weapon, mostly every melee can one hit things at low level and 3 shot at high.

Some used options are (and were more used when melee were able to ignore walls and obstacles) long range melees (mainly polearms and whips) with maiming strike (which add a flat 90% crit chance when you do a slide attack) but it's a boring way of play.

Otherwise there are zaws, modular melee weapons you can build as you like, but not easy and fast to get for a new player.

And then the best option for your playstyle, a dagger with covert lethality, which is a mod that grants your dagger a 100% sure kill on finisher against most enemies.

Or you can just ignore the meta and build something cool like a giant hammer or axe and go around with that, slow but hard hitting.

12 minutes ago, Fiftycentis said:

IDK if on switch it works differently, on PC you just need the nickname.

Now, to talk about the weapon, mostly every melee can one hit things at low level and 3 shot at high.

Some used options are (and were more used when melee were able to ignore walls and obstacles) long range melees (mainly polearms and whips) with maiming strike (which add a flat 90% crit chance when you do a slide attack) but it's a boring way of play.

Otherwise there are zaws, modular melee weapons you can build as you like, but not easy and fast to get for a new player.

And then the best option for your playstyle, a dagger with covert lethality, which is a mod that grants your dagger a 100% sure kill on finisher against most enemies.

Or you can just ignore the meta and build something cool like a giant hammer or axe and go around with that, slow but hard hitting.

Thank you I will try to add you once I am home. I thought you were talking about adding you as a Nintendo Friend. I forgot Warframe is cross-platform, which is cool as S#&$.

So I think it's pretty clear already that it's Inaros or Rhino for this type of play style. I think I will take the communities advice and save my platinum for weapon/frame slots and in the rare cases for hard to farm frames. Once I get home going to farm for Rhino and max him out then get Inaros once that is done.

I really appreciate it guys. Happy Holidays. Thanks!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, (PS4)ZERO_ghost90 said:

What? It is not cross platform

I played with PS4 and PC guys yesterday. I'm like 90% positive.

Edit: There were cross-platform players in the chat because these randoms said so. I assume I was playing with them too.

Edited by (NSW)BungaHead
Clarity.

hace 2 minutos, (NSW)BungaHead dijo:

I played with PS4 and PC guys yesterday. I'm like 90% positive.

Edit: There were cross-platform players in the chat because these randoms said so. I assume I was playing with them too.

Sorry, they were trolling you, or told you that they play on ps4 and pc TOO, and it got misinterpreted(wait, is misinterpreted a word?my vocabulary is reduced)

Just now, (PS4)ZERO_ghost90 said:

Sorry, they were trolling you, or told you that they play on ps4 and pc TOO, and it got misinterpreted(wait, is misinterpreted a word?my vocabulary is reduced)

Oh, that is a bummer. Oh well. Thanks for the clarification and advice. Yes, misinterpreted is a word lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, (NSW)BungaHead said:

So I think it's pretty clear already that it's Inaros or Rhino for this type of play style. I think I will take the communities advice and save my platinum for weapon/frame slots and in the rare cases for hard to farm frames. Once I get home going to farm for Rhino and max him out then get Inaros once that is done.

I really appreciate it guys. Happy Holidays. Thanks!

I'm an average player at best, but just wanted to tell you what made my life in Warframe a lot easier. I know a lot of more advanced players won't agree, but this couple of things made a lot of difference.

I played Excal at the beginning and just used weapons and "skill". Huge mistake. This game is all about modding, using frames' abilities (and learning when to use them"), and research. Wiki is a must, so is Warframe market later on.

But to cut it short, frames that will make your life easier:

Rhino: Tanky as hell, + ability to shut down whole rooms for short periods of time.

Limbo: This is what made me not quit playing WF. In the rift nothing (almost) can touch you and you have all the time you need to study enemies and their behavior, your surroundings etc. Plus it recovers your energy in the process. And then you freeze everyone, kill them, and go on. A frame for lazy afternoons.

Ivara: The invisible one. Pretty hard to get, you need to play a ton of spy missions to eventually get her, but: You learn to play spy missions and get a ton of relics in the process. I used Limbo for that, Limbo makes spy missions super easy.

Titania: Her guns in Razorwing can kill anything superfast, + while using her 4th you're hard to kill.

Weapons that brought a wide smile, and not so hard to get: Arca plasmor, Ignis.

Tips:

Fire up Yt, there are tons of videos on how to play a particular frame/weapon.

Go play low lvl Interception at Earth, kill 4 waves, repeat. You get relics + exp. Then play Void fissure missions to open relics and get weapons and frames.

Complete as much you can of he starchart. When in difficulty, go public. Every new planet/moon gives rewards.

Get a sentinel. Taxon is good, I use Djinn mostly. Build specters, they can help a lot.

Taxi with stronger players in Invasion missions, great for leveling frames and weapons, lets you acquire weapons.

Join a clan. One that made most of gear research.

(Optional): Play for 450 days, realize it's the last thing you'll ever play. 🙂

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

For starter frames, I would say Valkyr actually.

Inaros would take quite a while to get.

Valkyr's armor is really high, so damage you get would be really low.

Her Paralysis ability stuns enemies, and makes them open to Finishers which is what you stated to be a favorite of yours.

Valkyr's Hysteria brings out the Exalted Claws too, with its built in Life steal attack. So that's healing/melee all in one.

For buffs, there's her Warcry. Buffs everyone's attack speed/defense, lowers enemy speed.

addition: Obtainable from the Boss on Jupiter.

Edited by Teliko_Freedman
addition

5 hours ago, Teliko_Freedman said:

Her Paralysis ability stuns enemies, and makes them open to Finishers which is what you stated to be a favorite of yours.

Valkyr's Hysteria brings out the Exalted Claws too, with its built in Life steal attack. So that's healing/melee all in one.

For buffs, there's her Warcry. Buffs everyone's attack speed/defense, lowers enemy speed.

IDK how I've forgotten valkyr, maybe because I don't use her that much.

But yeah, if he likes claws as melee weapon she's perfect with her invincibility

16 hours ago, wolf69 said:

I'm an average player at best, but just wanted to tell you what made my life in Warframe a lot easier. I know a lot of more advanced players won't agree, but this couple of things made a lot of difference.

I played Excal at the beginning and just used weapons and "skill". Huge mistake. This game is all about modding, using frames' abilities (and learning when to use them"), and research. Wiki is a must, so is Warframe market later on.

But to cut it short, frames that will make your life easier:

Rhino: Tanky as hell, + ability to shut down whole rooms for short periods of time.

Limbo: This is what made me not quit playing WF. In the rift nothing (almost) can touch you and you have all the time you need to study enemies and their behavior, your surroundings etc. Plus it recovers your energy in the process. And then you freeze everyone, kill them, and go on. A frame for lazy afternoons.

Ivara: The invisible one. Pretty hard to get, you need to play a ton of spy missions to eventually get her, but: You learn to play spy missions and get a ton of relics in the process. I used Limbo for that, Limbo makes spy missions super easy.

Titania: Her guns in Razorwing can kill anything superfast, + while using her 4th you're hard to kill.

Weapons that brought a wide smile, and not so hard to get: Arca plasmor, Ignis.

Tips:

Fire up Yt, there are tons of videos on how to play a particular frame/weapon.

Go play low lvl Interception at Earth, kill 4 waves, repeat. You get relics + exp. Then play Void fissure missions to open relics and get weapons and frames.

Complete as much you can of he starchart. When in difficulty, go public. Every new planet/moon gives rewards.

Get a sentinel. Taxon is good, I use Djinn mostly. Build specters, they can help a lot.

Taxi with stronger players in Invasion missions, great for leveling frames and weapons, lets you acquire weapons.

Join a clan. One that made most of gear research.

(Optional): Play for 450 days, realize it's the last thing you'll ever play. 🙂

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the insight. These are now added to my wishlist!

13 hours ago, Teliko_Freedman said:

I was checking this one out last night, definitely going to be one of the next frames I play as. I'm having way too much fun with Rhino at the moment.