Questions regarding status procs...

(NSW)Smashbrolink

Question

#1 I know that combining two status types creates a secondary status type. [Example: Electricity + Toxin = Corrosive]

But is it possible to still get the procs from, say, electricity, if you only have Corrosive modded in? Or do the procs from the original two elements disappear in order to form the new secondary?

And if they do disappear, is there a way to re-enable the procs of at least one of the two original elements, without removing the secondary? [Ex: Getting electric stuns while still having a corrosive build]

#2 How do weapons with an innate element interact with status mods?

Example: taking a Heat Sword and tossing on a cold mod, will that produce innate Blast damage? And since they're would be no heat mod that you could upgrade in that example, would it be worth it compared to just having a heat mod alongside the cold mod setup so that you could further upgrade the damage of the status procs?

Or would you still be able to upgrade the cold mod on that heat sword and still upgrade the blast damage it does by extension? Because if so, that would free up a mod slot and make using such a weapon worthwhile with little reduction in power, as far as I can tell with my limited experience...

#3 if something doesn't die from a status proc, can the same status be applied to them again before they die? Or do they gain immunity to it after it's affected them once, damage aside?

Edited by (NSW)Smashbrolink

12 answers to this question

10 minutes ago, (NSW)Smashbrolink said:

But is it possible to still get the procs from, say, electricity, if you only have Corrosive modded in? Or do the procs from the original two elements disappear in order to form the new secondary?

No

Hey so, to answer number 1 here; there is no way to gain either of the original element procs when using a combination element. ie corrosive allowing for electric and toxin procs. There are certain weapons that force single element procs on their own however.

As for number 2 it gets a little bit complicated but I'll try to answer it as simply as possible. So heat sword doesn't have innate heat damage (I get the example fair enough just saying) however if we have a weapon with a single element like a prova with electricity, slotting in cold damage will combine with the innate electricity to form magnetic... however slotting in another mod like say toxin will combine it with the other mod card instead of the innate electricity changing the damage type from magnetic to viral/electric.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, (NSW)Smashbrolink said:

is it possible to still get the procs from, say, electricity, if you only have Corrosive modded in?

No. If you add Toxin and Electricity mods, you will only have Corrosive damage, not Toxin or Electricity damage. You will inflict Corrosive statuses and will not be able to inflict Toxin or Electric status. There is generally no way around this.

14 minutes ago, (NSW)Smashbrolink said:

Example: taking a Heat Sword and tossing on a cold mod, will that produce innate Blast damage? And since they're would be no heat mod that you could upgrade in that example, would it be worth it compared to just having a heat mod alongside the cold mod setup so that you could further upgrade the damage of the status procs?

Elemental damage combines in a set order based on the mods' placement on the mod screen: top left is #1, top right is #4, bottom left is #5, bottom right is #8. So if you have across the top row, elements in the order Heat, Cold, Toxin, Electric, you will have Blast + Corrosive. If you had the same mods in the order Heat, Toxin, Cold, Electric, you would have Gas + Magnetic. If the weapon has innate elemental damage, it is added last, #9. So if you have the Silva & Aegis, which has innate Heat damage, and you add Toxin, it will combine to form Gas damage. But you you add Toxin and Electric, those two will combine and you will have the Heat damage by itself, not having anything to combine with, since it is counted last.

You can add a Heat mod to your Silva & Aegis and it will also increase the Heat damage. It can also change the order of the elements. For instance, if you have Heat and Toxin and Electric, then the Heat and Toxin will combine to form Gas, and you will have Electric left by itself. The innate Heat damage of the Silva & Aegis will be counted with your modded Heat damage and be counted in the Gas damage. So you can force the innate Heat damage to combine by bringing it earlier in the order by putting a mod earlier in the order. You can't do this without adding the Heat mod, though.

It's all pretty complicated when you put it into words, but the concept is simple. I suggest playing around with your elemental mods and changing the order and see how the arsenal stats change to gain a better understanding.

EDIT: as @Wes8670 pointed out, the Heat Sword doesn't actually have innate Heat damage, so I've replaced it with the SIlva & Aegis, which does.

Edited by GrayArchon
added last paragraph

15 minutes ago, (NSW)Smashbrolink said:

#3 if something doesn't die from a status proc, can the same status be applied to them again before they die? Or do they gain immunity to it after it's affected them once, damage aside?

I depends on the status. Slash, Toxin, and Gas can stack on themselves, so you can have an enemy with many Toxin procs active at the same time (all damaging its health). Heat procs can't stack (there can only be 1 active Heat proc on an enemy); although I believe applying another Heat proc will extend the duration of the active Heat proc. For Viral, Radiation, and Magnetic, applying another proc will extend the duration of the active proc. You can look up how each status effect is different on the Warframe wikia.

44 minutes ago, GrayArchon said:

I depends on the status. Slash, Toxin, and Gas can stack on themselves, so you can have an enemy with many Toxin procs active at the same time (all damaging its health). Heat procs can't stack (there can only be 1 active Heat proc on an enemy); although I believe applying another Heat proc will extend the duration of the active Heat proc. For Viral, Radiation, and Magnetic, applying another proc will extend the duration of the active proc. You can look up how each status effect is different on the Warframe wikia.

So if I ran across a Grineer with nothing but a yellow armor bar, and I applied Corrosive once, it would continue to stack up to its limit, so long as I kept trying to add more, to more rapidly take out their armor and thus kill them faster?

I have noticed that corrisive alone isn't the amazing Grineer melter I thought it was, so I'm looking for a solution to that through understanding how these procs work, y'see...

With Grineer the thing about their armor is that they can have 2 different types depending on the units. Most notably Bombards with Ferrite and Heavy Gunners with Alloy. Alloy plate is weaker to corrosive damage while Ferrite is weaker to Radiation damage. However then you need to worry about damage reduction from their armor especially at higher levels. Corrosive is solid in that per proc it removes 25% of the enemies current armor so it removes arguably less and less each time BUT you still strip armor thus reducing their damage reduction. A good video discussing corrosive and other elemental procs can be found here actually.

Corrosive and Radiation damage specifically are the subject of many discussions when it comes to enemy armor since armor scales to quite absurd levels in later game content.

Edited by Wes8670
Adding additional text after YT video.

36 minutes ago, Wes8670 said:

With Grineer the thing about their armor is that they can have 2 different types depending on the units. Most notably Bombards with Ferrite and Heavy Gunners with Alloy. Alloy plate is weaker to corrosive damage while Ferrite is weaker to Radiation damage. However then you need to worry about damage reduction from their armor especially at higher levels. Corrosive is solid in that per proc it removes 25% of the enemies current armor so it removes arguably less and less each time BUT you still strip armor thus reducing their damage reduction. A good video discussing corrosive and other elemental procs can be found here actually.

Corrosive and Radiation damage specifically are the subject of many discussions when it comes to enemy armor since armor scales to quite absurd levels in later game content.

By the sound of this it seems like, in late-game, I'll probably have various different weapons that I'll need to switch between before every Mission just to take care of the different kinds of enemies effectively, right?

That's a real pain in the ass. Grineer tend to give me the hardest time for some reason, so I was hoping that having corrosive damage on would give me an overall easier time on taking them down specifically, but if I have to add in radiation damage every time I want to go against a grineer faction mission, that is going to become a lot of gear swapping that I will get tired of very fast...

It depends, I tend to find corrosive is overall better than Radiation just purely because of it's armor stripping ability although you WILL use more ammo against Ferrite armored targets no doubt. Content with enemies up to level 100 or so though a good radiation build on one weapon config will work for most grineer units and carry you through even the alloy armored targets as well, or using melee with viral to cut their hp. You have options but I will admit it sucks inbetween missions going from grineer to corpus and having to make sure all my weapons are on configs I want. So it helps to be honest, if you have A LOT of stuff to do against one faction, try to get it all done at once. Most of the time though people tend to brute force/overpower the enemies in a mission to avoid having to switch say mid mission from like radiation to corrosive against a gunner or whatever else. Take your time, learn what you can, learn your style- while the damage types help dictate what you should use where, ultimately the player decides how they deal with situations.

3 hours ago, (NSW)Smashbrolink said:

#1 I know that combining two status types creates a secondary status type. [Example: Electricity + Toxin = Corrosive]

Unfortunately not, you can only have EITHER corrosive OR electric procs, and the moment you change your electric element to corrosive you lose that electric damage

Innate elements are considered mods that sit in last place.

So for instance, putting cold+electric on an ignis results in magnetic and heat. And putting (in order) electric+toxin+cold would result in corrosive and blast (the innate heat of the ignis sits in last place and combines with the cold). 
You can however forcibly change this by putting in your own elemental mod that matches the innate one, so if you wanted the previous example to result in radiation and viral you would either: A. re-order it to be toxin+cold+electric, or B. add a heat mod in at the start so it has heat+electric+toxin+cold

Weapons that have an innate combined element (such as the detron's radiation damage) can never be changed and the components that make up said element wont automatically add to it unless used to make it again.
So a heat mod would not add to the detron's radiation element, unless you specifically combined it with an electric mod.
What this means is that weapons that have an innate combined element can actually have a total of 3 elements (in the detron's case you can build it to have corrosive+blast+radiation)

Depends on the status proc, for instance
Slash can be stacked
Puncture can be refreshed
Impact will not reapply until after the initial duration ends

Basically, follow the weapon stats on the left when modding. In general, your weapon can ONLY proc whatever damage type your weapon has, i.e. weapon must have corrosive to proc corrosive. If the damage type is not in the UI, it will not proc that status. Exception are special properties for certain weapons and certain warframe buffs. Special properties like Acrid having a guaranteed Toxin proc on each shot regardless of mods and Heat Sword dealing heat damage ONLY on slam attacks. For non-normal attacks like the Heat Sword, the UI isn't there to show you the damage distribution for its slam attack, but if you look on the wiki, it will say the slam attack does pure heat damage. The mods will change that damage appropriately (adding only cold will change your slam attack to deal blast, though it may have innate heat status on slam). Warframe buffs are not consistent. Some will add to your weapon like a mod (susceptible to combining with other elements) and some will just be tacked on as separate damage (will not combine with other elements).

For #3, certain status can stack (corrosive, toxin, slash) while other cannot. Proc'ing toxin 5 times will each start their damage over time. For non-stacking status, applying the same status will generally refresh the duration (not confident about impact and blast).

On ‎2018‎-‎12‎-‎20 at 6:55 PM, GrayArchon said:

I depends on the status. Slash, Toxin, and Gas can stack on themselves, so you can have an enemy with many Toxin procs active at the same time (all damaging its health).

Which is an aspect that is overlooked by a large portion of the community.   

On ‎2018‎-‎12‎-‎20 at 9:16 PM, Wes8670 said:

Most of the time though people tend to brute force/overpower the enemies in a mission to avoid having to switch say mid mission from like radiation to corrosive against a gunner or whatever else. Take your time, learn what you can, learn your style- while the damage types help dictate what you should use where, ultimately the player decides how they deal with situations.

This is the approach I took to avoid switching between elemental combos and just use hybrid builds of crit/status with Gas/slash as my default element.  While this combo can be slightly weaker on Grineer, it still gets the job done with additional DoT.