Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Impressions from a new players's perspective

Gosu42

Hey everyone, 

I am a new player to Warframe and wanted to share my first impression on the game.
Keep in mind I'm **really** new to the game, that is about 10 hours of playtime.
But since this game has a galactic sh*tton of features and content, might as well start early with the feedback.

Disclaimer:
This will probably be a long read, if you are up to it, go on, if not, there will probably be a tl;dr.
Also, as I'm really new, there might be dumb assumptions ahead, so if I'm just misinformed or wrong, feel free to correct me.

the "I like" part

- Movement -
I like the movement! It really is awesome. I don't yet have full control over what that tenno-guy is doing, 
but it is a lot of fun anyway. It feels fluid, fast, and non-restrictive. Great.
Going back to any other game feels like you have concrete-shoes on.

- Graphics -
Man those are some awesome designed tilesets, frames, weapons, npcs and cities, I really love all of them so far.
I even kept on motion-blur and DOF for maybe the first time ever in a game because everything looks amazing.

- Content -
Man, I know I'm only scraping the surface right now, but wow there is a lot to do already.
Leveling, building, grinding resources or mods, etc etc. Cool, I love to have choices.
Especially nice is that it can be just a few fast loot-runs if you don't have much time, or you can go on an
endless mission for a chance to get better loot / face stronger enemies / level up your weapons faster.
And it can be decided any time. Grinded the same mission for 2 hours and mom calls for dinner? Just head to the exit.
(Or finish those last 4 waves) Great design! 

the "I don't really like" part 

- UI -
It does the Job, I guess, but it is not intuitive. An example: Yesterday I played with a friend for the first time.
He invited me to a party, which was pretty easily done by username. Our next step was to add each other to our friend list.
The option to do so is burried deep in the communication menu, we really had to actively search for it to find it.
Why not just have an option in the party-member drop-down? below "view profile". That's where both of us assumed it to be.
The next (minor) point that I don't really like when it comes to the UI is the overall appearance. I just don't like the style.
I seems ... steril. Not a big deal, but it might become one after hundreds of hours of play-time, maybe.

- MR Test Limit -
Don't get me wrong, I know there are also good reasons for such a limit. But I still think that some of the lower MR-ranks
should have a shorter time-period for that lock. Maybe make MR1-4 every 8 hours or something like that.
I came to this game as a new player and progressed a little bit. Then on the Mercury junction I got myself a Boltor blueprint.
I had all the mats to build it. But I'm not MR2. I'm about half way there I thought, so I finished some more blue nodes 
on mercury. Filled that bar to MR2 just to be presented with a wall. 4 hours to go until I can attempt a test that was
one-shotting npcs with my sidearm for about 30 sec or so. Not great - don't like.

the "I really can't stand this" part

- NPC "Pathfinding" -
More like "NPC getting stuck on everything and not being able to traverse the map at all". That's pretty much it.

Example: I tried to do a defense mission yesterday. There is a capsule i need to defend in the middle of the map on some kind of tower.
Enemies spawn around the tower and there are some crates they need to jump in order to get to the capsule (and me).
But they can't. They climb the crate, just to drop off of it. And while they do, their hitboxes seem glitches, 
at least I had problems to hit them. So that mission doesn't play out as "defend the capsule" but as "walk around the map and defeat
glitched npc's" ... not really fun.

Another example: Rescue mission. I expected to go in, free the hostage, and baby-sit him/her to the extraction point.
So I do. Going in, opening the prison-cell, clearing the way for the hostage to the next room. 
Where the NPC stops. No movement, no turning around, nothing. Just frozen in place. In the middle of the room, no obstacles there.
I cleared as much enemies as possible around him and rushed to the extraction point alone, which worked.
But is that the intended strategy for that mission? I don't think so.

tl;dr
like: movement, graphics, content
don't like: ui, MR limit
hate: npc "pathfinding"

That's it for now, but I'll try to accumulate more feedback when I progressed further in the game.
Also, again - If I'm just wrong, correct me, please. Also thanks to DE for this overall great game!

PS: I wish all of you a merry christmas, and relaxing holidays!

Edited by Gosu42

22 minutes ago, Gosu42 said:

Hey everyone, 

Hi and welcome to the forums.

23 minutes ago, Gosu42 said:

- UI -

UI is in the middle of rework and IMO it's getting better step by step.

25 minutes ago, Gosu42 said:

- MR Test Limit -

Well, 24 hours is a typical timegate, just be patient, no point rushing the game. Tests will become a bit harder for high ranks, if you'll get stuck someday - check the wiki and do practice runs in a relay.

29 minutes ago, Gosu42 said:

- NPC "Pathfinding" -

Yes, sometimes enemies stuck and that's why nuke warframes are so popular: you don't have to hunt every last mob down, you can AoE half of the map, especially in missions like defense, survival etc when you don't have to run to the target.

Rescue mission target follows you and even automatically teleports to you if falls behind. Don't expect him to run to the exit in front of you.

Good luck to you and merry Tennobaum!

39 minutes ago, Gosu42 said:

Hey everyone, 

I am a new player to Warframe and wanted to share my first impression on the game.
Keep in mind I'm **really** new to the game, that is about 10 hours of playtime.
But since this game has a galactic sh*tton of features and content, might as well start early with the feedback.

Disclaimer:
This will probably be a long read, if you are up to it, go on, if not, there will probably be a tl;dr.
Also, as I'm really new, there might be dumb assumptions ahead, so if I'm just misinformed or wrong, feel free to correct me.

the "I like" part

- Movement -
I like the movement! It really is awesome. I don't yet have full control over what that tenno-guy is doing, 
but it is a lot of fun anyway. It feels fluid, fast, and non-restrictive. Great.
Going back to any other game feels like you have concrete-shoes on.

- Graphics -
Man those are some awesome designed tilesets, frames, weapons, npcs and cities, I really love all of them so far.
I even kept on motion-blur and DOF for maybe the first time ever in a game because everything looks amazing.

- Content -
Man, I know I'm only scraping the surface right now, but wow there is a lot to do already.
Leveling, building, grinding resources or mods, etc etc. Cool, I love to have choices.
Especially nice is that it can be just a few fast loot-runs if you don't have much time, or you can go on an
endless mission for a chance to get better loot / face stronger enemies / level up your weapons faster.
And it can be decided any time. Grinded the same mission for 2 hours and mom calls for dinner? Just head to the exit.
(Or finish those last 4 waves) Great design! 

the "I don't really like" part 

- UI -
It does the Job, I guess, but it is not intuitive. An example: Yesterday I played with a friend for the first time.
He invited me to a party, which was pretty easily done by username. Our next step was to add each other to our friend list.
The option to do so is burried deep in the communication menu, we really had to actively search for it to find it.
Why not just have an option in the party-member drop-down? below "view profile". That's where both of us assumed it to be.
The next (minor) point that I don't really like when it comes to the UI is the overall appearance. I just don't like the style.
I seems ... steril. Not a big deal, but it might become one after hundreds of hours of play-time, maybe.

- MR Test Limit -
Don't get me wrong, I know there are also good reasons for such a limit. But I still think that some of the lower MR-ranks
should have a shorter time-period for that lock. Maybe make MR1-4 every 8 hours or something like that.
I came to this game as a new player and progressed a little bit. Then on the Mercury junction I got myself a Boltor blueprint.
I had all the mats to build it. But I'm not MR2. I'm about half way there I thought, so I finished some more blue nodes 
on mercury. Filled that bar to MR2 just to be presented with a wall. 4 hours to go until I can attempt a test that was
one-shotting npcs with my sidearm for about 30 sec or so. Not great - don't like.

the "I really can't stand this" part

- NPC "Pathfinding" -
More like "NPC getting stuck on everything and not being able to traverse the map at all". That's pretty much it.

Example: I tried to do a defense mission yesterday. There is a capsule i need to defend in the middle of the map on some kind of tower.
Enemies spawn around the tower and there are some crates they need to jump in order to get to the capsule (and me).
But they can't. They climb the crate, just to drop off of it. And while they do, their hitboxes seem glitches, 
at least I had problems to hit them. So that mission doesn't play out as "defend the capsule" but as "walk around the map and defeat
glitched npc's" ... not really fun.

Another example: Rescue mission. I expected to go in, free the hostage, and baby-sit him/her to the extraction point.
So I do. Going in, opening the prison-cell, clearing the way for the hostage to the next room. 
Where the NPC stops. No movement, no turning around, nothing. Just frozen in place. In the middle of the room, no obstacles there.
I cleared as much enemies as possible around him and rushed to the extraction point alone, which worked.
But is that the intended strategy for that mission? I don't think so.

tl;dr
like: movement, graphics, content
don't like: ui, MR limit
hate: npc "pathfinding"

That's it for now, but I'll try to accumulate more feedback when I progressed further in the game.
Also, again - If I'm just wrong, correct me, please. Also thanks to DE for this overall great game!

PS: I wish all of you a merry christmas, and relaxing holidays!

The UI is currently in the early stages of a rework which is why some areas have different colouring.

For the MR tests the delay is to try and stop you getting through several MR ranks too quickly. As with most F2P games DE use various tricks to slow your progress so you don't consume all of the content too quickly.

Pathfind is a problem and I'm getting to the point where I am going to document every area I see this in the bugs section. I did a defence mission last night that I have done many times without pathfinding issues yet every wave had at least one example in that particular mission which was very annoying. For rescue missions the NPC will basically teleport to you as they don't have bullet jumping so they basically can't move anywhere near as fast as we Tenno can. I've not seen one refuse to move though.

Welcome to Warframe!