Mining Cutters Suggestion

xGryphus

Here's a quick comparison of available mining cutters:

cutter.jpg

We can all clearly see that Sunpoint Plasma Drill is far superior while being a lot more affordable then Focused and Advanced Nosam Cutter, making them absolutely redundant. What's even the point of having other cutters?

My suggestion is to:
1) discard Focused and Advanced cutter
2) give Sunpoint Plasma Drill same stats as basic Nosam Cutter (keep it mainly for aesthetic purpouse)
3) create a set of mining Widgets that all cutters would utilize.

Here's a visual representation of what I have in mind:
Mining.jpg

Errata: basic cutters would have "Somewhat stable mining beam, But unstable while zoomed in".

Above stats are just an example.

This would reduce clutter in gear menu, somehow streamline mining progression and give an option to invest either, Ostron or SU standing. Furthermore, future open world would simply introduce additional Widget rather than brand new, even more powerful cutter.

Edited by xGryphus

Old Ostron Cutters are fine as is, good progression there.

The problem is just the new Sunpoint Drill.

they need to make Sunpoint Not Work on Eidolon Plains.

Keep them separate.

for that matter, keep the Old Mining Minigame in place for the old Ostron Cutters

with the new Heat Minigame exclusive to Sunpoint.

cause, deleting content is lame.

On 2018-12-21 at 6:07 PM, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

The problem is just the new Sunpoint Drill.

they need to make Sunpoint Not Work on Eidolon Plains.

Keep them separate.

This would require you to carry two different items in gear wheel and put an artificial wall between mining experience on PoE and Vallis (as well as any upcoming Landscape if you follow this route).
My point is to create one simple progression patch, no matter where you start your mining experience.
Technically, Focused and Advanced cutters would be converted into corresponding Widgets so anyone who own those would automatically get Widgets while old modes would be utilized to visually enhance Nosam Cutter (depending on amount of installed Widgets).

4 minutes ago, xGryphus said:

This would require you to carry two different items in gear wheel and put an artificial wall between mining experience on PoE and Vallis (as well as any upcoming Landscape if you follow this route).

and why is that a problem?

different campaigns, different progression and tools.

keep them separate and relevant, rather than one making the other obsolete.

2 hours ago, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

and why is that a problem?

different campaigns, different progression and tools.

keep them separate and relevant, rather than one making the other obsolete.

Occam's razor - why carry two separate tools that essentiality same job? Although at this point it could be quite fine to separate PoE and Vallis mining completely, this would be problematic in the long run considering that each and every new Landscape will potential introduce new, separate tool. Also, I would rather see mining as an activity shared between all Landscapes rather then separate experience for each place. Different cutters would serve purely aesthetic function while Widgets would dictate overall progress. This would not only be more intuitive but also would improve immersion and help tight the world together.

Edited by xGryphus

What is the reason behind locking the ability to get the rare gems behind a high standing? How does it make the game better?

I know you will say "progression" but like, you already have to wait till that rank to get the BP for the gem. If anything not having the ability to get the rare gems at first just means I am not going to do any mining until I gain the ability to get those gems, and I really don't think that is what DE wants. If there is going to be progression, it should not just be an arbitrary "you can't do this until I say you can". Progression should be something that you can feel make you better, like the other suggested Widgets.

I do really like the idea of a widget Progression, but I would go a step further and make the two mining tools operate differently. They should not be effectively different, but maybe have the mini-game for each be a different twist off each-other. Let you pick which mining tool you prefer to use than have it arbitrarily chosen for you.

Then it would be nice to see some Ostron and SU specific Widgets to offer at later ranks (that can be used on either mining tool). Like maybe SU offers a widget that highlights mining deposits through walls and an Ostron Widget that makes the mining veins glow, probably have these be the Surah/Cove rewards.

I've had a similar idea in the past. Rather than selling multiple cutters, sell a single cutter and then sell Simaris-like widgets to improve it. You can even do one better and create a single Cutter blueprint available on the Market, for which the different factions would sell you their own cosmetic skins, as well as widgets that improve mining in their own areas.

I'm in full agreement, though. The current situation where the Sunpoint Plasma Drill is both better and cheaper than all the Ostron cutters combined is not tennable. It's driven by technical limitations in how DE future-proofed (or rather, didn't) their mining system. You can't have both cutters equipped at the same time, so it's just easier for the new cutter to replace the old ones rather than forcing the player to dig through the buggy new Gear Wheel every time they go to Cetus.

To be perfectly honest, I wish the same could be done to Fishing. Rather than swapping spears, I'd rather have a single technological Spear that I can swap the Widgets on, and which could have a single unified look. I happen to like the Fortuna Shock Spear the best and would like to use that "skin" for all fishing, for example.