Lore Quests for Warframes

DrakeWurrum

So it was mentioned in today's devstream (according to the news recap) that lore quests are kinda out because it was slowing down development of new warframes.

I can appreciate that. However, many of us LOVE the lore quests. Chains of Harrow is honestly some of DE's best work. So here's food for thought...

Instead of coming up with these lore quests that we must complete in order to access new warframes, flip the script.
Completing the new warframe grants you access to their lore quest. (and, subtly, encourages you to complete that quest with said new frame)

This would allow devs to release a warframe when it's ready, and then the lore quest can come in later if more time is needed to polish it. This also opens the door to coming up with optional lore quests for all the frames we already have that do not have their own lore quests, if the Warframe story writers find that such inspiration hits them hard enough.

As for what rewards such quests offer... I would say stick with nifty decorations for the landing craft, drawn from the frame's lore. I wish more quests gave me random urns, like the Inaros quest did.

Edited by DrakeWurrum

The... point of them doing these is because lore quests are hard to make. It takes a lot of effort from them, and as evidenced with a couple frames now, they don't always even make the quests about the frames - honestly those are in the minority. Silver Grove has Titania as a footnote and Glast Gambit, Vox Solaris and Patient Zero don't even mention their respective frames except for maybe one reference each like an Infested Collar Mesa showing up - not even named, just 'oh no an infested-controlled Warframe!'. Even the New Strange is more focused on Chroma as a 'how is it here' rather than 'what is Chroma?' Most of the frame quests aren't even really focused on the Frames. Chains of Harrow's a masterwork of writing for Rell, not Harrow.

I doubt they're going to stop doing quests, they're just not going to make lore quests about Warframes. In theory, this could also mean we get MORE lore not less - since frames that don't currently have lore can have it retroactively added in, as they're doing with Baruuk and Garuda.

Edited by Loza03
Grammatical adjustment.

26 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

The... point of them doing these is because lore quests are hard to make. It takes a lot of effort from them, and as evidenced with a couple frames now, they don't always even make the quests about the frames - honestly those are in the minority. Silver Grove has Titania as a footnote and Glast Gambit, Vox Solaris and Patient Zero don't even mention their respective frames except for maybe one reference each like an Infested Collar Mesa showing up - not even named, just 'oh no an infested-controlled Warframe!'. Even the New Strange is more focused on Chroma as a 'how is it here' rather than 'what is Chroma?' Most of the frame quests aren't even really focused on the Frames. Chains of Harrow's a masterwork of writing for Rell, not Harrow.

I doubt they're going to stop doing quests, they're just not going to make lore quests about Warframes. In theory, this could also mean we get MORE lore not less - since frames that don't currently have lore can have it retroactively added in, as they're doing with Baruuk and Garuda.

And the point that I am making is that they can add the lore quests for the frames at a later date than the release of the actual frame. Exactly as you say in your very last line. Please read my post with that in mind. And all they have to do is add in lore quests in such a way that the quest is not a pre-requisite for owning the frame.

Right now, in order to build a Harrow, you must absolutely do his quest first. It's the only way to get the main blueprint for the Harrow.
I am proposing that instead, you get the blueprints for frames in other normal ways. Just as with Baruuk and Garuda, the frames are just added in, no quest fanfare. Then, later on, they can add in lore quests for those warframes, with the prerequisite that you must have built those frames (maybe even mastered).

Also, Rell is the origin of Harrow, so saying it's a masterwork of writing for one and not the other isn't true.

Edited by DrakeWurrum