Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How does ping work?

Derpimus

Question

Hello,

I'm bit confused about how ping works in this game.

I'm on PC and there's a region and a ping range option.

That's cool but what server am i connecting to? I've selected NA even tho I'm on EU and no way this is NA ping, even with EU ping it feels like it's using a lower ping, something like local ping.

So, what does region affect exactly? Seems to affect chat region that's for sure.

Does it affect Squad Matchmaking ? And if i select NA even tho I'm on EU then will the average user ping be ~150 while mine stays on EU?

Am I even connecting to an EU server at all or does it use my local ping?

Thanks.

9 answers to this question

Not sure, then. Unless you were the host in each mission. Or maybe matchmaking has a bunch of EU players trying to matchmake with NA and the system just sees you all with low pings to each other. Since one of the players is always host you never really interact with NA servers heavily unless you get matched with someone from NA.

Sorry; I'm just spitballin' here. Can't be sure.

Yes but that's what ping range is for and by default it's at 300 so I shouldn't ever get matched with 600+

But from 30 to 300 ping there's a huge difference.

Right now its 8 AM on EU and i keep matchmaking, looking at when my skills hit enemies, when enemies hit me and the same for allies and constantly see very low ping players while having Region option set to NA.

I'm not complaining but merely trying to understand because this is very new for me after many MMORPGs where even tho my tracert ping is 32 game on EU feels like 80 and NA feels like 160. So I'm really surprised how smooth this game feels.

Ping Limit doesn't really work in Waframe. It might make a single pass then gives up and connects you to whatever.

The netcode in the game itself doesn't handshake with the host on each action you do. That's probably where you're seeing abilities work instantly, ect. Enemy movement is based on the host and if you get a laggy host it will be very noticeable. Your damage to those enemies and (most) abilities however are Client side.

In a nutshell. You see an enemy. You perform an action on the enemy and the enemy dies. All of that is Client side. Your Client then tells the host what you're doing or if the enemy is dead. Latency occurs at this point which is what allows two Nekros to Desecrate the same corpse. Doors opening is Host side, Enemy movement is host side and for some reason Transference is host side but your Client for the most part sends what you're doing to the host and doesn't care if it gets a reply.

It's like UDP protocol on steroids.