Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Frost Rework

(PSN)LoisGordils

Frost is a cool guy, but a bit stale. He doesn't offer anything unique besides his niche Snow Globe. So, I will propose some ideas.

Passive

Frostbite: Enemies within 5 meters of Frost are afflicted by a constant Cold proc that lasts for as long as they are within range.

1. Freeze: In the grand scheme of things, Freeze is underwhelming and redundant. The typical first skill that does damage with a bit else. My proposal is that enemies struck directly with this skill become marked. Killing said enemy will flash-freeze their surroundings, immobilizing any nearby foe.

2. Ice Wave: Every enemy struck by the spikes will grant a Cold damage bonus to you and your allies.

3. Fortifice: Tap&charge. Frost will begin collecting moisture from the air at a rate of X meters/second. When released, Frost saps the area of heat. Enemies are suffer a Cold proc, a knockdown and Frost applies a percentage of the damage dealt as a flat armor increase.

4. Hailstorm: So, my idea is to change Snow Globe to something else. Notice how Exploiter Orbs cast a blizzard around them? I actually really enjoy that concept. Basically, Frost conjures a blizzard around him. Enemies entering the storm are slowed down and suffer an accuracy debuff. Additionally, allies inside it gain an evasion bonus. Frost gains X% to instantly freeze enemies with any attack. Freeze gains double the range and Ice Wave deals more damage. Recasting the ability will immediately dissipate the snowstorm in an explosion that freezes and shatters enemies that have suffered enough damage.

Edited by (PS4)LoisGordils

37 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

He doesn't offer anything unique besides his niche Snow Globe.

Squad-wide Iron Skin comes to mind, and while maybe not unique,
the combo of mass damage + CC (+ debuffing) is hardly terrible, either.

39 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Passive

Frostbite: Enemies within 5 meters of Frost are afflicted by a constant Cold proc that lasts for as long as they are within range.

Would be neat (not least for Condition Overload), his current Passive definitely needs changing.

40 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

1. Freeze: [...] enemies struck directly with this skill become marked. Killing said enemy will flash-freeze their surroundings, immobilizing any nearby foe.

Again, neat, but dunno, seems kinda redundant with Avalanche being available.
Well, there is the Energy cost difference, so it'd depend on the blast size, I guess.

BTW, for the Augment, because hitting allies ninja-flipping all over the place with a slow projectile lol no,
I'd like it to add a hold function, which then simply buffed all allies - including the caster - within Affinity sharing range, with a scaling cost per ally hit.
[Same function could be added to all the elemental buff Augments, just remove Fireball's useless charge already.]

46 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

2. Ice Wave: Every enemy struck by the spikes will grant a Cold damage bonus to you and your allies. 

Speaking of the Freeze Augment, this'd kind of double-dip into the same area.
Plus, how exactly would that buff get transferred to allies? Not least "realistically" I mean.

TBH, I think Ice Wave is ~decent (with high Range at least, woo that covers a lot of ground, without LOS requirements),
but if it needs buffing, maybe give it a "combo meter" (see e.g. Landslide) where successive casts become stronger and cheaper,
and / or build up ice on enemies so they freeze in place (Avalanche-style, so they also shatter on death) if hit multiple times.

1 hour ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

3. Fortifice: Tap&charge. Frost will begin collecting moisture from the air at a rate of X meters/second. When released, Frost saps the area of heat. Enemies are suffer a Cold proc, a knockdown and Frost applies a percentage of the damage dealt as a flat armor increase.

Hm, if you want an Armor buff for Frost, I guess you could just replace your Ice Wave Cold damage buff idea with that.

1 hour ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

4. Hailstorm: So, my idea is to change Snow Globe to something else.

Ah, I'm really not sure that's necessary / a good idea, though.
Snow Globe is iconic, and not least works pretty dang well, I see no reason to replace it.
(Warframe still needs a proper Storm Mage, maybe something like this could be part of that Frame's kit.)

Leaving Snow Globe as-is, Avalanche could definitely use one big change, though:
make the freeze effect not prevent new procs from affecting enemies (same on Atlas and Gara, BTW).
That's pretty much all it needs, it's a solid ability (though I wouldn't say no to a little more range, heh).

Well ... maybe buff the Augment just a tad, either up the per-enemy "Icy Skin" gain (to 80, or 100, even),
or have the value be influenced by Frost's (current) Armor stat (yay e.g. Oberon / Valkyr buffs),
which would also synergize nicely with that Ice Wave Armor buff I suggested earlier.

I really disagree that he doesn't offer much past his globe. Snow globe is just a focal point of one of three ways in which you might build him.

You can build Frost to quickly build powerful bubbles at low cost all over the place. Anyone who's played him for awhile knows that he's extremely useful on excavation maps, and perhaps that's the problem here. If you do a whole lotta excavation, then you're going to be the bubble boy constantly running around and using the exact same ability all the time and all over the place. A good Frost is easily the difference between doing a couple cycles or doing many repeat cycles of excavators.

So this build gets boring. That does not make it bad. Use anything too much, because that's what everyone is expecting you to use, then yeah you can bore yourself.

As for the Ice Wave, lots of secondaries under perform, much like Frost's Freeze ability. But the augment redeems the ability to an incredible agree. It is a deceptively far ranging CC tool. This makes it really strong. It's a long duration, reasonable cost CC tool as well. You can build with a focus on this and then use the ice wave as a great support tool for allies or your own heavy hitting weapon loadout. This is a fantastic offering that everyone can take advantage of. Not being fully unique isn't a reason to change it though. Having overlap with stuff like Nova's four, modded for positive power, doesn't make ice wave bad because they still have their own differences in range, cast speed, modifiers and extra effects.

As for his Avalanche being replaced... Man, stripping obscene amounts of armor from enemies nearby, while freezing them in place, while granting allies proc nullifying armor with the augment is a great ability! There are aspects where you want to use it with care around allies, but many abilities are like that.

His passive and his 1 are both really boring though, I agree with that for sure. But for all the rest of the stuff he has to offer when a person digs deep, DE may not be giving that any attention any time soon.

What could you replace those with that would be more interesting though. An idea that struck me as I was writing was to perhaps give him a passive slow aura that activated when he had a certain amount of energy and got stronger at certain thresholds. So he'd want to hold a certain minimum energy and would get better if he had a large, and full, energy pool.

10 hours ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

1. Freeze: In the grand scheme of things, Freeze is underwhelming and redundant. The typical first skill that does damage with a bit else. My proposal is that enemies struck directly with this skill become marked. Killing said enemy will flash-freeze their surroundings, immobilizing any nearby foe.

this is kindov a nice idea though for sure 🙂 his 1 definitely needs a tweak to something like this

Edited by CrackCook