Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Attaching images/files directly to forum posts

Talhe

Good day to you, Digital Extremes, and fellow Tenno who may be reading;

A relatively small, but still important thing has come to my notice - there is no way to attach files directly to forum posts without using a converted URL which usually has to go through another website to be inserted here. 

This is not a huge issue for most people, but I think everyone here would agree that if there is a way to implement a system where files can be directly attached in forum posts, it would make things a lot easier and more convenient for those who want to post images or any other type of media. The method required to do so currently is not strictly 'bad' but still somewhat outdated as there are many social platforms which do not rely on it anymore and allow you to attach files directly from your computer instead of having to convert it to a specific working link.

Not only would this make it easier for users to post content, it would also be a show of professionalism. As stated before, many social platforms such as discord allow the user to directly attach files to the forum post. Implementing the same feature would make the forums more impressive to onlookers, and reinforce the professionalism of Digital Extremes and Warframe's website.

Thank you for your time, and let me know if you agree or disagree with my suggestion!

- Talhe

I don't see how this would add to the "professionalism" of DE. This is just a forum, not a bank. Not to mention, with image hosting platforms existing for that very purpose, I don't see why a mere forum needs such a feature. It would be weird if you couldn't link to image hosting platforms, that would make it look less professional, but being unable to do direct upload... I don't see how that's an issue on a forum, when forums generally aren't expected to have that feature by default anyway.

I also don't know how this would equate to professionalism. However, I wouldn't mind having a way to upload attachments to embed pictures into replies/posts. I could see on one hand how DE might not want to do this as it would mean storing the photos/etc. and all of the maintenance associated with storage/hosting/etc. On the other hand, it would make it more convenient to post photos and it would mean that posts wouldn't suffer from issues like removed photos or anti-hotlink errors.

In any case, I usually just dump my photos to MS OneDrive, Google Drive, imgur, etc. Whatever hosting site my mood fancies at the time. Works okay for me.

• Like 1

DE doesn't want to pay the hosting and bandwidth for the images. Which is fine. Perhaps they don't want to have to worry about any legal issues if people post unlawful things as well. Perfectly understandable. If one is a PC player through Steam, you can post those screenshots. As noted, there are plenty of free picture hosting services that can be used for PC people. I'm not up on current consoles and how easy it is to make and link screenshots with the social stuff they have.

5 minutes ago, Talhe said:

i suppose your responses are all fair enough. thanks for offering potential work-arounds @CedarDpg

It's a pain, I know. But I really don't see DE taking on the burden of hosting photos. The nice thing about those services is they're drag 'n' drop and easy to grab a link from.