Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Companion niche waiting to be filled?

NIkuno

Between later game survivability, varying degrees of upkeep, and a lack of things I find personally interesting in the "support" category, I am left a little unsatisfied with the current companions.

Even after experimenting with several things to try and fill that hole in my heart, it is still just "meh" for me.

Now, I am not saying what I have in mind would be the end-all-be-all, and it has the distinct possibility to fall outside the realm of what DE wants for the game in general, but I would like to share it anyway and see the feedback on such an idea.

Spoiler

Core Concepts (balance notwithstanding)

1) Appearance of a basic Cephalon-based architecture that would occupy the same physical space as a sentinel

2) Indestructible while having no offensive capabilities

3) Follows the trend of modularity to provide different combinations of auras/stats 

-I first started thinking of the appearance as a "power crystal", but that was not very thematic and went with the above. An Orokin-type artifact could work too. 

-No head pats, no stabilizers, no bleed-out state, no Primed Regen (or Reawakening). Just pure, unadulterated, passive bonuses.

-The first thoughts I had were geared towards the idea having a slot for only certain auras and one regular slot that will accept/apply certain warframe mods, but I figured that would be more difficult to keep things in line so that it would not be too overpowered.

The real trouble would be making the stats in general feel worth it while not overshadowing other options. 

TL;DR - Basically a "stat stick", for lack of a better phrase

Spoiler

I just thought of this as I was about to post, but this whole thing for me could also be solved with a dedicated healing sentinel. Probably.

EDIT: Perhaps something along the lines of:

-Precept 1: [Sentinel Name] Becomes immune to all damage, but cannot take offensive actions/ locked out of equipping other weapons.

-Precept 2: Can instantly revive one ally within [X]m every [X]s.

-Signature weapon: Heals for [X] of maximum health (instead of that base health nonsense), gains a bonus for having the precepts equipped (or being equipped on [Sentinel Name] in general).

Edited by NIkuno
Added Additional Text

Arcanes my friend, arcanes. I doubt they will ever release a fully fledged support sentinel with energy restoring and Oberon-level healing capabilities, because so many other alternatives already exist for filling support. The combination of Shield Charger, Guardian and Medi-Ray isn't as bad as some people might make you believe. I just wish there were more tanky sentinels that wouldn't die the second they are taken into high level play.

1 minute ago, Padre_Akais said:

You know what would really fix that hole in your heart?

❤️ Almost.

And I will always spout "support this, support that" at every opportunity I get. Perhaps it will work someday. Someday.

1 minute ago, Wyrmius_Prime said:

Arcanes my friend, arcanes. I doubt they will ever release a fully fledged support sentinel with energy restoring and Oberon-level healing capabilities, because so many other alternatives already exist for filling support. The combination of Shield Charger, Guardian and Medi-Ray isn't as bad as some people might make you believe. I just wish there were more tanky sentinels that wouldn't die the second they are taken into high level play.

You are not wrong, and I do run double Arcane Grace along with the Vazarin School. And usually Oberon with Phoenix Renewal. Its just that there are times that I will use other frames, or prioritize downing that high level heavy gunner over going to revive so that I don't die as well. Nothing is perfect, I know, but I would like to have that additional option to support my team. Plus I like Hunter Adrenaline/ Rage over shields, so =P 

• Like 1

There's lots of suggestions out there for people with various concepts of what they think are good ideas. Most of them i read and think "why did this person think so little about how bad their idea was and post it". But I honestly have to say, the idea of a passive sentinel is very intriguing. I like it a lot, but of course with something that has this much potential, the balance is increeeedibly important.

As you said, the key is making the stats feel worth it, without overshadowing other options.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Azlen said:

There's lots of suggestions out there for people with various concepts of what they think are good ideas. Most of them i read and think "why did this person think so little about how bad their idea was and post it". But I honestly have to say, the idea of a passive sentinel is very intriguing. I like it a lot, but of course with something that has this much potential, the balance is increeeedibly important.

As you said, the key is making the stats feel worth it, without overshadowing other options.

Thank you for the positive feedback. I do my best to keep the ideas I share within the realm of possibilty as much as possible. It's easy to make something overpowered, and I know for a fact that they would not implement something like that.

Though I do find it interesting, and daresay fun, to push the boundaries while still working within the constraints of precedent. Of course, its all theorycraft in the end since little to none of my ideas have made it in, but I still like to share my thoughts.

And I do acknowledge that while my opinions are very niche and that not everybody likes the same things that I do, I also know there are other players that DO share my playstyle. I just want to see more options for such people.

1 hour ago, NIkuno said:

Also, odd that I am only just now getting the notification/ seeing your comment.

Mod queue, all of their posts have to be checked before they're allowed through.

Which kinda begs the question, how did that one get through. :crylaugh:

I'd suggest creating a proper concept OP, if you end up with a fully fleshed out idea post-feedback. I'm always down for more companions.