Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mouse Input Handling

Treadlight

It's been a while since I last played, and apparently the way mouse input is processed has been changed.  Now Warframe enforces raw input no matter what.  I suppose this is better for some, but the game has become pretty much unplayable for meI need mouse acceleration.  In my system, I have a very specific curve set up with a third-party input driver, so a simple toggle for raw input would be enough for my case.  However, a proper mouse acceleration curve setting submenu would be preferred, as that would actually cover the rest of most mouse users (Wii-remotes & graphics tablets notwithstanding).

I've never seen a game have more advanced mouse acceleration settings than "on or off" so I doubt they'll design a whole menu just for it... but a toggle seems like a relatively simple request. That said I never thought I hear someone say a game is unplayable without mouse acceleration, usually it's the opposite since you generally want a consistent sensitivity for playing shooters seriously.

Edited by AXCrusnik

37 minutes ago, AXCrusnik said:

I've never seen a game have more advanced mouse acceleration settings than "on or off" so I doubt they'll design a whole menu just for it... but a toggle seems like a relatively simple request. That said I never thought I hear someone say a game is unplayable without mouse acceleration, usually it's the opposite since you generally want a consistent sensitivity for playing shooters seriously.

Mouse acceleration is normally supposed to be consistent.  I imagine the reason most people seem to hate it is because of how it's implemented in Windows, it's really bad.  The way I use my mouse means that my hand has a very narrow area to move around in, setting raw input high enough to not have to pick my mouse up every time I want to turn around results in the cursor moving so quickly that I can't aim at anything smaller than the whole screen.  I honestly would rather use a graphics tablet for these things, but I don't think anyone is going to honor just one person's request for all of the Metroid Prime (Wii-remote & DS) aiming options.

14 minutes ago, Treadlight said:

Mouse acceleration is normally supposed to be consistent.

That fact that it changes the sensitivity at all is the inconsistency I was talking about. The curve that determines the cursor's speed should be consistent, but most people who play shooters professionally want one inch of mouse distance to always move the cursor/xhair on screen the same distance, irrespective of the physical mouse's speed, to reinforce muscle memory.

14 minutes ago, Treadlight said:

The way I use my mouse means that my hand has a very narrow area to move around in, setting raw input high enough to not have to pick my mouse up every time I want to turn around results in the cursor moving so quickly that I can't aim at anything smaller than the whole screen.

I know your pain on that one... using a KB/M drawer on a PC desk a long time ago, plus playing a game that required very fast 180 degree turns made me turn my sensitivity way up, which hurt my ability to aim with ranged weapons in said game, but made me able to play melee only fights very well with my limited mouse space.

Edited by AXCrusnik

11 hours ago, AXCrusnik said:

That fact that it changes the sensitivity at all is the inconsistency I was talking about. The curve that determines the cursor's speed should be consistent, but most people who play shooters professionally want one inch of mouse distance to always move the cursor/xhair on screen the same distance, irrespective of the physical mouse's speed, to reinforce muscle memory.

I know your pain on that one... using a KB/M drawer on a PC desk a long time ago, plus playing a game that required very fast 180 degree turns made me turn my sensitivity way up, which hurt my ability to aim with ranged weapons in said game, but made me able to play melee only fights very well with my limited mouse space.

Yeah, it comes down to preference, which I shouldn't need to justify.  The way I have it set up means that a simple toggle of raw/system input is enough for me.  I presume this is a trivial thing to implement, but I haven't been bothered to look into how the game's code is structured, so I don't know.