Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Arx The Fortress Warframe

Proman249

I've been work shopping this guy for a while.  A Warframe Purely, and utterly for defense missions/any mission where you have to defend an area.  So much so that, thats what he CAN only be used for.  A Frame Truly devoted to one specific task, and that is Pure, Unadulterated, rock F***ing hard defense, that would put Leman Russ to shame.  I'm talking Shoulder mounted Cannons, Miniguns, and Energy cannons to make the most war hardened, dakka crazed ork cry in shame that they have not thought about the Pure beauty in this Monsters defense and destructive capabilities.   Also note, I'm in love with defense stuff, as a kid I always designed castles and walls, just constantly chasing that defensive high that I got.  I live, breathe, eat defense.  So enough hype lets get on with it

First the name, I chose Arx because one, its sounds cool, most all latin sounds cool, and yes, I know latin is super cheesy to use in anything so if this goes anywhere DE can choose what ever name they want, just think of Arx as a place holder.  But you gotta admit, Arx sounds reeeeeeally cool.

Second, lets actually talk about the practicality of such a frame and what I'm trying to actually describe when I say mouth-watering defense.  Like almost all frame in warframe, they can basically be used in any mission, and any task, you just gotta mod them right, same goes for weapons.   Also people might say, "Why do we need another Rhino, Atlas,  or Inaros, we have enough tanks"  Well, the thing about that is that the Arx I envision, is going to be balance to where he cannot be used outside of defense missions, or missions that require high mobility, even Rhino can do Stealth missions with easy, but Arx, Arx moves 50% slower than any warframe.  To balance this monster, Arx most 50% slower than Rhino, and also, I know this is crazy, but cannot equip a Main weapon.  You see, I'm in love with the concept of Exalted weapons in this game, specifically Valkyr's Claws, and I wish she could only use her claws as a melee weapon, and hysteria just buffed them but I digress.   With Arx, his entire body is a mobile fortress, and yeah, he will need considerable balancing, or reworked with other people, I'm just giving Version 1.0 and am happy to accept any criticism with what I'm pitching, I legitimately want a frame like this is the game.  

So to recap, Arx's weapons and abilities are as such.  Arx is prohibited from using a Primary weapon, thus in turn, either of his arms can be uses as a Primary in turn.  I dont know the technically work involved but I would like the option of choosing whether or not its on his left, or right hand/arm.  Or, left arm is Ballistic and his right arm is Energy, and his First power is switching between the two, thats interesting, kind of like Equinox's Day night power. 

His second Ability, would be missile bombardment, the design of him in my head, the missiles are fired from either his Legs like mortars, his sides, or his upper back, but the upper back might interfere with what I have for his design over all and ability 4.  Also to note, I'm switching between something like a mecha where his body has the weapons on him and they slide into place, or, since warframes are constructed from organics and the infection, the body morphs to fit the selected command, like switching hand armaments.

Ability three and two can be switched, but I think ability three should be an ability to add armour to ones self for Ability 4.  Kind of like Inaros's Health thing, or like Rhino's skin.  I really havent thought about this one much because its hard to balance with ability 4.  I was thinking every kill you get, adds a stack that can be used to reinforce yourself so Ability 4 can last longer.

Now for the real reason anyone would use this bad boy, Ability 4, Fortress Mode.  So what this does, is lock you into place all cool like, you cannot move except on a swivel to aim at enemies.  Now this comes with the design, but what I'm thinking is that Arx's legs have these cool motion stoppers you see on howitzers and literally any artillery from the 1860's to present day.  And see, this is where his Exalted weapon comes in, his Exalted weapon is these massive cannons on his shoulders that Form/Move up and in the orbiter, you can choose there type and shape.  You want Beam cannons?  Bam! you got them.  You want two spinning miniguns that shoot 1000 AP slugs a second?  Bam, you got them.  And any energy you have will be drained slow or fast depending which will balance out how long you can stay in the mode.  Honestly the more creative the better, but the real drawback is what DE can actually do with the engine to accommodate this Abomination to god. 

Now the fashion, the real reason people play warframe.  Well, first, lets start with the head.  I've got two designs in mind but both take inspiration from Command points on Warships, sci-fi and other.  The head is thick and either has two crescents in an X shape across the face, or goes center horizontal and across both, small little eyes/camera's.

The Body its going to be thicker than a 2 foot Titanium wrapped burrito.  But really I want big divots on the front that when you go into fortress mode thick metal plates shoot out and cover either the face, or most of the body which, depending on how much armour you stack with ability 3, changes how much you're protected in this state.  And for the back, the spine is exposed so if you're in Fortress mode you can also fire missiles from your back, or thats where you can pop out energy tanks or something.  Honestly the possibility are just cool to think about.

For the arms.  Literally just get an Ash prime and rip his arms off and put them on Arx and shave down some parts.  I hate ash prime but god I love his arms.

For the legs I would suggest some kind of Motion suppression systems like either foot clamps that pop off the feet or spikes that shoot off the thighs and dig into the earth below you.

well thats my pitch.  I hope you guys actually like this, I spent quite some time on the abilities and not the design but if you have any suggestions I would love to hear them.  My main goal is to try and make something like this big like Chroma originally was, or something to that effect.  Thanks for reading and I hope I didnt post this in the wrong thread

A Warframe taht whould reduce it's movement ist quite literally against the basic design philosophy of the game.

There are a lot of those heavy artillery warframe concepts and all are universally bad.

This is no exeption.

Also, not being able to use a certain weaponslot ist just a bad idea for sooo many reasons. 1st and foremost, what about sorties which lock you into using bows, sniper rifles, shotguns or assault rifles? In general it whould seriously hinder his longterm fun if he could use less weapons.

The second ability, Missile bombardment, is extremly boring. Simply "press button to do damage". No twist at all. Most abilities from Warframes 5 years ago were more intersting than this. Icewave has at least a slow, for example.

I agree missile's are pretty boring, but press button to do damage is almost 50% of warframe abilities.  Mag's first ability, Banshee's fourth ability can just clear the entire level, Hydroid's fourth is a hallway clearer.  I also agree that removing a primary weapon might be a bad idea, thats where the exalted weapon comes in, its not going to be great at first but warfarming is what it is.  Also The entire idea is made for specific defense defense missions, You dont bring loki, nekros, hydroid, ?mag? to a squadie anyways.  same reason you dont bring a rhino for a stealth mission, they all have there specific purposes.  Now will this stop people from bringing these frames?  Of course not.  

The concept itself sounds....problematic. Especially since we already have a warframe that can do defense and literally nothing else. His name is Frost *rimshot*

Though, OP is clearly a man of culture with all those 40k references. Makes me want to reinstall dawn of war with that ultimate apocalypse mod and do some proper WAAAGHing

6 minutes ago, Proman249 said:

Nice Profile picture

I'm a dog lover.

22 minutes ago, FATEdPondera said:

The concept itself sounds....problematic. Especially since we already have a warframe that can do defense and literally nothing else. His name is Frost *rimshot*

Though, OP is clearly a man of culture with all those 40k references. Makes me want to reinstall dawn of war with that ultimate apocalypse mod and do some proper WAAAGHing

Limbo says hello and good day.