Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excalibur need to be re-balanced

Mados.sys

Since he's one of the most overused Warframes and being so on the wrong way since his rework came years ago, this seriously has to be done.

Excalibur players just see him as Exalted blade and nothing else, a gun, a turret over the Swordsman he's suppose to be, and i mean Exalted blade is overpower so thats pretty much why, literally an Exalted Gunblade for the way is being used, for little to no cost at all.

Radial javelin and Radial blind are ok the way they are, the only unbalanced abilitys are Slash dash and Exalted blade, and there are some recommendations to make them better:

Slash dash: Simply make it as it was before, hitting anyone on his path, it doesn't affect him at all, targeting enemies just doesn't work, he barely target 2 enemies and i still don't know why they didn't worked on it yet, also make Exalted blade's mods work for Slash dash as well, only the mods on a equiped melee weapon make Slash dash stronger, and that feels wrong, i don't want to build a melee specially for Slash dash in order to make it have is full potential, and since i have to spam it (as i said, it doesn't target more than 2 enemies, they're never enough close to each other) it just doesn't make it worth it, i'll have to build a full efficiency Excalibur or bring Zenurik, the old Slash dash cutting everything on his path did as twice more, for less cost.

Exalted blade: Here's my main problem, people depend too much, maybe even more than i think since they use Excalibur just because of this ability, so my idea is to make him shot waves ONLY when channeling, BUT ALSO have x2 damage, just like Revenant, when you activate Exalted blade, the thing has little to no cost at all and its just fair to have an actual melee weapon seeing it that way, a light sword with the damage of a Galatine prime and the speed of a Skana, but the waves are unnecesary, it just makes him as i said a turret instead of a swordsman, so in order to compensate that, the channeling would make the sword shot the waves, for the double energy cost, and with double damage, not counting the x1,5 channeling extra damage, making them stack, and also the blade itself without the waves will have something that does have, but no one really cares about since its pretty much a gun at the moment, and its Combo counter, without the blades, players would use Exalted blade as an actual melee, they'll (hopefuly) use combos and hitting enemies will rise up the combo counter, making Exalted blade stronger and stronger, so when they channel, they'll have (for example) x2,5 multiplier combo counter, x2,0 channel plus waves, and x1,5 channeling base damage.

I dont know how many matches sadly have been with this sort of people, saying that all of his abilitys are useless, and i just don't want to believe it, i know he's more than a turret. I don't see why this shouldn't be applied, not only will stop the Exalted spam, but it will make players use better his abilitys.

Valkyr's hysteria got the overheat nerf, costing more and more energy when you have it activated for long periods, and just because Excalibur isn't inmortal (cof cof Life strike) or because is the Poster boy doesn't mean that the way it is now, it makes it fair and it shouldn't be never and ever touched again.

Excalibur would finally rice up, as the swordsman is supposed to be, i pray for DE to think about this... 3 years since his rework and nothing changed...

Edited by Deluxe-Chimera

20 minutes ago, Deluxe-Chimera said:

Since he's one of the most overused Warframes and being so on the wrong way since his rework came years ago, this seriously has to be done.

Excalibur players just see him as Exalted blade and nothing else, a gun, a turret over the Swordsman he's suppose to be, and i mean Exalted blade is overpower so thats pretty much why, literally an Exalted Gunblade for the way is being used, for little to no cost at all.

Radial javelin and Radial blind are ok the way they are, the only unbalanced abilitys are Slash dash and Exalted blade, and there are some recommendations to make them better:

Slash dash: Simply make it as it was before, hitting anyone on his path, it doesn't affect him at all, targeting enemies just doesn't work, he barely target 2 enemies and i still don't know why they didn't worked on it yet, also make Exalted blade's mods work for Slash dash as well, only the mods on a equiped melee weapon make Slash dash stronger, and that feels wrong, i don't want to build a melee specially for Slash dash in order to make it have is full potential, and since i have to spam it (as i said, it doesn't target more than 2 enemies, they're never enough close to each other) it just doesn't make it worth it, i'll have to build a full efficiency Excalibur or bring Zenurik, the old Slash dash cutting everything on his path did as twice more, for less cost.

Exalted blade: Here's my main problem, people depend too much, maybe even more than i think since they use Excalibur just because of this ability, so my idea is to make him shot waves ONLY when channeling, BUT ALSO have x2 damage, just like Revenant, when you activate Exalted blade, the thing has little to no cost at all and its just fair to have an actual melee weapon seeing it that way, a light sword with the damage of a Galatine prime and the speed of a Skana, but the waves are unnecesary, it just makes him as i said a turret instead of a swordsman, so in order to compensate that, the channeling would make the sword shot the waves, for the double energy cost, and with double damage, not counting the x1,5 channeling extra damage, making them stack, and also the blade itself without the waves will have something that does have, but no one really cares about since its pretty much a gun at the moment, and its Combo counter, without the blades, players would use Exalted blade as an actual melee, they'll (hopefuly) use combos and hitting enemies will rise up the combo counter, making Exalted blade stronger and stronger, so when they channel, they'll have (for example) x2,5 multiplier combo counter, x2,0 channel plus waves, and x1,5 channeling base damage.

I dont know how many matches sadly have been with this sort of people, saying that all of his abilitys are useless, and i just don't want to believe it, i know he's more than a turret. I don't see why this shouldn't be applied, not only will stop the Exalted spam, but it will make players use better his abilitys.

Valkyr's hysteria got the overheat nerf, costing more and more energy when you have it activated for long periods, and just because Excalibur isn't inmortal (cof cof Life strike) or because is the Poster boy doesn't mean that the way it is now, it makes it fair and it shouldn't be never and ever touched again.

Excalibur would finally rice up, as the swordsman is supposed to be, i pray for DE to think about this... 3 years since his rework and nothing changed...

but isn't channelling gone after melee 3.0?

• Like 6

Since he's one of the most overused Warframes

Well, duh, he's the most popular starter frame, and every player gets a free upgraded version as they progress through the storyline. This is not a problem.

Radial javelin ... are ok the way they are

Stopped reading here.
Radial Javelin is one of the worst abilities in the game right now, on top of being arguably the most redundant ability in the game (as it does literally everything worse than Radial Blind on just about anything past level 40). The best thing DE could do for players who use Excal at high levels is to delete his 3 and replace it with literally anything else.

Edited by SortaRandom
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, SortaRandom said:

Radial Javelin is one of the worst abilities in the game right now, on top of being arguably the most redundant ability in the game (as it does literally everything worse than Radial Blind on just about anything past level 40). The best thing DE could do for players who use Excal at high levels is to delete his 3 and replace it with literally anything else.

What about a Genji like deflect ability?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Deluxe-Chimera said:

What? OVERused? You know, when people start playing this game, they have an option to choose between just 3 warframes: Excalibur, Mag and Volt. And most of them choose Excalibur or Volt. That's why they are in the usage top. Do you even play public games? Try it, you'll definitely see some really overused warframes like Equinox, Saryn or Mesa. And you know why they are overused? Because of a huge AoE wiping damage potential.

What does Excal have for AoE? Radial Blind (which doesn't work through walls and it's fine because stunlock potential) and Radial Javelin, which, as you claim, is OK THE WAY IT IS. Are you serious? RJ is a useless ability that uses "Enemy Awareness System" as a check which means it sometimes can't even hit the enemies in front of you thanks to AI quality. Not even talking about its laughable damage. Though, even if Radial Javelin was buffed in terms of damage and area of effect it would still be a bad ability because THEN it would really be overused as an AoE spam ability.

The best thing to do to Excalibur would be to replace Radial Javelin with a defense-type ability, speed up the animation of Slash Dash and make it utilize Exalted Blade mods.

Melee 3.0 is on the way, it will remove channeling and will change the way combos work, so it's pointless to suggest any changes to Exalted Blade gameplay in order to fit it in an outdated Melee 2.0 system.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, (PS4)Equinox21697 said:

What about a Genji like deflect ability?

Every Warframe can do that. Just block with your melee out whilst channeling. After 3.0 you wont even need to do that, you'll block all incoming damage and reflect it anyway.

• Like 4

The old wave-style Slash Dash did feel better and the targeting for the current one isn't great. Not to mention it can place you at random angles when facing your opponent for EB's auto parry or at least knowing which direction you're coming out of a Dash is more ideal.

Exalted weapons are just a flawed concept. Either they're good enough to use 100% of the time or they aren't. There's no in between.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ksaero said:

What? OVERused? You know, when people start playing this game, they have an option to choose between just 3 warframes: Excalibur, Mag and Volt. And most of them choose Excalibur or Volt. That's why they are in the usage top. Do you even play public games?

Indeed my man, 12 matches of 20 are with Excalibur, and not exactly starters because if we where talking about a starter, it would be on lith fisures, Earth, Venus and Mercury.

I'm talking about Axi fisures, Arbitration (tsh, some Excaliblades still shot waves at the drones), Sorties, all the time i'm getting a squad with one or two Excaliburs, even Saryn feels quite unusual for me compared to them, and not even that BUT when i check some profiles... oh boy... +500k kills with Excalibur, and the rest of the frames, no more than 200, that's one of the reasons why i wanted to talk about this, he's not enough balanced to be a good starting frame, since everyone is just like "oh build him for exalted, all of his abilitys are useless" and there it comes the Excaliblades, shooting waves to kill walls and containers, except for enemies, totally forgetting about what else they can do, like... using an actual weapon.

And if that wasn't enough, Excaliblades prefer to keep spamming E over healing a fallen ally, using Radial blind to save the defense and even kill way faster with the extra "stealth" damage, or simply making a combo to ragdoll that almost totally inmortal Exium heavy gunner/Bombard that deals an insane amount of damage

10 hours ago, SortaRandom said:

Are you sure about that? there are worst abilitys when we are talkin about damage on X area, like Banshee's Sound quake, locking her in place to make CC, and 200 on explosive damage, oh... but the only vulnerable enemies to explosive are ancients and moas

9 hours ago, Ksaero said:

What does Excal have for AoE? Radial Blind (which doesn't work through walls and it's fine because stunlock potential) and Radial Javelin, which, as you claim, is OK THE WAY IT IS. Are you serious? RJ is a useless ability that uses "Enemy Awareness System" as a check which means it sometimes can't even hit the enemies in front of you thanks to AI quality. Not even talking about its laughable damage. Though, even if Radial Javelin was buffed in terms of damage and area of effect it would still be a bad ability because THEN it would really be overused as an AoE spam ability.

Melee 3.0 is on the way, it will remove channeling and will change the way combos work, so it's pointless to suggest any changes to Exalted Blade gameplay in order to fit it in an outdated Melee 2.0 system.

Yeah you're right with Radial javelin, that's why i said that is ok the way it is, is that, or make it stronger with the risk of being a Press X to win, the ex-main problem of Ash and Saryn, and yeah it may be pointless, but i have the fear that they'll not even touch a little bit Exalted blade, leaving it like the Turret Excalibur is at the moment, and i really want him to be more that just the Light stick shooting waves everywhere.

7 hours ago, Xzorn said:

Exalted weapons are just a flawed concept. Either they're good enough to use 100% of the time or they aren't. There's no in between.

Or they are just over the top, like i always say, Exalted blade it's the fusion of a Skana, Galatine prime and Orthos Prime or Redeemer, making a melee Fluctus, the other Exalted weapons feels like a joke, Titania's is just a sword, not big deal (and reasonable since she has Dex Pixia), Valkyr has the nerf and has a very short range, and Wukong... i don't know man, his Bo is quite damn huge and can do a nice CC, but it has the same problem as Excalibur, but worse, he's just being inmortal and Primal fury, since being a Cloud is quite useless and the first ability is just a poke, same problem with Slash dash, but this one is individual.

2 minutes ago, Eathian said:

I never use Exalted blade. Even after the addition of the augment it's still incredibly weak. Radial Blind for the win.

You have my respect, for what i've tested is not that weak since it has the same damage than Galatine Prime but yeah, i feel like you're on the right way, using him on a more balanced way, i mean, Melees can do the same and twice more for the combo counter if you know what you're doing.

I wish i could find more Excaliburs actually using Radial blind, many missions could have been saved without panicking and doing the job faster and safer

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skoll- said:

So you're basically saying, people use him as he's intended to be used, with the most popular build being a duration Exalted Blade one, and that's... a bad thing?

Sounds like OP has bad experiences with the frame and is trying to justify their feelings publicly by creating a problem where there is none.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Every Warframe can do that. Just block with your melee out whilst channeling. After 3.0 you wont even need to do that, you'll block all incoming damage and reflect it anyway.

It’s hard to come up with a repaclement, but a mark along the lines of Nehza that causes energy or health drops on kill or maybe a radiant burn the heals when damaging enemies

3 hours ago, Eathian said:

I never use Exalted blade. Even after the addition of the augment it's still incredibly weak. Radial Blind for the win.

I recently beefed the old man up, but found slash dash aug more beastly over chromatic blade. Higher survivability and more deadly against 20 155 eximus corrupted bombardiers in the old simulacrum. Blind and slash dash are a vicious pairing. 

Edited by (PS4)teacup775
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, (PS4)teacup775 said:

I recently beefed the old man up, but found slash dash aug more beastly over chromatic blade. Higher survivability and more deadly against 20 155 eximus corrupted bombardiers in the old simulacrum. Blind and slash dash are a vicious pairing. 

I agree

21 hours ago, Skoll- said:

So you're basically saying, people use him as he's intended to be used, with the most popular build being a duration Exalted Blade one, and that's... a bad thing?

Not at all, but the way it has been created is just press 4 and spam E and nothing else, and my idea is practicly make Exalted blade stronger like Revenant's dance, at the same time giving a reason to trully melee enemies, the melee counter and the fact that Excalibur is a swordsman you know, then when you channel the waves benefit of the channeling damage, the x2 extra damage, maybe they'll remove channeling on melee 3,0 but i don't know, at least i tried

18 hours ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

Sounds like OP has bad experiences with the frame and is trying to justify their feelings publicly by creating a problem where there is none.

Something like that, just the bad experiences, since watching people spamming Exalted everywhere after 3 years starts to be quite annoying but not only that, they forget than Radial javelin can actually kill pretty well below level 40, and above it, they can radial blind and instakill enemies with 1 or 2 waves, just some players knows how to use it and when would be a good time to synergy his skills, and others just... use it when there's no enemies at all or when they could do something better with guns and the other skills. (i don't know, it looks like a warframe drug, once they take it, they never get away from it)

17 hours ago, (PS4)teacup775 said:

I wonder how you people build Slash dash, i found it really hard to build and i can't kill a lvl 100 without struggling and having to spam 1 (with the risk of sending myself flying away because of targeting)

48 minutes ago, Deluxe-Chimera said:

I wonder how you people build Slash dash, i found it really hard to build and i can't kill a lvl 100 without struggling and having to spam 1 (with the risk of sending myself flying away because of targeting)

Blinding them makes them a stationary target. Other than that the right damage type on exalted blade or a melee weapon.

Slash dash is a closing maneuver. Blind and close or close and blind. Range is nice using these tactics. The aug bumps melee counter up so his damage tends to explode.

try hunter adrenaline, a life strike, and a huge pool of health and armor (I went with two umbrals). If you are not using exalted blade, you can void dash for postiob while the AI whacks on an invulnerable tar baby.

Edited by (PS4)teacup775

On 2018-12-25 at 3:07 AM, Deluxe-Chimera said:

so if Hysteria didn't consume more energy over time, how often do you think Excalibur would die with life strike (which consumes energy itself) compared to how often Valkyr will die with immortal Hysteria?

melee 3.0 is sure to bring some changes to melee-based abilities like hysteria and exalted blade.

so dont worry, it is possible for hysteria to receive some changes in the future along with the melee 3.0 update.

Well I have the perfect OP build for Excalibur. I’ve given it to a few dudes and they haven’t stopped using Umbra ever since. They tried to make “better” builds but they all have too many flaws. The main build uses the combination of Surging Dash with(if chosen) exalted blade for deadly, almost instant, kills. Combined with the Paracesis or Skiajati, stalker stands 0% chance. Only “flaw” is not being able to blind enemies which would almost never be needed. Pair Umbra up with Nezha for armor, nidus to increase his abilities, and rhino to increase his damage... yeah let’s just say the game will get boring very quickly. 

The only change I do agree with is the third ability. Maybe if the damage stacked with combo multiplier or something, it would be okay. But as of right now, it is completely useless against strong enemies. Which the build I have for Critical Surging Exalted Dash makes it not needed anyways.

Be nice if he summoned swords that deflect bullets instead and could gain a second exalted blade if active when exalted blade or surging dash is used.

Or DE adds the combo multiplier bonus to the third ability. Otherwise maxed power strength does nothing. While my CSED build can kill level 100-150 easily. Not instant but easy. 

On ‎2018‎-‎12‎-‎25 at 1:41 PM, Deluxe-Chimera said:

Indeed my man, 12 matches of 20 are with Excalibur, and not exactly starters because if we where talking about a starter, it would be on lith fisures, Earth, Venus and Mercury.

"Starter" is misleading considering that no frame is in the long term a starter frame; even Excalibur use to drop from Pluto boss, definitely not a starter planet under your terms. You can start with him and you get a free upgrade that is the only way to designate him as a starter. After that like any other frame you can sink you resources into them to make them do what you want. 

I'm talking about Axi fisures, Arbitration (tsh, some Excaliblades still shot waves at the drones), Sorties, all the time i'm getting a squad with one or two Excaliburs,

Axi's are not hard. They are highest tiered fissures but they are mid-game content at best.

Are you saying idiots waste time trying to use EB or that they can kill them the Arbitration drones with waves (because last I remember you can't; even with the actual blade part)? But that really has less to do with Excalibur than it probably just the idiot controlling them. That said, the exalted class Warframes get hosed the most in Arbitration because they get locked into a stance that puts them in more risk than just not using them at all with the frequency of the drones. I can't blame them for trying to have fun with it.

And sorties are simple and Excalibur is rather rounded for handling many situations while being powerful making him a more common choice. Then you have people that just like Excalibur and his playstyle over any other frame.

even Saryn feels quite unusual for me compared to them

Maybe that is because Saryn isn't as grand as the forums would like everyone to believe. She works great in Onslaught because of how the enemy spawns work. She does okay in Survival but otherwise she isn't particularly special than any other DD frame.

and not even that BUT when i check some profiles... oh boy... +500k kills with Excalibur, and the rest of the frames, no more than 200, that's one of the reasons why i wanted to talk about this,

Part of that is because the Warframe kill stats only count kills with abilities. For example, Chroma isn't going to rack up kill statistics (outside low level messing around) because he only gets credit for kills with his 1 and 4 which people aren't going to use to kill most the time. EB on the other hand is a powerful ability that blends into other systems. So outside your anecdotal evidence, without inquiring what frames you looked at and whether those people even like to play other frames; there is no actionable information gained here. People are allowed to like and main Excalibur, it is not a crime.

he's not enough balanced to be a good starting frame, since everyone is just like "oh build him for exalted, all of his abilitys are useless" and there it comes the Excaliblades, shooting waves to kill walls and containers, except for enemies, totally forgetting about what else they can do, like... using an actual weapon.

Again he is a frame you can start with not a "starter frame". Volt is also under the same category but is far more powerful than Excalibur. Mag use to be the same way and honestly with some know how destroys everything. And anyone that suggests "just build for EB" doesn't understand the game as a whole being that RB (alone) only would boost EB further. However EB is the ideal choice. Why? Because EB also boosts Excalibur's base survivability while being playing into his theme.

And why does anyone have to use an actual weapon? You choose how you want to play the game, that is the point of modding and a loadout in the first place. If I want to go Ember and only use Fireball as my target skill and mix around with the other skills... that is my choice.

And if that wasn't enough, Excaliblades prefer to keep spamming E over healing a fallen ally, using Radial blind to save the defense and even kill way faster with the extra "stealth" damage, or simply making a combo to ragdoll that almost totally inmortal Exium heavy gunner/Bombard that deals an insane amount of damage

I mean again this is a player problem, not Excalibur. You put that player on any other frame and that does not equate to them using their abilities properly to support or even giving a second thought to others.

Or they are just over the top, like i always say, Exalted blade it's the fusion of a Skana, Galatine prime and Orthos Prime or Redeemer, making a melee Fluctus, the other Exalted weapons feels like a joke, Titania's is just a sword, not big deal (and reasonable since she has Dex Pixia), Valkyr has the nerf and has a very short range, and Wukong... i don't know man, his Bo is quite damn huge and can do a nice CC, but it has the same problem as Excalibur, but worse, he's just being inmortal and Primal fury, since being a Cloud is quite useless and the first ability is just a poke, same problem with Slash dash, but this one is individual.

Over the top in comparison to what exactly? None of them are even top tier in their own category. A meta gun is going to beat them all. A regular melee weapon modded properly will win in the long term (and you don't even need to worry about energy drain). Now I have my (several and its own thread worthy) gripes about Valkyr and Wukong but they technically have the better scaling exalteds. They both do on average more damage than EB even if EB is easier to use (and they both certainly have better survival than Excalibur in general). If it wasn't for how amazingly powerful RB is, EB wouldn't even hold a candle to Hysteria or Primal Fury even if we factor in the augment and CO potential.

Are you sure about that? there are worst abilitys when we are talkin about damage on X area, like Banshee's Sound quake, locking her in place to make CC, and 200 on explosive damage, oh... but the only vulnerable enemies to explosive are ancients and moas

Even suggesting Javelin to be close to acceptable, honestly, undercuts your whole arguement. Banshee is also a poor example to draw against considering unless the ability factors in your weapon mods damage in general is pointless. In this particular example, Sound Quake is far better in both range and utility, so much so they had to change it... twice. Javelin on the other hand does nothing that RB + EB wont also do being that it needs LoS, and RB + EB is going to carry you much further.

On 2018-12-26 at 11:50 AM, Deluxe-Chimera said:

Something like that, just the bad experiences, since watching people spamming Exalted everywhere after 3 years starts to be quite annoying but not only that, they forget than Radial javelin can actually kill pretty well below level 40, and above it, they can radial blind and instakill enemies with 1 or 2 waves, just some players knows how to use it and when would be a good time to synergy his skills, and others just... use it when there's no enemies at all or when they could do something better with guns and the other skills. (i don't know, it looks like a warframe drug, once they take it, they never get away from it)

Yes it's annoying to see people play terribly with a frame.  That doesn't mean the frame itself or an ability in said frame is automatically problomatic.  Excalibur in terms of a full kit is the bar that all frames should at least be at.  He's the proof of concept for the game and he works very well without anything overly gimmicky.  I personally rarely see excal's and when I do they make full use of his kit barring jav.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

He's the proof of concept for the game and he works very well without anything overly gimmicky.

Oh I luv this. And it is so true. I luv my Umbra and honesty, sometimes plenty of time passes when I see another one.

If we would take the initial comment seriously, we could start arguing about Mesa, Saryn, Banshee, Equinox, Volt, etc... With the right builds you can 'overuse' any frame.

6 minutes ago, RatataBanana said:

Oh I luv this. And it is so true. I luv my Umbra and honesty, sometimes plenty of time passes when I see another one.

If we would take the initial comment seriously, we could start arguing about Mesa, Saryn, Banshee, Equinox, Volt, etc... With the right builds you can 'overuse' any frame.

Volt/banshee are both super fantastic frames in the way exal is.  Mesa is weird for me.  I like and dislike how her kit focuses on her 4.  I wish her 1 bolstered normal gunplay.  Maybe giving it a build up time with the current damage thing.  and then after that period of build up has passed she now has higher status/crit chance.