Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Octavia is not OCTAvia

X2Y2

55 minutes ago, Lucian_Adrion said:

It is pentatonic scales because this game is based on Asian influences

It's made because of the sonic hell that would be 4 Octavias with a wannabe Skrillex behind the Mandachord.

On 2018-12-25 at 9:18 AM, Noryangjin said:

Her name should be "Pentavia".

Or they keep the name that most people would instantly associate with her theme, music, and keep her abilities within the realm of a fun gimmick that is unable to produce really awful noises.

Actually, it's pentatonic scales because of how they had to make it work mathematically for Abilities. Where you split the ability buffs onto the various notes, how much buff can be given per note, how much buff can be achieved for hitting that note in the ability, and how many notes total you can apply in a bar.

If they could have done it with eight, then they would have done it with eight. As it is, the functional side of the ability requires five and the creative side had to take a hit because of it.

Also, the name went through the Design Council voting to choose it, and there were literally five better names suggested for it, but because every single Design Council vote appears to devolve into 'lowest common denominator' it became Octavia.

• 1 month later...

There have been numerous topics about this. Let me quote myself from another:

"""   I'd like full musical freedom for my Octavia! Up to 4 minutes of music with those in-game instruments. Editable over 7 octaves ("Octavia"!!!), variable tempo, variable note length. Stored as a client-side .midi. I know .midi is very limited (for example, you can't even fade in/out notes), but it's reasonable size to be uploaded during a loading screen.

And make her able to long-press abilities to refresh their duration without replacing them. Always refresh the oldest Partitioned Mallet. If this augment prevents implementation of this, feel free to implement it as "bugged", always refreshing the last one.

If there are 2 Octavias present, sure, revert to backup original Mandachord so squadmates don't get earraped.

And special thanks to DE for putting "Mute Octavia" in audio options. There could be 30% chance for that tip on a loading screen when you get an Octavia as a squad member.

Edit: I've never bought plat, but I'd pay for this exalted/exclusive cosmetic. Would be my 1st wallet opening for Warframe.   """

Also, check this out:
I'd like to be able reproduce a few of my favorite songs in Warframe and am willing to put in the effort... The example below doesn't even offer different note lengths.

On 2018-12-26 at 8:05 PM, Birdframe_Prime said:

Actually, it's pentatonic scales because of how they had to make it work mathematically for Abilities. Where you split the ability buffs onto the various notes, how much buff can be given per note, how much buff can be achieved for hitting that note in the ability, and how many notes total you can apply in a bar.

If they could have done it with eight, then they would have done it with eight. As it is, the functional side of the ability requires five and the creative side had to take a hit because of it. 

Round it to the closest integer -.-'
Creative side shouldn't be suffering from design. I'd say skip releasing a warframe or two and rework Octavia.

People who play for efficiency can do so. Because of the current limitations, my "3" is just a muted spam. Some don't even try with the other instruments.
People who play for the music experience should be encouraged to do so. That's the theme of that Warframe.
And praise the people who do both at once.

Edited by Uthael

45 minutes ago, Uthael said:

Creative side shouldn't be suffering from design. I'd say skip releasing a warframe or two and rework Octavia.

People who play for efficiency can do so. Because of the current limitations, my "3" is just a muted spam. Some don't even try with the other instruments.
People who play for the music experience should be encouraged to do so. That's the theme of that Warframe.
And praise the people who do both at once.

The problem with making actual music and using her in combat is that it isn't efficient. Like you said, muted spam is still currently the best way to handle her 3.

Unfortunately, her entire kit needs a complete change to render any of the music capabilities worthwhile. 

36 minutes ago, Xaxma said:

The problem with making actual music and using her in combat is that it isn't efficient. Like you said, muted spam is still currently the best way to handle her 3.

Unfortunately, her entire kit needs a complete change to render any of the music capabilities worthwhile. 

Biggest issue with her current kit and making actual music isnt really the base mandachord, its that the audio que happens just over 1/10th of a second before the input timing while the average healthy human reaction time is 0.01~0.02 (120-180 ms) when it comes to sound ques. Combined with a TERRIBLE visual indicator which scales based on range and is based not on being "when the 4 segments touch" nor "when they touch octavia" but on a arbitrary "x distance for your input to complete the circle" means one can only benefit from the buffs while vaguely being in tune to whatever song one made by making the song pure superspam.

Tavi may be super broken in terms of kit power, but i doubt she will ever get much play till her audio vs input timing gets fixed or she gets a "when to press" indicator lines for the 4 section circle guitar hero/beat/osu/rythm game style.

On 2019-02-01 at 5:43 PM, Uthael said:

Okay, but, and hear me out on this:

Creativity is limited. It's not 'suffering'.

Working within and around the limitations is one of the essential skills of creativity. Yes, being given the tools to have better creativity would be a nice and fun change. But. There is no reason, other than a relatively minor point about an octave being easier to be creative with, to touch Octavia at all.

With that as the literal only driving force for the change... it's not going to happen any time soon or even as any kind of priority. The kit does work, and the kit has creativity. Could there be more? Yes. Does she need or is it worth the Devs putting in the effort to give her more? That's leaning towards the 'no' portion.