Why the word "Coon" makes players suspended?

(PSN)Root_Jail

So today I saw someone in the chat says the following (in north America psn servers) "Say the word  Nooc backwards" and when I did I got suspended.. But when I went to find what coon means...I got nothing in my Google Search...If I got suspended because I got trolled from some random player telling me to say "Coon" in the chat Why it doesn't have a meaning? and why no body reported him/her? At this rate I will stop continue going in and farming with players for A Week...What a great holiday to begin with...Right after I got Home from 30 days final exams stress thingie

Maybe you shouldn't trust when people say "Hey say this backwards!" or "I'll give you X if you say X backwards in region!"  as those are kinda obviously bait to get people suspended.
And if people are doing that feel free to report them and let DE take care of it (and they do take action on those people when it is brought to their attention).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tsukinoki said:

Maybe you shouldn't trust when people say "Hey say this backwards!" or "I'll give you X if you say X backwards in region!"  as those are kinda obviously bait to get people suspended.
And if people are doing that feel free to report them and let DE take care of it (and they do take action on those people when it is brought to their attention).

I've hit that report button repeatedly in the past. Hasn't had much of an effect. 

Also, if it's so obvious, then there should be a way to use it against the scammers. 

I personally got an automated week long ban from all the chats for mentioning the "maine coon" cat breed in a completely appropriate context. At which point, Support said they wouldn't even look into my problem because they don't deal with temporary punishments, but they'd pass on my feedback through the appropriate forums. "coon" is one of many derogatory slurs that shares it's name with a non-offensive term, so the chat system is set up right now in a way that punishes innocent people.
You should definitely report people who try to trick others into getting kicked or suspended from chats. It's not cool.

It's crazy how dysfunctional the current automated system is, and I sincerely hope the moderator updates fix it, along with the other glaring issues that the moderator system/moderators have caused in the past.

• Like 1

Too be honest the automated ban function should be completely scrapped. Make it an automated report function instead, let the system pick out things that could possibly be inappropriate, but let an actual human look at the sentence to determine if it actually is a bannable offence or not. Hell they could make this a job at DE.

And if they made the report function actually useful, then more people in chat would report people that are actually being disrespectful or inappropriate, therefore increasing the chances of successfully catching real bannable offence.

The fact that you can't include the word trap or coon in a sentence is absurd. There are way more contexts trap or coon can be used other than the derogatory term. There is literally a kinetic siphon trap for simaris in the game, and coon could just be a mistype of coin, or just the short for raccoon. I have rarely ever heard coon used derogatorily.

And to emphasize that again, YOU CAN GET BANNED FOR TYPING KINETIC SIPHON TRAP IN REGION.

Edited by birdobash
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Tsukinoki said:

report them and let DE take care of it (and they do take action on those people when it is brought to their attention)

Not only do they have moderators, they also have a chat filter that catches. Would it really be that hard to set up a filter using the existing database of profanity but reversed? DE don't care. If they did, they'd have taken this very simple step already.

Edited by SordidDreams

I find it very hard to believe that the original poster actually googled this to try to find a meaning and still couldn't figure it out.  When I perform the search, the first definition is not bad, the next seven clearly indicate that it is a racial slur(number 2 listing is the urban dictionary definition linked in the second post), and from that point on it varies between animals and racial slurs.  These where sites like wikipedia and miriam-webster, we're not talking stuff that a safe search setting would filter.  It's incredibly clear and obvious.

So.....yeah.  Not sure if trolling or lying, but sure as heck not really looking up the meaning.

It does bring up the ever valid concern with the auto ban system having trouble with context, though. 

A system that "temp mutes" offending terms, then sends them in for a human to review context would be far better, in my opinion.  If something like that was in place, it could lead to further streamlining with shorter or near immediate personal results.

And these results could be much more severe.  For example, if a person where to actually use the above as a racial slur, it would be completely uncalled for and safe to assume that such a person is not fit to engage in discourse in public places.  That person could be permanently or very long duration chat banned rather than the flimsy one week suspension currently incurred.

As is, a week is far to punitive when the system fails due to being out of context.  Frankly, most kicks or kick+bans(you don't see the ban, but when you see the "naughty list word" and subsequent kick you know what followed) I see the bot deal with are WAY out of context.  Actual, true violations are the rare minority and deserve the severe punishment and personal attention that they should be drawing---in fact, the vast majority of players deserve for those select few to get that kind of attention, because it's the kind of online tool needed to be able to disassociate in a manner that you'd expect to be able to do in person.

All that said, I'd still dole out the week temp ban for this one.  A person just spouting a racial slur without even knowing what it is(and worse, knowing that it might not be appropriate for some reason because some baiting troll was already "daring" someone to do it) may not be hate speech, but our public chats aren't tourets anonymous support groups either, we don't need random, unsolicited stuff like this.  Don't just spout words you don't know the meanings to, for petes sake, that's how grade schoolers lose their recess periods.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Thrymm said:

I'd still dole out the week temp ban for this one.  A person just spouting a racial slur without even knowing what it is(and worse, knowing that it might not be appropriate for some reason because some baiting troll was already "daring" someone to do it) may not be hate speech, but our public chats aren't tourets anonymous support groups either, we don't need random, unsolicited stuff like this.  Don't just spout words you don't know the meanings to, for petes sake, that's how grade schoolers lose their recess periods.

Its a M RATED game with CHAT FILER. Hell if one were honest and brutal you could go into the fact that the vidya industry has been avoiding the law when it comes to stuff like property, theft, liability, gambling, money laundering, etc thus suspensions and bans in general shouldnt happen, but especially in a game which specifiy "this has adult content, if you are too weak to stand the sight/sound/text related to blood, gore, disease, general violence, soft sexual themes, adult language and everything else all other media have under the 18+ label dont play it" AND filter words for you even if you do play despite the warning there is no excuse.

P.S. I think you got the part about private and public places reverse. Freedom of expression guarantees that public places (which also includes vidya and forums) is exactly where a person would be allowed to say anything, its when you are in the home/private non-commercial property of someone else that you should abide by their rules or get kicked out.

• Like 1

Posting racial slurs in the chat will earn you a 7 day suspension from your chatting privileges.

8 hours ago, Andele3025 said:

P.S. I think you got the part about private and public places reverse. Freedom of expression guarantees that public places (which also includes vidya and forums) is exactly where a person would be allowed to say anything, its when you are in the home/private non-commercial property of someone else that you should abide by their rules or get kicked out.

They haven't. These forums and the in-game chat are not 'public' spaces. They are privately owned and managed spaces, where players are allowed to use at DE's discretion. This means if you don't follow the rules of the establishment as set forth by DE, DE (and those DE authorizes to act on their behalf) are allowed to limit or remove your privileges to use the space. Long story short, Freedom of Speech/Expression doesn't mean you can't be punished--you are free to say and express whatever you want, but DE (and those DE authorizes) are free to give you the boot.

• Like 2