Loc-Pins are useless

Velgrimm

When these first came out, I was excited - "Finally", I thought, "A way to mark the Cetus/Fortuna exits so I don't have to open the map, as well as a way to mark fishing spots".  I expected them to function like way points or objective markers - something that appears on the mini-map regardless of distance, so the player could orient themselves and find their goals easier without having to open up the entire map.  I was hugely disappointed when I found out that the markers didn't act like waypoints, and instead acted like normal map markers, in that they disappear off the mini-map once you're far enough away.

As it is now, 1) Loc-pins can only be seen by opening up the map (in which case, why use them at all if I need to open the map), or 2) by the time I'm close enough to my goal for the marker to appear on the mini-map, I can already see it from my arch-wing, making it useless

Please change this!  Make them like waypoint or obejctive markers that can be seen on the mini-map regardless of distance

Edited by Sedk
  • Like 1

Haven't used one yet, in no small part because I'm hesitant to maybe permanently vandalize my map,
so I'd like to know, is there a way to simply remove a Loc-Pin marker?

Wiki isn't super clear on this, only mentioning a 10 marker limit,
does that mean the only way to remove markers is by deploying 10 more afterwards?

2 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

is there a way to simply remove a Loc-Pin marker?

Yes, you can interact with the Loc-Pin marker and change its name/icon or remove it.
Removing it does not give it back to you though, simply destroying it.  They are fairly cheap though.

3 hours ago, Tangent-Valley said:

Can't you see other Player's loc-pin markers?

So in that case, you WANT to spawn into a Public Bounty with every square inch or your screen covered in Waypoints?

There are many ways for DE to handle this.
Easiest would be to go to your map and have an option to "Toggle Loc-Pins" that would show/hide the markers.
A better one would be a separate toggle for each member in your group so you could just see yours or one other group member.

Further there is a 10 pin limit, meaning at most you would see 40, so it wouldn't "cover your screen", especially with how waypoints in this game tend to over-lap meaning you would see one stack with the closest waypoint in a direction until you get close to it....
Nice way to overblow a very minor thing....

Honestly how the Loc-Pins are now they are utterly pointless and just a waste of time, especially for the devs to put into the game...

3 hours ago, Sedk said:

<snip>

I fully agree with you here.
I thought they would be a nice way to mark mining caves or fishing spots, or the fishing caves...and they end up serving literally no purpose what-so-ever.

All DE needs to do is have a toggle option on the map and there wouldn't be a problem at all.

Edited by Tsukinoki
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, birdobash said:

I'm legitimately confused, what are loc-pins? I feel like I'm missing some crucial information.

new item you can research in your tenno lab, lets you add permanent waypoints on your map, rather than the temporary ones you can now create. 

3 minutes ago, RvKsword said:

new item you can research in your tenno lab, lets you add permanent waypoints on your map, rather than the temporary ones you can now create. 

Oh, I'm assuming these are open world exclusive. So apparently they're trash according to you, Right?

Goddammit! I only discovered that these exist an hour ago (seriously, DE, some kind of "new research available in dojo" notification would be nice). I suppose it's better this way, an hour of excitement and anticipation results in less disappointment than three days, but I'm still peeved by this. This might just be the most pointless item in Warframe right up there with stims and the remote observer.

15 minutes ago, SordidDreams said:

Goddammit! I only discovered that these exist an hour ago (seriously, DE, some kind of "new research available in dojo" notification would be nice). I suppose it's better this way, an hour of excitement and anticipation results in less disappointment than three days, but I'm still peeved by this. This might just be the most pointless item in Warframe right up there with stims and the remote observer.

I FORGOT REMOTE OBSERVERS WERE A THING LOL. 

Tbh if remote observers were free looking cameras instead of cameras stuck looking at your frame they'd be kind of cool, still mostly useless, but cool nonetheless since it would feel spy-like.

On 2018-12-26 at 7:31 AM, birdobash said:

I FORGOT REMOTE OBSERVERS WERE A THING LOL. 

Tbh if remote observers were free looking cameras instead of cameras stuck looking at your frame they'd be kind of cool, still mostly useless, but cool nonetheless since it would feel spy-like. 

Yeah, when I first found out about them, I thought they were a little free-flying camera you could control in order to scout ahead without alerting the enemy. Still pointless for the gods of murder and destruction that we eventually become, but I could see myself using those in the early game when trying to learn spy vaults and such. The way they actually do function, though... I can't imagine why anyone ever thought it was a good idea to make such an item.

8 hours ago, SordidDreams said:

I can't imagine why anyone ever thought it was a good idea to make such an item.

Well, they were around before captura existed and were meant for basically the same premise: Set up some cool camera angles that you can't with the normal camera and do something fancy and take screenshots to show other people.
Basically a super poor mans captura.
And even then it was super gimmicky and rarely used.

Now that we have captura though?  They are completely and utterly pointless.

• 2 weeks later...

Having 2-3 switchable layers 10 pins each might be more useful than just one with 10 pins. This way it would be possible to place pins specific for Eidolon hunts on a separate layer without loosing pins for good fishing/mining spots and other stuff.