Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How lv up weapons fast?

danxeto

Question

12 answers to this question

On 2018-12-26 at 4:44 AM, danxeto said:

people suggest using weapons to kill enemies in defense/... missions but new weapons doesn't have mod capacity and can't kill anything?

Yes, you need the highest level Grineer defence you can access.

Take the MR fodder weapon and either one other decent weapon or a frame that can get by without anything (Valkyr, Mesa, etc). Don't start the mission (by going close to the defence objective) until you have a full team. Abort and restart if you don't get anyone joining.

You're relying on your teammates' kills to level the rubbish gear, so don't fight them for kills. Instead defend the objective and try to keep them all in affinity range.

You'll find some frames (Banshee, Saryn, etc) can just kill everything on the map. These are ideal when levelling poor gear. Stick close to them and equip the MR fodder.

With an affinity booster 10-20 waves should be enough. Most folks do 10 waves and repeat, as from the 11th on you get higher level enemies who are slower to die, so restarting is more efficient.

Depends on what kind of gear you have. The only 'universal' way to level up faster would be an Affinity Booster, doesn't matter whether you're using the best strategy or the worst strategy to level up weapons, the Affinity Booster will always give you far more than without. The only "other" 'universal' way to level up faster would to unequip everything (and I mean everything) except for that one weapon you want to level up. Careful if whatever you're trying to level up has bad ammunition economy though; melee weapons or 'rechargeable' weapons won't have this issue as you can never 'run out of damage'.

Otherwise, if you're fairly new, I'd suggest sticking to public defenses. Not only will most if not all of you be 'huddled together' for the affinity share, but you won't be the primary target the enemies will be going for. If you do this solo, you'll have less enemies and less enemies to kill means less affinity.

If you're able to, get someone with access to Akkad to taxi you there, Akkad is probably the 'standard' defense node for this kind of leveling up. Most people either go there or Hydron but it's up to you. I prefer Akkad since you'll be fighting infestation rather than Grineer. Again, totally up to your preference.

Only real 'exceptional' situation to all this would be if you have a permastealth Ivara build with an Affinity Booster and you specifically want to level up a melee weapon. In that case, head to Adaro on Sedna, the Extermination mission and you'd be able to level it up to 30 in one run and you definitely don't need to stealth kill all the time. I've goofed up plenty of 500% stealth bonuses and still was able to level it to 30 by the end of the mission if not above 28. Tip for others, if you wanna keep forma'ing a melee, do this. You can level it to 30 within half an hour.

2 hours ago, danxeto said:

people suggest using weapons to kill enemies in defense/... missions but new weapons doesn't have mod capacity and can't kill anything?

You get a minimum Capacity bonus equal to your Mastery Rank
(which is also doubled when you have a Catalyst / Reactor installed),
so you have at least something to work with if after some MR grinding.

In general though, leeching Affinity sharing in a full-Squad Defense is indeed one of the best ways to rank up stuff
(Helene on Saturn would be my "early" suggestion, same map as Hydron, yay Grineer for best Affinity).

However, equip one decent weapon and / or bring a nuking / damage buff build on your Frame
to still get your share of kills in, because pure leeches are just not okay.

Sanctuary Onslaught/Eite Sanctuary Onslaught with any nuke frame in a cell is the fastest way to level up weapons. And you don't specificaly need to kill anyone with the weapon thanks to afinity share mechanics. From the wiki: 

Warframes and weapons gain Affinity for several types of actions, detailed below. Unless specified otherwise, all Affinity gained uses the split according to the general rule: 25% of the amount goes to your Warframe and 75% of the amount is divided evenly among all equipped weapons (25% each for three, 37.5% each for two, or the full 75% if only one is equipped).

• Kill an enemy with a Warframe ability. All of the Affinity goes to the Warframe.
  • Kill an enemy with a weapon. Half of the Affinity goes to the Warframe and half to the killing weapon.
  • Be near an allied Tenno when they kill an enemy. When within 50 meters of an ally when they kill an enemy, you gain the same total Affinity, distributed according to the general rule specified above. This doesn't reduce the Affinity gained by the killing player, and doesn't reduce the Affinity gained by other nearby allies. This applies to Archwing mode with much larger ranges for shared affinity.
  • No weapons equipped. All of the Affinity goes to the Warframe.
    • This applies when the only equipped weapons are overridden by ability-created ones. (E.g. Using Exalted Blade while only having a melee weapon equipped.)

If the weapon has trouble getting kills, there are a couple of ways to level it. First is to do a Defense with a group. That way, the item in question gets Affinity from the kills other players make, even if you never use it. It’s not as fast as actively using the weapon,but it will get the job done.

the second is Spy missions. Take just that weapon in, and each time you hack the Data Vault,you get a chunk if Affinity. More if you complete the hack without setting off the alarms. Just select a mission with vaults you know really well, and you can breeze through leveling up really poor weapons.

17 hours ago, danxeto said:

"new weapons ... can't kill anything"? You sure? That very much depends on the weapon.

Some kill stuff easily at rank 0 whilst others struggle at rank 30.

MR levelling - hydron, helene, ESO.

To not "leech" take one wepaoin to kill stuff and your levelling weapon / levelling frame.

Have fun and may RNG be forever in your favor.

Since you got a lot of suggestions and tricks already, I will say something you didn't expect to hear that will help you more in the future.

I personnly recommand to rank up casually. Take weapons that need xp, and unlcok nodes, do sorties, do Sanctuary Onslaught or it's elite version, experiment with builds, do whatever you want.
It is not the answer you were looking for at all, but it will help you to burn out of the game much slower or not to burn out at all. Once you get to the "end game" and have everything in the game, you will struggle to find stuff to do. By taking everything slightly slower, you might enjoy grinding more.

Just pointing it out.

On 2018-12-25 at 10:58 PM, mosaickle said:

Only real 'exceptional' situation to all this would be if you have a permastealth Ivara build with an Affinity Booster and you specifically want to level up a melee weapon. In that case, head to Adaro on Sedna, the Extermination mission and you'd be able to level it up to 30 in one run and you definitely don't need to stealth kill all the time. I've goofed up plenty of 500% stealth bonuses and still was able to level it to 30 by the end of the mission if not above 28. Tip for others, if you wanna keep forma'ing a melee, do this. You can level it to 30 within half an hour.

Actually, you can do it faster than half an hour using this method.  Also it works for all weapons and not just melee.  Just slap a silence mod on the weapon and go for stealth kills.  Might have to sleep the enemies first so as to not end the multiplier on the first shot if the weapon sux.  

This is my go to for solo weapon leveling ...

If you have Ivara, the quickest way to level up weapons is to do the exterminate mission on Sedna (Adaro) with her. First make sure the weapon you are leveling is the only weapon equipped. Also unequip any sentinel or companion.

At the start of the mission drop a couple energy restores (or you can use Zenurik for energy, but I like to use Madurai for the damage increase), set your first ability to "sleep arrow", go invisible and proceed to put everyone to sleep and murder them with the weapon in question. You will notice that at the top right of the screen is a stealth counter that increases the affinity you get from each kill by 100%, up to 500% each time you get a stealth kill, which you will as long as you put the enemy to sleep before they spotted you. This is why Ivara is ideal. Just go invisible, put enemies to sleep ... profit!

Keep an eye on your energy level. When it gets down around 50 or so I usually find a safe spot and recharge again.

Without an affinity booster it will probably take 1 1/2 runs. You can abort the second run as soon as you hit level 30 on your weapon.

With an affinity booster it's one run easy. 10 mins.

Also, if you are leveling a melee weapon then using Naramon is a no brainer. In fact I can level a melee weapon using this method and Naramon to 30 before the first run is done. Super quick and easy.

The reason Adaro works well is that there are no nasty electricity traps to worry about, the enemies are a nice and high level and Grineer are stupid.

Alternatively if you are finding that you're having trouble killing enemies on Adaro with an unranked weapon ( you probably won't have any issues with a melee weapon, but a primary or secondary might have some depending on the weapon. And headshot everything. They're standing still after all!), try a lower level planet like Saturn. But stick with Grineer. The Infested are way too chaotic and the Corpus have those damn bubbles.

Edited by Dank-Dispensor

I usually play hydron with chroma. If there's other players, then good; all i have to do is exist in their general vicinity with vex armor.

If i'm alone, or i need to somewhat carry my weight, let's just say a mk1 braton with two dual status mod and nothing else can still hit pretty hard with >700% damage boost.

59 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Actually, you can do it faster than half an hour using this method.  Also it works for all weapons and not just melee.  Just slap a silence mod on the weapon and go for stealth kills.  Might have to sleep the enemies first so as to not end the multiplier on the first shot if the weapon sux.  

It's significantly 'nicer' for melee than primaries/secondaries, I can't be bothered and usually I just run out of ammo but that's just me being too lazy to build ammo restores