Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

3DS Max Tint Material Setup [WIP]

alatnet

Trying to figure out how to use 3DS Max's material system to get the tint masks working.

Got it to the point where I can get some form of masking.

To do this, set 3 RGB Tint maps with the following setup as black and white on the colors:
1. R black, G white, B white
2. R black, G white, B black
3: R black, G black, B white

Afterwards, connect an Output map to the second and third one and have the Invert checkbox selected.

That should get you the 3 tint masks for tints 0 to 2..

For the last tint mask:
Output map with RGB Offset set to 1 and inverted connected to an RGB Tint with all 3 colors set to white.
This one will extract the alpha and make it into a mask.  You can play with the RGB Offset but it must be a positive number.

Now to make this into a usable material, that's something that im having trouble with.

Here's what it should look like:
Tint-Example.png

Edited by alatnet
fixed alpha tint

20 hours ago, alatnet said:

Trying to figure out how to use 3DS Max's material system to get the tint masks working.

Got it to the point where I can get some form of masking.

To do this, set 3 RGB Tint maps with the following setup as black and white on the colors:
1. R black, G white, B white
2. R black, G white, B black
3: R black, G black, B white

Afterwards, connect an Output map to the second and third one and have the Invert checkbox selected.

That should get you the 3 tint masks for tints 0 to 2..

For the last tint mask:
Output map with RGB Offset set to 1 and inverted connected to an RGB Tint with all 3 colors set to white.
This one will extract the alpha and make it into a mask.  You can play with the RGB Offset but it must be a positive number.

Now to make this into a usable material, that's something that im having trouble with.

Here's what it should look like:
Tint-Example.png

You're doing a good job so far 🙂 

I'm not gonna tell you how cause there would be no fun in it but i guarantee you that's possible to do!