Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ew Reticle

ThumpumGood

1 minute ago, Corvid said:

Care to elaborate?

White blurs into the background and becomes indistinct, as well as generating an optical illusion to shift the target depending on blur direction (which is based on light direction and intensity). This is why most scopes (for civilians) are black. While black blends in as well, it is not as harsh as the 'blur' effect of white, and completely eliminates the target shift.

For fast action combat scopes, the reticle tends to be either red or green. Depending on situation and personal preference. A lot of scopes today offer the option to switch between the two colors with a simple button press. Blue is also an option in the civilian market for ease of use for the colorblind.

White is NOT an option, though I suppose one could custom order.

2 hours ago, Ryim_Drykeon said:

White blurs into the background and becomes indistinct, as well as generating an optical illusion to shift the target depending on blur direction (which is based on light direction and intensity). This is why most scopes (for civilians) are black. While black blends in as well, it is not as harsh as the 'blur' effect of white, and completely eliminates the target shift.

For fast action combat scopes, the reticle tends to be either red or green. Depending on situation and personal preference. A lot of scopes today offer the option to switch between the two colors with a simple button press. Blue is also an option in the civilian market for ease of use for the colorblind.

White is NOT an option, though I suppose one could custom order.

Thanks for the info.

I wonder, is this still applicable to video games? Many of the games I've played have had white reticles, and this is the first I've heard of any issues inherent to the colour.

17 minutes ago, Corvid said:

Thanks for the info.

I wonder, is this still applicable to video games? Many of the games I've played have had white reticles, and this is the first I've heard of any issues inherent to the colour.

Usually target shift is not applicable. This would have to either be programed in, or to have light actually have real world physics (which I do not believe is possible at current tech levels).

Blur does occur in most games, however, low detail games are less effected by this. The higher the game detail, the more chance of blur. A lot of higher detail games have compensated by allowing players to chose reticle color, and/or a choice of a negative reticle. That is; the reticle changes from black to white dependent upon background color. The blur effect is extremely noticeable in the Simulacrum, or MR tests. Most experienced players experience it, but have simply adapted to the point they no longer even recognize that a problem exists.

The human mind is very adaptive, especially in use with our binocular vision. Like holding a hand over your one eye, and looking at something with both eyes open. If you focus on something a few feet in front of you, your hand 'disappears'. You still see it, but your mind removes it from your view. Same with the reticle. Your eyes can't pick it out from certain background colors, but your mind knows it's there, and what it looks like, so give you the mirage of it still being there. Also, with the fast pace of combat in Warframe, you have milliseconds of color shading, so the effect is lessened even more.

It's not so much a problem, as it would be a courtesy to have the options. The programing is already there since the reticle already shifts to red when over a viable target. Which, I believe, was the subject of the OP's post.