Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Possible Glaxion Change/New Cold Weapon

Wes8670

So I had an idea the other day, I own a Glaxion and have actually remade the weapon multiple times whenever changes/buffs have occurred trying to fix it. Even in the state it's in now it's hard to kill enemies outside of a straight line and like most status weapons it tends to suffer from lower damage (especially since it has near Soma levels of damage spread) forcing it to use as much if not more ammo than just about anything else ever. Which brings me to an idea I had...what if it functioned essentially like a Corpus cold variant of the Ignis! Change it from a beam to an aoe cone and change up the lore a little bit (Corpus realized Grineer Pyro-heavy arsenal wasn't very fun to deal with so they created a glorified fire extinguisher/weapon.) Of course possibly increase damage a little or even JUST add more crit chance or something. I think it'd be an interesting new take and if you can hit more enemies with the aoe cone you obviously end up wasting a fair bit less ammo when even enemies on the fringes die off.

Just curious/hopeful that DE might maybe consider this, and give the Corpus an Ignis equivalent worthy of stymieing Grineer detonite fueled chaos.

(Also as an afterthought here, since it'd effectively be an extinguisher it could also be used to put out the fire hazards on any contested or sabotaged map.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, peterc3 said:

This is like saying the Soma should be made into a shotgun.

There's nothing but downsides to taking an existing weapon and making it into something else, when you could make a new weapon and avoid most of those downsides.

Oh boy...*insert a little maximum effort here*

I don't exactly see how it'd be taking an automatic rifle and turning it into a shotgun, unless you're talking about it being made into a corrosive weapon to strip armor in which case there are easily better options to begin with (plus that's not talking mechanics). It'd be taking a continuous beam weapon and giving it an aoe instead of the arguably straight line laser beam it is. It could also use a few stat adjustments but it's nothing mandatory since beam weapons were tweaked recently.

Aside from THAT, I am a little surprised you didn't touch on the fact that I also said New Cold Weapon in the title. I know as well as you do that DE are stubborn when it comes to just changing weapons, look at the convectrix and what little they've done to it, OR the Cernos Prime- minor changes at best as opposed to sweeping weapon function changes (which I was fully aware of while typing that).

But you did however get me thinking they DO however like to modify weapons much like the Quanta so what would stop them from implementing a Glaxion-esc piece with bowed out bars in front and possible mention of a convex (convectrix shudders) crystal focus which most beam weapons tend to want to use? If I were to go into it though I would argue for a slight damage increase on the Glaxion since it is FOCUSED as opposed to what I would ask for thus spreading the damage around and losing bulk damage. Otherwise hybridizing it as well with a slight bump to crit if possible with lowered damage. I would also like to acknowledge the fact that yes this would make a Glaxion-II weapon rather powerful, the ignis has been a monster no doubt and this would be creating a cold based ignis fire extinguisher. This IS the weapons forum so I DID want to make a suggestion of a corpus tool that could also be a weapon much like the Serro (They have a long standing tradition of modifying tools for these purposes obviously.)

In the end though if you really wanted to you could even make it a Tenno focused beam weapon in the same vein since the Corpus do have the Amprex which is an electricity based continuous beam weapon. Model would have to be changed to fit the Tenno theme but the same general flavor text could remain the same: "Tenno being sick of the Grineer Empire's liberal employ of detonite/fire based weapons came up with this genuine never before seen piece of technology! The fire extinguisher. Puts out sparking moa flames from even your favorite moa pals, as well as extinguishes sabotage/conflict fires." (much like Ice Spring or a few of Frosts abilities.)

(Bonus edit time: If it were made as a new weapon it would also avoid being used by the npc's that use them, namely the murderous capture target.)

I hope this helps explain a little bit better and cover...a bit of your post. 🤠👌

Edited by Wes8670
Bonus edit

12 minutes ago, Wes8670 said:

Aside from THAT, I am a little surprised you didn't touch on the fact that I also said New Cold Weapon in the title. I know as well as you do that DE are stubborn when it comes to just changing weapons, look at the convectrix and what little they've done to it, OR the Cernos Prime- minor changes at best as opposed to sweeping weapon function changes (which I was fully aware of while typing that).

Then why mention the Glaxion, when you are suggesting a gun that is entirely different from it, save it being Cold.

Using it as a comparison or base (with stats) as a starting point. This idea was originally "what if you had a Glaxion...but aoe" so I felt like building it up from there was a good idea. As it sits it would basically be like taking a Glaxion and modifying it which would mean less dev time for DE overall, take ignis firing and apply it to the Glaxion- giving an option whilst still acknowledging the fact that DE doesn't like to outright change a weapon's function. (covering my bases in the fact that I know how DE likes to operate but it wouldn't hurt if scenario)

11 minutes ago, (PS4)Lei-Lei_23 said:

Glaxion is a beam weapon.

Ignis is a beam weapon.

How the comparison between an AR and a Shotgun with pellet spread came into this technical argument is beyond me.

I don't know, I mentioned the Soma because it has low base damage but is backed up by it's crit stats in the original post and somehow peter ended up thinking it converted a rifle to a shotgun analogy wise or...something. Either way I hope at least with the 2nd post I've made it clearer.

Just now, Wes8670 said:

I don't know, I mentioned the Soma because it has low base damage but is backed up by it's crit stats in the original post and somehow peter ended up thinking it converted a rifle to a shotgun analogy wise or...something. Either way I hope at least with the 2nd post I've made it clearer.

Mechanically beam weapons are ARs with the perk that focus fire on the enemy receive a damage ramp-up from its minimum damage up to the max output, with the downfall that multishot damage do not proc Status. However, just like ARs their Status Chance proc rate is still tied to how high the weapon’s fire rate (not like the old Status/sec formula, but pretty much the same as automatic firearms with a high fire rate proc’ing status based on how many bullets land on an enemy). So the use of the Soma as an analogy is sound, I wouldn’t consider it an odd comparison.