Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Spoiler] So lets talk about the solaris people...

Zylofan

2 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

His ARMS matched? or his TATTOOS matched? Pretty crucial difference there. Especially since I'm looking at a picture of Thursby right now and he is WAY scrawnier and thinner than the other riggers in Fortuna

Thurby's base model is a scaled up Vent Kid model. This is why things are so confusing. And why he looks thin.

He has the same arms & the legs of the Vent Kid sleeping on his board behind Boon, while his Torso is that of the Ventkids sitting on the table to the right & rear left of Boon (if You are looking at Boon). And we know that the Vent Kids are in full RIGs too.

Obviously...DE probably overlooked how heavily augmented the Vent Kids look. And probably assumed that by saying he has his body players would just accept it.

The big ticker (pun unintended) for all this is the fact that his head is already in his chest. (I had a big issues with this quest after learning about their heads & bodies. As a lot of the established rules seem to clash if not outright reject the notion that Thursby was 100% unaugmented. He'll he even says in your first meeting that he has NO augmentation & is 100% organic. But look at his (unhidden) head!)

You think he had his physical torso hollowed out so whatever the head containment device they use could be installed? How would he control his arms & legs?

I admit...we don't know how the Corpus worked up the fleshy bodies with natural limbs. From what the lore has revealed The "RIG" Solaris use is the body that contains their heads. These bodies are machines that allow them to complete whatever task Nef Anyo assigns them.

Which makes sense as you simply can't just make a giant hole in a physical body and stick a head sized interface in it & have the other 95% of the body be flesh & blood.

If you look at Thursby he has no organic head, neck, chest (no lungs & heart) as he has a head sized vent.

I'm not thoerycrafting when I say that I believe that when the Corpus took his body they removed him from his RIG, and sold off his shelved body. That DE's dialogue was very bad in his case.

They should have used a real Corpus for Thursby so this situation wouldn't be brought up impo.

The reason they don't fully rig highly likely because it would add more to their debt so they choose only use rig for part necessary for their work. After observed some npc in fortuna, most of them seem to fit into 4 types. All of them (except vent kid) have robotic body and head so we can persume this is important or mandatory for grow up.

First group of solaris is heavy worker. They have what seem to use the same head as Thurby which mention he didn't have rig for work so it probably cheap/standard head rig. Heavy worker have bulky augment on both arms, understandable since they do alot of heavy work.

Second group is those that usually saw work with tool like wrench or welding machine. They have different head than heavy work, one aug arm and leg. They seem to do the same work as heavy worker too but they also seem to work with more advance tool in hard to access place.

Third, this type i'm not sure what they do, they may look similar with heavy worker at first. They don't have augment arm or legs but they head actually seem more advance than heavy worker on close inspect. Most of them just standing around but we see some work on console. (edited: actually they seem to have one aug leg)

Forth seem to be have no augment arm or legs but have what seem to be advance head rig. Their work seem mostly to supervise other work so that might be head for enhanced optic.

Thurby mention he didn't have any augment for work seem understandable. While he have basic body rig, he only have standard head and no other augment.

Edited by somesung

The way I see it, the Solaris refer to their bodies as a whole as a rig.  Since the heads are detachable, technically you could simply swap heads with someone, or in Little Ducks case, rent one.  This means repo'd rigs can become a source of income through renting.  Individual parts, bio or mechanical can be used as replacement parts for damaged rigs or replacement biologicals for patients.

In the case of the Vent Kids, the detachment has been made, but the chest is too small to safely contain their heads, and even if a head rig case was made for them, it would need to be periodically be replaced as they grew to adulthood, where as the current neck attachments they have look relatively cheap to upgrade or replace.  

Thursday is a basic rig model when we first meet him.  Just the chest rig and head.  As we see the vent kids out in the Vallis, it seems that the chest rigs are 100% necessary, but still desirable as they provide a great deal of protection and convenience.  

My belief is that the Solaris detach their sense of self from their bodies.  The Corpus most likely see the Solaris as less than Human, so it's ok to take advantage of them.  The Solaris themselves likely only see themselves as just the head, since the body can be altered so drastically.   Biz isn't from Fortuna.  But he is Solaris since he has the head rig that all adult Solaris have.  

Just some of my thoughts on the subject.

14 hours ago, (PS4)Zero_029 said:

The big ticker (pun unintended) for all this is the fact that his head is already in his chest. (I had a big issues with this quest after learning about their heads & bodies. As a lot of the established rules seem to clash if not outright reject the notion that Thursby was 100% unaugmented. He'll he even says in your first meeting that he has NO augmentation & is 100% organic. But look at his (unhidden) head!)

Well no, of course he's not 100% augmented. I never said he was. He has an augmented head. What I was saying is that he obviously has an augmented head, but that was his only augment

14 hours ago, (PS4)Zero_029 said:

You think he had his physical torso hollowed out so whatever the head containment device they use could be installed? How would he control his arms & legs?

This seems to be where our thoughts diverge. I don't think the fortunas need to have their torsos hollowed out at all. I think it's just a box strapped to their belly. Yes, I think there IS room in front of their belly for the box to fit there without tearing their guts out. Remember, these people have to buy a very specific diet from their Corpus overlords; they have exactly enough calories to keep their muscles strong, but otherwise they are starving and have zero fat on their bodies. People like Ticker might look fat at first glance, but then I stop and think and realize "that's just his clothes. The box with his head in it is part of his clothes, that's why he's so bulky"

So with that in mind, yes, I absolutely think that Thursby was in his original body, not a leased bio-rig. Sure he carried his head in a box, but he got to carry it with his original body

• 2 years later...
13 hours ago, (XBOX)BigLithuanian said:

After learning that the Solaris reveal the heads in their chests when you get to Old Mate, I no longer wish to get to that rank. I’d rather not see that every time I go into Fortuna

You can turn it off using creator mode I think.

• 1 year later...

Everyone is talking about arms and heads in chests.... How do they reproduce? How do they eat? they have no stomach.. I'm sure they do not need to eat anywhere as much as before seeing as how a robot is doing the work and not flesh and bone.. but still the brain needs food. With work as dangerous and deadly as it is the work force surly must need fresh bodies and people. How does the vent kids grow up and their rigs would need to be upgraded or are they now stuck forever a "kid".. a lot of the people look heavily modified so are they all vat grown?  you cant carry a baby when you head is sitting where the baby would.. SO MANY QUESTIONS...  My guess is the Solaris people are from another planet or have a whole city somewhere else where they can do human things and train and get ready for work in places like where we see them.  Maybe we are only seeing a fraction of their race.. every time I look at them I just ask.. HOW AND WHY?  I understand the augments but as a whole making them like that would be a dwindling workforce for ever shrinking and never growing.. unless that's the whole point. make the population go extinct then bring in robots and automation.. 

Damn, so it's not just me huh? I kind of got creeped out a bit by the cyborg people there too lmao. Bro you have a block or something as a head, have a nice day thanks.

Edit: Oh damn just notice it's an old thread, sorry for necro'ing

Edited by KernelWizard

This is of course a very old thread that got necro'd twice, but the most recent set of questions is not that old so I'll attempt to answer them.

15 hours ago, FreedSniperz said:

Everyone is talking about arms and heads in chests.... How do they reproduce?

The Solaris do appear to reproduce, based on this line overheard in Fortuna: "We can't afford to pass on able hands. Not at the rate we breed." To me, this implies that they use the traditional manner of reproduction, though it may also be some sort of mechanical process such as artificial insemination. We don't really get further information on how it happens, but the existence of orphaned Ventkids indicates it does indeed occur.

16 hours ago, FreedSniperz said:

How do they eat? they have no stomach.. I'm sure they do not need to eat anywhere as much as before seeing as how a robot is doing the work and not flesh and bone.. but still the brain needs food.

Multiple Solaris (Ticker, Legs, Legs' debt-bond fragments, Solaris Male 1) mention "nutrient canisters". These are proprietary units, like a Keurig K-cup, that get slotted into the rigs for ingestion of nutrients. They can also be used as an additional form of control over the Solaris, influencing what and how they eat: "…they upgraded the canisters and me gastro-compatibility upgrade ain't due til next week." The descriptions of the Solaris Food Box and Solaris Food Can (Orbiter decorations purchasable from Ticker) indicate that as Solaris citizens become adults and get full rigs, they lose the ability to eat normally.

With work as dangerous and deadly as it is the work force surly must need fresh bodies and people.

The Solaris have augmentations to help them survive and work, but it is indeed dangerous. This dialogue line (part of which I already quoted above) indicates the labour situation: "You know him? He's an overly polite man with a gun tattooed on his neck. Someone that cluey may be able to integrate. We can't afford to pass on able hands. Not at the rate we breed." It's hard to get new workers in Fortuna. No one is likely to immigrate there, so they have to rely on a low birthrate. According to Smokefinger, the Solaris have longer lifespans than other humans due to their cybernetic nature, which likely alleviates the labour situation a little.

How does the vent kids grow up and their rigs would need to be upgraded or are they now stuck forever a "kid"

For most Solaris children, it seems that the parents pay for their child's rig: "Our youngest – we're not gettin' him modded. No rig, see? Gonna use the money to get him educated…" The Ventkids, by definition, have no parents, so they're not likely to ever get real rigs or have any chance of working with the other Solaris. Which I'm sure is how they like it. However, at the conclusion of the Waverider quest, Grandmother Entrati is a benefactor of the Ventkids (and their gracious landlord), so she may buy them all adult rigs if they really wanted them.

My guess is the Solaris people are from another planet or have a whole city somewhere else where they can do human things and train and get ready for work in places like where we see them.  Maybe we are only seeing a fraction of their race.. every time I look at them I just ask.. HOW AND WHY?  I understand the augments but as a whole making them like that would be a dwindling workforce for ever shrinking and never growing.. unless that's the whole point. make the population go extinct then bring in robots and automation

The Solaris aren't just on Fortuna, but seem to assist the Corpus in many if not all of their endeavours. They can be found on board the Corpus Ship tileset (albeit as prisoners), and the information in Ticker's debt dossiers indicate that they also serve in the Corpus military, in theatres from Mercury to Neptune. Little Duck mentions that she's from Phobos. So the ones you see in Fortuna are just a segment of the larger Solaris population.