Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Forced Fishing... Why?

Fuhklebark

I'm sure others have complained about this before, but I don't come around here very often. This just grinds my gears. 

What was the thinking behind the decision to make many of the new Fortuna-expansion weapons require parts from fish? I want to be able to make them, I HAVE to fish. It's not my decision, it's a side activity being forced on me. If there was any chance of me liking it before, this decision snuffed it right out.

I get it DE. I do. You made new cool stuff and we should do it. But I'm a caveman, I come here to blow stuff up and shoot things. Don't force me to fish.

Edited by Fuhklebark
Spelling
  • Like 4

And in order to get a Warframe, you have to farm its parts.
It's not a decision. You are forced to do it.
What's this argument about? If you want something, you have to do something.
And if you don't want to do it, you can always trade for the fish. You just need a bit of plat for that.

Edited by WhiteMarker
  • Like 2

You know what it's about, it just doesn't bother you. And that's fine. If it bothered more people, there would have been a big enough outcry that the trend would have stopped at PoE. (Too bad for me it didn't, eh?)

I am, for the most part, just venting an annoyance where a community manager may read it and mentally file it away under "player input". You never know, it might get heard in a break room somewhere. But there's no need to try and trivialize it because you don't agree, just shake your head and pass on by.

Edited by Fuhklebark
Hey! Phrasing!

You only fish if you lack something you need in vast quantities, like the parts from rare fish, same for mining.

When you play (bounties, exploring) the more you loot, the more you get (duh), i don't mean just killing enemies, but destroying crates aswell as those provide mining rewards, cave exploration rewards and fishing rewards.

For example, at the start of orb valis, to the right there are always 2 or 3 containers, these can be destroyed even by the most basic player (requires 0 skill and doesn't need upgraded equips) and can provide alot of loot in just a few seconds (2 or 3 seconds can be the equivalent of 240 seconds of mining, fishing and cave exploration), now imagine the boxes you find on a single bounty.

You fish because you want to, but if you switch your intentions into actual loot while playing, fishing can be cut down to 0 in some cases.

Obviously this begins on your own decision and will to loot, if you speed run bounties with no kills and no crates destroyed then your lack of effort is punished with grind, that means you need to search caves, you need to fish and you need to mine on top of the bounties.

You're welcome.

• Like 3

I laughed a bit when they followed 'forced' with 'I want'. You aren't forced to fish. You don't have to have those weapons. No gun is being held to your head. If you 'choose' to go after those weapons, you've 'chosen' to farm the materials or spend the platinum.

And if you're complaining about Fortuna fishing, you should have been there for PoE fishing requirements, lol. So many 'why do archwing pads require 50 fish oil?' posts. Fortuna doesn't require you to craft the arcanes, either. PoE arcanes cost anywhere from 2-5 fish parts per craft, and you need 10 of them for a single rank 3. The AMP parts require them, as well. Both Cetus and Fortuna parts. Zaw parts. Kitgun parts... Even the moa pieces do. Pretty much every PoE and Fortuna specific craft requires them. But it isn't like those items are even necessary to move the map forward, so no force there, either. There's a big difference between Cetus and Fortuna, though. Cetus requires you to fish for fish parts. No containers for them out on the plains.

I also agree with KIREEK above. I've gotten lots of fish and mining parts just from breaking open containers.

Lots of it will be the sludge material, but about 1 in 3 is usually a container that has mining, fishing, and mushroom materials in it. Unfortunately, they usually only have 2-5 of a single type of material from that source. You'll get 2-5 fish parts (usually muon batteries. I get lots of those), 2-6 of a single type of mined material (I have yet to see any thyst fall, but I have gotten a zodian or two out of them), and 2 of one of the two types of mushroom material. This doesn't take into account a resource booster, or if two crates are on top of each other and both give the materials. I've had that happen several times as well.

While fishing for the parts would be both faster and far more specific, it isn't 100% necessary. But I would much rather spend 10-20 minutes fishing a specific type, than playing 'roll the dice' with hundreds of material crates.

Edited by Riger82

3 hours ago, Fuhklebark said:

You know what it's about, it just doesn't bother you. And that's fine. If it bothered more people, there would have been a big enough outcry that the trend would have stopped at PoE. (Too bad for me it didn't, eh?)

I am, for the most part, just venting an annoyance where a community manager may read it and mentally file it away under "player input". You never know, it might get heard in a break room somewhere. But there's no need to try and trivialize it because you don't agree, just shake your head and pass on by.

I think his point is that you shouldn't be complaining since there are options to aquire fish parts without ever have to touch a fishing spear.

Fortuna containers drop low-mid tier fish parts.
Business sells fish parts for platinum.
Players can trade any tier fish to each other to gather fish parts.

So yeah nice vent I guess.
A feedback thread about why you don't like fishing and how it could be improved would be a better thread though.

You all bring up fair points. In a lot of cases, yes I haven't had to fish for many of the parts, and I have gotten them from containers as you've said. If that were the case here I'd have grumbled and sucked it up because the option was there. In the case of the newer weapons however, I needed the rare parts that don't drop from containers (Entroplasma, Lathe coagulant, etc.). It's all sorted now, I made some fisherman's day by buying what I needed off him for plat, but it still seems to me like an unnecessary requirement.

Which brings me back to my original question, which is simply "Why?" I've played MMOs for years, and in all others fishing is an optional activity, with the understanding that it's not for everyone but some people do enjoy it. If the parts were a drop from a rare mob or a boss (Toroids, for example) I'd have no problem with it. I just can't comprehend why in this case it's a requirement to access parts of the game that are totally unrelated. Why not make the requirements something obtainable from the main gameplay, and keep side activities as side activities?

As for what could be improved about it, I'm afraid that in all honesty I don't have any constructive input to give. My reasoning behind not liking it is simply that I find it a dry and boring activity, and derive no enjoyment from doing it. Quite the opposite, I find it mind-numbingly tedious. And (as I believe we all do) I come to games to escape from some of the mind-numbingly tedious parts of life and to enjoy being a space ninja with a laser gun for a little while.

PS - And yeah, I'm glad I only caught the tail end of PoE and finite arcwings that need fish oil. I actually avoided PoE altogether until they removed the charges.

Edited by Fuhklebark
Added Afterword

Alright, well reading between the lines here I guess I got my answer. "You should have posted this in feedback, but even then don't hold your breath.". Bummer, but if that's how it is, that's how it is. Maybe I've been spoiled a bit by smaller games.

Appreciate you folks putting a new guy in the know, and a double thanks to those who were able to communicate in a polite and respectful manner. Sorry you seem to be outnumbered. 😕

2 hours ago, Fuhklebark said:

Alright, well reading between the lines here I guess I got my answer. "You should have posted this in feedback, but even then don't hold your breath.". Bummer, but if that's how it is, that's how it is. Maybe I've been spoiled a bit by smaller games.

Appreciate you folks putting a new guy in the know, and a double thanks to those who were able to communicate in a polite and respectful manner. Sorry you seem to be outnumbered. 😕

Off Topic is a no man's land. 

I'm aware this will come off harshly and I'll be further considered one of the unhelpful but, putting things like this in the proper place will increase the type of responses you want.  No one is going to be constructive here because it's not meant to be a constructive space.  This is where a lot of people blow off steam and just be utter goofballs. 

Plus, internet, so...

• 4 weeks later...

I think OP makes perfect sense. It's not about being lazy. Warframe is a shooting/slashing game, that's what people come to it for. Now there are more and more weapons and warframes that require resources obtained from fishing or mining – activities which have nothing to do with the main gameplay. I also wish there'd be a feasible alternative to it. Spending platinum on basic resources doesn't look like that alternative.

At the same time these side-activities should be rewarding, and if the same resources would be obtainable by simply running missions with, say, a looting Carrier, it wouldn't be fair to people investing into these activities.

Conservation does it better, since it's not a requirement for anything related for the main gameplay, but who doesn't want those floofs?

1 hour ago, Andikki said:

I think OP makes perfect sense. It's not about being lazy. Warframe is a shooting/slashing game, that's what people come to it for. Now there are more and more weapons and warframes that require resources obtained from fishing or mining – activities which have nothing to do with the main gameplay. I also wish there'd be a feasible alternative to it. Spending platinum on basic resources doesn't look like that alternative.

At the same time these side-activities should be rewarding, and if the same resources would be obtainable by simply running missions with, say, a looting Carrier, it wouldn't be fair to people investing into these activities.

Conservation does it better, since it's not a requirement for anything related for the main gameplay, but who doesn't want those floofs?

So shoot, hack, and slash away. And when you reap the rewards you will find that either you have gotten some of what you want, or you have something that you can use to get it. 

Where's the problem?