Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Am I the only one suffering from "Why Use Anything Else"?

Tyreaus

Maybe it's just player burnout, but...

Not that long ago I built a Plague Kripath zaw and a Tombfinger kitgun. Threw a few forma into them. Splendid weapons. Barely switched off from them even through sorties.

Also got a Sicarus riven—something I've always wanted since I adore the 3-shot burst and almost-equal damage of that bad boy (don't ask—I wanted it with my Glaive Prime). First response?

"Why would I use it? I have a Tombfinger."

I still tend to swap around primaries, but the modular weapons feel like they outclass everything else to the point that I only use the Gram Prime because I have a lens attached to it for ESO. Makes me wonder if it might have been better were zaws and kitguns build-your-own-weapon-skins instead...

Am I alone in this? 😧

• Like 3

I don't use them for precisely this reason. I don't want to get stuck in it.

At least the Kitguns aren't quite as domineering as the Zaws as there's no Akimbo variants and there's a lot more variables in a gun than in a melee.

However, Steve's cooking up Damage 3.0 in his head so who knows how long this will last.

• Like 2

I say, for fun, anything below level 50 can be dispatched with ease. I sometimes go for themes, like zephyr prime with kunais, because it looks like she's just tossing those arm feathers.

And because I have a silly riven for it. If it weren't for stockpiled blight, I'd spend more time reloading than throwing kunais!

What I'm saying is that yes, you can need that extra damage, but not always!

• Like 1

I built three KitGuns but i always switch to the Staticor. Staticor helps with Survival runs more than the KitGuns imo because there’s a point in the mission where i switch to them and keep going. Plague Zaws are nice but with the Weapons like Redeemer Prime, Gram Prime, and Atterax with Maiming Strike, it’s easy to forgot they exist and just leave them alone. Melee 3.0 might change my mind on the Plague Zaws.

No not really, the tombfinger is kinda fun and all, as is the catchmoon but they aren't even close to my take list most of the time. I guess it depends if you don't mind relying on other players in a team performing specific tasks.

If I don't have enough healing available on the Warframe or companions I'm taking then I'm going to take a purity furis, that is my goto why I have a damage primary (Like the Tigris Prime)

If my primary isn't doing damage (Like, if I need to take an Ignis wraith to bust containers for syndicate missions or Argon hunting) Then I'll take the Pyrana Prime.

Additional concerns are "do I have something capable of either taking the nullifier drone or rapid fire enough to take out the bubble quickly".

But no, I'm barely using the kitguns other than than to make sure I had one of each type for mastery. (Also I find them... problematically ugly)

That said, if we got Kitgun arcanes for some form of healing an/or energy gain, I'd consider it, as another tool in the box.

• Like 2

Quite a bit of it is tied into mentalities. One thing I do that I think might help me steer clear of this is turning off affinity and damage numbers. In general I dislike having numbers flying around and on the other end: Does it mater if the enemy I one-shot took 10k damage or 10m damage? I oneshot them. Even if I end up having to two-shot, still, unless I'm using some weapon where that is an unacceptable detriment, having to use one or two more bullets to kill is hardly an issue.

That coupled with my *gasp* actual desire to fight enemies *gasp* means that I actually prefer weapons that make demands of me. 

Secondly, a lot of my own personal weapon choices are up to flavor and style. This is why i don't use Zaw's and Kitguns. I don't like them visually. Some zaws are tolerable, but honestly my Prime Dual Kamas are WORLDS ahead of any Zaw by sheer sexy style, stats be damned. Kitguns are much worse for me in that respect. I just hate how they look and then layer on top my general dislike for directed energy weapons (except for a few conceptual examples) and you get a solid "No." from me. 

I bypassed this problem simply by making a kitgun that I knew I'd enjoy using (A Rattleguts with a slow fire rate and a fast reload, if you're wondering). It's become a rather nice go-to, but I'm always willing to switch things up.

Never could get into Zaws though. Can't stand their aesthetics, which rather kills my interest in them.

• Like 1

I have frame set ups with weapons that either best suit the aesthetic of the frame, or synergize some way with the frame. I also have an OCD problem, I can't use just one meta for all my frames that's just dumb to me. However my favorite main frame does use my favorite weapons. And the aesthetic fits. Different strokes for different folks I guess 🤷

Edited by (XB1)RDeschain82
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DarkRuler2500 said:

If there are modular primaries in another update in the future,

I believe DE mentioned the idea of primary Kitguns becoing available. after all, they will be wanting to add even more content to Fortuna for those of you on PC already at the point where you're trouncing Orb Heists because there's nothing else to do. modular weapons remain balanced through lack of skins, and the hefty grind it can take to get the right setup; you have to get the standing, to buy the blueprints, to craft each part, to assemble the weapon, and then level the weapon to gild it before levelling it again to count towards mastery and reach full capacity. other weapons are more accessible and in many cases just as effective for most content.

I think you're trying to imply you're being somehow forced to use the same two weapons just because they're a little more powerful than the other powerful weapons you have...

MR26 here, so I have *everything*. I use a whole lot of different weapons because it turns out they're all super capable. Mix it up a little! Break out that Pox that you've never really used, chuck some forma (well, two, IIRC) on it, throw some deadly bags of status carnage at things 🙂

5 hours ago, Tyreaus said:

Makes me wonder if it might have been better were zaws and kitguns build-your-own-weapon-skins instead...

I do like this suggestion though.

Edited by pook-pook

2 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

I believe DE mentioned the idea of primary Kitguns becoing available. after all, they will be wanting to add even more content to Fortuna for those of you on PC already at the point where you're trouncing Orb Heists because there's nothing else to do. modular weapons remain balanced through lack of skins, and the hefty grind it can take to get the right setup; you have to get the standing, to buy the blueprints, to craft each part, to assemble the weapon, and then level the weapon to gild it before levelling it again to count towards mastery and reach full capacity. other weapons are more accessible and in many cases just as effective for most content.

getting kitguns are by no means grindy, just time gated at best with daily caps. plenty of prime weaponry have similar, if not more difficult grind. 

8 hours ago, Tyreaus said:

Am I alone in this? 😧

Nope. In real life people are particular to different models of weapons. They swear by brands; aesthetics; feel ... whatever floats their boat.

So why can't we kit out a base model weapon from a design we prefer?

Makes designing the weapons much more easier, with the kit parts that only need to be tweaked as needed.

It's also a good "carrot" to use to progress in the game for.

DE is doing that with the arcanes, might as well do it for the weapons -- so that weapon you like so much, can actually play at "end-game" ... and not need to reformat all the mods to be so conditional (the whole Riven per weapon model mess).

8 hours ago, DarkRuler2500 said:

My thoughts as well.
If there are modular primaries in another update in the future, i really would consider all others MR-fodder.

Modular Primaries? 

Wait until they make modular warframes...

edit: but in all seriousness though, a lot of the reason to use other weapons is their feel. One day you may want a gun with a little more grunt; another day you may want a spartan laser. It happens. Warframe has flavors. Enjoy them. 

Edited by Ekemeister