Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Am I the only one suffering from "Why Use Anything Else"?

Tyreaus

last 2 weeks I'm like "Sortie time. First mission a capture, Saryn will work. Mobile defense. Meh Saryn. Assassination. Meh Saryn".

The only moment where I really switch something is:

a) when Sortie wants me to, but even then I usually still only use abilities (as I find them more fun than playing sci-fi skinned CoD), maybe sometimes when I feel to play some eidolons

b) when there's insane cheese to speed up the process. Usually on Sortie (Sedna boss vs oberon, gg)

There's no reason for me to try new weapons if I already have the newest powercreeped additions that DE didn't even bothered to act as if they try to balance them

There's no reason for me to try new/unused frames when this game has 0 difficulty, unless I'm willing to sit on my ass doing the same boring endless content for 1hour+, but then mobs start to oneshot you, because mob difficulty curve was made by a guy that hates playing long, endless missions.

And even when I feel like trying to experiment and check something... Oh wait, I'd need to potato and forma it minimum 3 times, oh and i'd need a riven. And lots of kuva... And affinity booster. And 1-2 hours to max it... And... Nah, Lets stick with Saryn amprex and tombfinger. Why bother.

Edited by deothor

For this exact reason I built the Kitguns without any extra stat modifier so that they will not go OP. 

For Zaws I made them the less common type (Scythes, Machete, etc). So far for modular weapons I've only put catalyst on a zaw machete coz we ain't got any good machete in base game.

Edited by Marvelous_A

I think it’s safe to say that everyone has or will get to that point. For me it was getting the Tigris prime along with chromatic blade for Excalibur. Sometimes it’s not always about how well something performs. In that case it’s about how much fun you have with it. The game naturally encourages you to experiment with different weapons, different frames, and different builds. So a better question to ask is “Why not?” 

9 minutes ago, (XB1)SilverSurferGuy said:

So a better question to ask is “Why not?” 

Just to respond to this and the sentiment a few others have noted:

My personal main reason "why not" is because, while other weapons might get a hint of variety, they're often lacking in other areas—and I'm not talking pure stats. Kunai can be great weapons and can be just as effective for the majority of the game, but the Tombfinger (modded out) has a comfortable rate of fire, a healthy kick, a good sound, and visual effects ranging from the bullet itself to the common Corpus Space Program the shots can create. Everything else I've looked into either tends to be lacking on some front or another (perhaps ironically, it's why I switch between primaries more often and enjoy it: they almost all have something pretty substantial, feel-wise, the others tend to lack, be it Gram's slow swing speed or Tigris' frequent reloads), and the mere idea of variety just doesn't seem like enough to make up for it. Not to mention the time to get the other weapon—not that I abhor the grind or that it's always bad, just that the kitgun is immediate; I have it.

And, of course: the kitgun works really well in higher levels where things like kunai tend to suffer. It's not a "feel" aspect, but it's still kind of a factor.

I use my kitguns not because they are strong but because they can use Pax Charge. My only other secondary is a Cycron. If I had more Catalysts and time I probably would have used forma on the Plinx but I don't like semi autos that much, so I doubt I will.

It doesn't matter that the Euphona P or Akstilleto P is technically still top tier. They do not have self recharging ammo that reloads even during CC. I just don't like limited ammo.

The only thing that can make me invest on a gun pretty much boils down to - Full Auto/Continuous trigger, Regenerating Ammo.

Edited by Guest

The daily grind finds me using a small clutch of frames and gear. A bit more broad than one melee, 2ndary, primary, but generally 3 weapons in each category see the majority of use. The piles of new stuff is ok, but mostly leveled and shelved.

I dont bother shooting things unless the mission requires it. Too boring usually. Stealth Smiaris scanning can net some sellable mods.  

Carrier has freed me from ignis wraith box busting so I save a lot of bullets.

5 hours ago, MaileenKR said:

are you telling us that you playing a very grindy (or at least time-consuming) game and actually dont enjoy/like the grind for new Stuff?

The grind for new stuff isn't all that hard (unless they are gated by super low chance RNG boss fight that wasn't even been bothered to be playtested).

I just kinda don't enjoy crappy grind. Like kuva. I need it to roll decent rivens. But because of RNG it's safe to pressume I'd need about 200k kuva for a chance of solid riven. I get 3,5k kuva after 25'ish minutes of survival. Lil bit faster if my cat activates. You do the math and tell me how much would you enjoy the grind that is done just for RNG to screw you over.

I also don't enjoy DEs logic where they keep on adding content for players ranging from 100-500 hours played (newbies-mid players), while those above 1k, or just veterans get the boot with nothing for them. Yeah Arbitrations were added. Whoop-de-dooo. Have you tried it? It sucks.

Meh don't wanna rant anymore, got only few hours left and gotta get myself about 800 ducats for baro :)

I made the mistake of starting this game by doing all the research I could on "what are the best weapons during x stage of the game".

Now I'm like MR16 or 17 and I have absolutely zero incentive to level up some S#&$ty Vipers, Ankyroses or Karaks, like I already have weapons that are leagues better than them, why should I bother? I still have like 9 to 10 MR to go to full but why should I sit through painstaking hours of doing the exact same thing to level something that'll be forever outclassed by what I had since the first half a year of playing?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MaileenKR said:

@deothor No offence but ehm .. are you telling us that you playing a very grindy (or at least time-consuming) game and actually dont enjoy/like the grind for new Stuff? Interesting. 🤭

Why should we bother grinding for something that'll be forever outclassed? I didn't need to level something like the Furax, why would I bother going back to level it now? Yes it's new but it's worthless, you don't gain anything from it. You only lose time and resources, unless you're okay with playing the same level again and again for hours doing the exact same thing.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, mosaickle said:

I still have like 9 to 10 MR to go to full but why should I sit through painstaking hours of doing the exact same thing to level something that'll be forever outclassed by what I had since the first half a year of playing?

The mastery process itself is empty and unrewarding as heck, for a series of tests that range from brainless to mildly entertaining for 2minutes.

It’s a pity that load out slots, daily standing cap and trading is gated behind a process like that.

I think once players hit that point where they’re powerful enough to take on any content with any weapon, you lose the “Why Use Anything Else” effect. For instance, I’ve invested at least 4-6 Forma in every weapon I own (which is nearly all of them), so whenever I go into a new mission I just press the randomize loadout button and roll with what I get.

I've beaten this a bit by building out specialized kits rather than do all tools. Otherwise Id use Supra vandal exclusively. In this way Im looking for perfect matches rather than perfect meta to fit the ideas I have. Im actually thinking of writing guides for some of them.

In this way my octavia is loaded out different from my garuda whose loaded out different from my trinity whose loaded out different from my Ivara.

Its why I think old ARPG players will end up finding greater longevity with this game than fps vets. When you start looking for thousands of ways to skin a kavat you'll end up finding them.

If you're having fun using the same weapons...

I do the same, rarely use anything else than Vectis P unless they are really interesting, not because of meta but because i find it more fun than other weapons.

Maybe an option to customize your existing regular weapons would be even better, i would like a dual Galatine Prime or a scoped Velocitus instead of the current options.

Welp...its funny...

Folks wanted some form of customizable/custom endgame weapon...

We got em...

The problem with weapons like that is that they become the end all be all which somewhat is intended.

Why make an Endgame weapon if its temporary?

Such is the issue with such weapons in ALL RPGs.

Edited by (PS4)Zero_029

9 hours ago, (PS4)teacup775 said:

The mastery process itself is empty and unrewarding as heck, for a series of tests that range from brainless to mildly entertaining for 2minutes.

It’s a pity that load out slots, daily standing cap and trading is gated behind a process like that.

Don't wanna sound like a greedy S#&$ but the only thing that would probably motivate me to level up MR would be like 300 to 400 plat. That's how boring it is, I would only do it for something equal to real life money.

Actually scratch that, I might not even do it for that amount of plat since I would have no use for it.

I tend to build far more modular weapons than it's really needed. I was never able to stick to "the only guns that are really ever worth using" before modular weapons, and I certainly am not able to stick to "the only combinations that are really ever worth making". Experimenting with pure trash and reaching a point where even that gains some usefulness has something that playing 24/7 with Corinth and spamming Peacemaker (two things which I adore doing FYI) will never have.

So... I don't know if you're alone. I have been there. But it wears out after some time. EIther that, or you'll get bored.