Not your average PC controller question

BRT_LovesSushi

Question

Hey everyone,

I'm stuck in my console ways, so naturally, I've been putting up with all the controller issues that have cropped up on PC with WF and Steam lately. Currently, I have to start WF from the menu bar, controller unplugged, then plug in after sign in - often more than once, because occasionally the game will freeze with this method. That said, as a reward, I get full controller support over my character and equipment wheel, with the added ability to hit T on my keyboard and type freely to my team as needed in mission! If I just try to play with the controller through big picture mode I get controller support (some gear wheel support) but no ability to talk with my team via keyboard and am forced to use the crappy controller to type interface. Anyway... This method was working fine for me until I finally got through The Second Dream and TWW, something I've been looking forward to for a while now... But I'm not sure my soft boot controller method works¬†for all the operator stuff - That or I just haven't figured out the finger dexterity needed to pull it off ūüôā

Question 1 - Using a DS4, how do you pull out your operator while using your archwing to void dash quickly across the map? A common move I see all the time, but I don't seem to be able to pull out my operator mid-flight to use his dash ability... oddly I can trigger the Onota's 1 ability though and bring out a shield.  

Question 2 - How do pull out your operator quickly in combat to trigger... Well, anything? I've seen lots of vids of people quickly flipping back and forth from operator to WF in combat to trigger things like an energy rift, but I can't for the life of me figure out the quick method to doing that on a controller. I've recently got in the habit of holding down r1 to quick command through my abilities, but since there are only 4 buttons/options on the controller I have to manually select my 5 (operator) using the D-pad. From there I can quickly select him through tapping r1, but get back to my standard abilities I have to get him back in the frame and hold down r1 to open the quick command menu again. From there I have to manually reselect my 5 to pull him out again so there doesn't seem to be a quick option for eidolon fights!

Question 3 - Lastly, I don't seem have quick access at all to the gesture menu with my controller, those only seem to work if I select them manually using a mouse and the animations lock in place and can't be canceled except by another animation. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to figure this out for quality of life in the game. Any help would be appreciated - I'd prefer to keep playing on a DS4 if possible!

5 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, BRT_LovesSushi said:

Question 1 - Using a DS4, how do you pull out your operator while using your archwing to void dash quickly across the map? A common move I see all the time, but I don't seem to be able to pull out my operator mid-flight to use his dash ability... oddly I can trigger the Onota's 1 ability though and bring out a shield.

You can't that's the Itzal archwing's first ability called blink. If you want to use operator you have to leave your archwing first.

16 minutes ago, BRT_LovesSushi said:

Question 2

Those people you watch are probably just using mouse and keyboard which is why they can switch so quickly. If you want to get that fast with the controller just practice a lot until it becomes second nature. I know it doesn't really help but that's the best thing i can offer.

19 minutes ago, BRT_LovesSushi said:

animations lock in place and can't be canceled except by another animation

DE said that they are working on it either for the next hot fix or next update where we will be able to cancel animations by moving.

Thanks! AndouRaiton!

Good to know on the archwing ability, I thought it was universal but I guess that's just the default archwing people bring onto the plains or OV. Interested if anyone has overcome the controller limitation, I'm pretty good, but not nearly as fast as the people I'm referencing - the 4 face buttons make it a huge challenge. Also, good to know on the stuck animations... Any idea why I can only navigate to gesture menu via controller though? Does it have to do with the soft boot controller option I've been using or is that link broken for other controller players as well?

Cheers,

B 

For question 2:

I use an XBone controller whenever I play on controller, but the layout should be the same. For me, to enter operator, I just hold down R1 and press L1. Then void dash, and single-press R1 to go back to warframe. Once you get used to the whole R1+L1,L1+A(or X in your case),R1 combo, it becomes quite fast.

I personally don't tend to hold down R1 constantly. I just think of it as a combination move per se. For example if I wanted to cast my 4, I would quickly hit R1+Y(Triangle in your case). This makes it easier for me to do stuff like bullet jump and melee on the fly (plus, tapping R1 will quick-cast your last used ability, which is useful sometimes). I've also completely given up on using gear items through the controller. I usually just quickly jump back to my keyboard to do stuff like pop energy pads or emote.

13 hours ago, Yuri_Doujinshi said:

For question 2:

I use an XBone controller whenever I play on controller, but the layout should be the same. For me, to enter operator, I just hold down R1 and press L1. Then void dash, and single-press R1 to go back to warframe. Once you get used to the whole R1+L1,L1+A(or X in your case),R1 combo, it becomes quite fast.

I personally don't tend to hold down R1 constantly. I just think of it as a combination move per se. For example if I wanted to cast my 4, I would quickly hit R1+Y(Triangle in your case). This makes it easier for me to do stuff like bullet jump and melee on the fly (plus, tapping R1 will quick-cast your last used ability, which is useful sometimes). I've also completely given up on using gear items through the controller. I usually just quickly jump back to my keyboard to do stuff like pop energy pads or emote.

I actually do the same with R1 and an ability, think I explained that wrong... it’s decently fast though. Didn’t know I could hit L1 to fast pull the operator, that seemed to work until I finished the TWW, but it’s been spotty since so I thought I had to manually start scrolling over the the transference button. The DS4 isn’t perfect. More to the point though, you just started using both keyboard and mouse and controller then? Do you use the same soft boot method? I’ve been thinking of switching an Xbox controller, especially if it has better support.

Think I may have figured this out, the soft boot method might be screwing with the game controls, also, there seems to be an optimization issue happening in system... I usually play with the game maxed out in settings - this is what the game optimization recommends for my setup, and it appears that on Plains or OV (the more open landscapes) when things get crazy I start getting huge amounts of input lag. The odd thing is that regular gameplay isn’t affected, but things like weapon switching and pulling out the operator are. Not sure if this entirely a game issue or a controller support issue, but it’s definitly there. Very glad to know that transference via R1 and L1 works without issue, now maybe if I play with my settings I can get some better input times. 

System:

1800x - 4ghz across all cores

32gigs of 3100 ram (over 2 16gig sticks) - CL14

1080ti Strix

and WF runs off of my internal m.2 drive, direct on the board.

ūüėČ

Edited by BRT_LovesSushi