The storyline has a sword problem (spoilersish)

Elementalos

Don't take this complaint too seriously but...

The War Within rewards us with Broken War, a sword.

Three quests later, The Sacrifice rewards us with Skiajati, another sword... and Excalibur Umbra, a warframe that summons a sword for its powers.

The next quest after that, Chimera Prologue, rewards us with the blueprints for Paracesis, another sword.

That's literally three (or four) swords in five quests, and the prologues are more like interactive cutscenes than full blown quests too. So if I want to exaggerate as much as possible I can say with some degree of honesty that Warframe has given us four different swords to wield in three full quests. 

I mean hey, they're all cool weapons so ultimately it's fine, really, I don't think anyone is gonna get honestly mad at cool free gear...but maybe don't forget that primaries and secondaries exist! And melee weapons that aren't different types of swords.

They're at least different kinds of swords, so (unless you waste take the time and effort to craft War)
you don't end up with redundant weapons, each of them is different enough to not pose a real problem methinks.

It also makes sense on a most-common-denominator basis,
swords are the "default" weapon type in lotsa games for a reason, they just work,
I'm fine with more exotic stuff being up to the player to find by themselves.

But sure, something other than Melee weapons would've been interesting.
I guess, FWIW, you "unlock" Zarr / Twin Rogga via The War Within and the ability to farm Kuva, that's ... something?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Elementalos said:

I mean hey, they're all cool weapons so ultimately it's fine, really, I don't think anyone is gonna get honestly mad at cool free gear...but maybe don't forget that primaries and secondaries exist! And melee weapons that aren't different types of swords.

Each of those quests/interactive cutscenes are separated by months if not years of time (the game’s development). Ages of daily grind where they have little meaningful function go by.

They’re more like event momentos. A side show to the main grinding event! 😉

• Like 1

You aren't getting just a sword for any except the Chimera Prologue. Let's run through the major quests of the Operator story line, shall we?

After The Second Dream, you got a whole new tileset (Lua) with some new enemies (Sentients), the Focus system, and a super version of the Stalker.

After The War Within, you got Operator Mode, the ability to use Amps, the alignment system, Rivens and Kuva farming, the Broken Scepter, the Orvius, and another whole new tileset (the Kuva Fortress) populated by an entire sub-faction of super versions of existing enemies (Kuva Troops).

After Chains of Harrow, you of course got Harrow, and the Man in the Wall started harassing you.

After The Sacrifice, you got an introduction to Umbra Warframes, which anyone would have guessed would arrive in the form of the franchise's literal poster-boy Excalibur, and also the first two sets of Umbral Mods.

This is not even getting into the three prerequisite quests in the same narrative thread: Stolen Dreams, The New Strange, and Natah. Stolen Dreams introduces Maroo, and presumably Ayatans as well through her Bazaar, but I'm not completely sure. The New Strange gives you Chroma and Sanctuary Onslaught, and also notifies you of Simaris' existence and his Sanctuary/Simulacrum if you didn't already know. Natah is probably the first time you interacted with Teshin, because almost nobody cares about Conclave, and you also got the first real clue that something big was coming.

I'm not sure whether I should count The Glast Gambit or not, since while I don't think it's currently a prerequisite for other quests, it does introduce the Helminth room, which is affected by your alignment and is also supposed to be important later.

Even setting all of that aside, you're getting 3 different types of sword, and all but the Paracesis (which will more than likely be useful in the next quest) come pre-built with their own slot and potato.

Edited by Dreddeth

I don't see the problem with getting swords. They tend to be the best looking weapons with the best looking skins so I am not complaining. If anything, I don't mind getting more swords, like fancy Umbra Rapiers or something of that line.

The broken scepter was such a disappointment anyway.

15 hours ago, AndouRaiton said:

Second Dream gives us Broken War

TWW gives us the broken scepter and Orvius blueprint.

I honestly forgot broken scepter exists, my mistake.

That's still a lot of swords... and broken scepter and Orvius are still both melee slot weapons.

Edited by Elementalos