Animal pheromones are auto used?

I picked up some and kept them for later for a while, today I used a pheromone to see how it works and it didn't do jack sh*t pretty much. It's a higher(!) chance to spawn right? Not guaranteed to spawn a rare I guess. Anyway I used only 1 then finished my tag run but when I returned to Orb Vallis for some more tagging I noticed all of the pheromones of that type were gone. So bloody thing is auto use? Or do you somehow manually turn it off?

They're actually bugged at the moment so if you use any in a mission they all disappear when you exit, regardless of how many you had left over. (I.E. you buy 6, but use 1, you will have 0 after the mission even though you should have 5 left.) DE will hopefully fix it once they get back from their holiday break. Until then, I suggest only buying a handful at a time.

As for how they work, they have an increased chance of spawning a rarer subspecies of the animal. Without them, you get the standard variety about 60% of the time, the uncommon about 30%, and the rare about 10%. (Results are from personal testing only on Virmink.) With the pheromones, I've noticed it calls the rare variety about 75% of the time and the uncommon about 25%. I've yet to get a common variety out of a pheromone call, though I won't rule it out completely.

Edited by IcicleFerret
grammar