Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Use Absorb And How We Can Make It "feel Good"

Estred

I have played Nyx well on T3 and Survival missions to over 70 minutes so I feel I know how to both use and how to fix Absorb to make it feel good and be worthy of being an Uber/Ultimate Skill. Also it will justify the cost and time to use it.

Current state Absorb is a strange skill, it's a utility/defense skill with an offensive twist. There are a few ways to use Absorb. Also remember it deals less damage the further from the center enemies are. Currently it's a pretty big blast at 25 Meters (50 Meter Diameter). However it is blocked by terrain.

How to use Absorb in it's current state by function.

- Protecting an ally while the pick-up a downed ally. Enemies cannot shoot in the Absorb Bubble and they cannot shoot in from the outside. Thus you and your allies are totally protected from gunfire.

- Jump into a cluster of Heavies and Fusion Moas or any other hard-hitting using, but especially F-Moa as thier Laser super-charges Absorb. Immediately drop Chaos so they attack each other. Activate Absorb. Chaos has a longer duration that Absorb does so even with Continuity you will absorb all the damage the enemies would have dealt to each other, and blast it cumulatively to them all, then walk away as they continue to fight one another.

- Emergency protection of the Cryo-Pod. Just like the 1st option this is a "pinch" skill to prevent the pod from taking damage. You need your team to fill in for you during this however.

The problems with absorb are apparent to anyone who has followed the Fix-Nyx thread. Aggro isn't one of them. You have to use it right. The bigger issues with absorb are:

- Blocked by Terrain

- Damage Falloff

- Leaves Nyx Vulnerable after termination if any enemy lives.

- Deals subpar damage for the amount of time lost channeling the skill.

Now how are those to be fixed without breaking the skill? Well first off some of those aren't problems they are limiters. Terrain blocking the blast is a limiter and should not be removed if other issues are resolved. Now I will address each problem directly.

Damage Falloff

Simply put you only deal 100% Damage 5m from Nyx herself, if anyone has a more exact number feel free to post this is what  I seem to get when I test solo. The result is even is you absorb 200,000 damage you probably are only dealing 100,000 at best and more likely 50,000 to most enemies. That is of course if you can absorb that much and enemies who deal those numbers probably have 1,000,000+ HP. The way to fix this really is to just remove the Fall Off from the equation. No other ult does this and Antimatter Drop, jokingly called "Mobile Absorb" has no falloff. A lesser cost skill is more effective than Nyx's Ult, this is a problem.

Leaves Nyx Vulnerable

This issue is resolved by using Chaos before Absorb in a cluster of enemies. However many a Nyx would love having a form of Damage Reduction for 3-5 seconds after Absorb finishes channeling, a form of residual energy. Perhaps the Reduction could be based off the damage dealt in a ratio. Effective use of the skill nullifies this problem.

Edit: Thank you to Yangskiii for the idea.

I actually agree with him in that a secondary method to alleviate the "kill me now" effect that terminating Absorb has currently would be to have a form of pulse similar to Wuym's Crowd Dispersion. Either a Stun or the above mentioned DR would be reasonable approaches to alleviate the death-lotus that Nyx is dropped into if she misplaces Absorb. Almost no other ultimate punishes a frame quite so much for improper use. The only close ones are Volt and Banshee.

Deals Sub-Par Damage for the time spent Channeling

Heh, long problem name I know. Basically for sitting there for 10-15 Seconds (Continuity+Constitution) you can have easily shot off 5 full rounds of Sobek or 10 Ogris Shots, both of which will have dealt far more damage than Absorb can even dream of right now. The way to resolve this? Like Antimatter Drop, Absorb should compound the damage it receives. Perhaps the ratio could be by rank for example;

- Rank 0: 100% (damage in = damage out)

This is what Absorb is now.

- Rank 1: 175% (damage in * 1.75 = damage out)

*So we start getting more damage out, and since we removed fall-off it's more reliable.

- Rank 2:  250% (damage In * 2.5 = damage out)

* Absorb starts hurting and scaling better to late game.

- Rank 3: 325% (damage in * 3.25 = damage out)

*Alright now Absorb is really hurting hard and capable of doing high-damage detonations when used right.

Numbers are hypothetical and would be up to DE to decide I use these values for reference not actual suggestion.

So that is how I feel Absorb is used currently and how it can be fixed without overpowering it and without redesigning it. These are purely numerical changes to the skill.

- Fall-Off Radius = 0 meaning no fall-off

- Damage Reflected scales by rank.

Thoughts?

Edited by Estred

I only played Nyx a few hours and I am positive that it is indeed one of the frames that I would use reactor and forma and time on.

I agree with your ideas, as I myself feel that Absorb is LACKING.

About the skill leaving Nyx vulnerable, I was thinking that maybe along with the release of it's damage comes a shockwave pushing back and knocking down enemies near you, say 5-7m, leaving you space and time to move away from the midst of what otherwise be a deadly place to be. Damage reduction might be a good idea, especially to us Nyx user, but I'm sure a few would raise their "voice" objecting the said fallback for the Nyx after using the said skill is too much. 

Edited by yangskiii

About the skill leaving Nyx vulnerable, I was thinking that maybe along with the release of it's damage comes a shockwave pushing back and knocking down enemies near you, say 5-7m, leaving you space and time to move away from the midst of what otherwise be a deadly place to be.

Push back is a great idea! Description on the skill says it "channels that collected energy into an explosive radial discharge." and while we have a discharge, we definitely do not have an explosion xD.

One major bug of absorb is that, when you are not the host and have a continuity, constitution, or both installed, it will absorb the damage for 10 seconds and the rest of the time Nyx meditates and takes the rest of it to her precious self.

Edited by Bouldershoulder

Aggro still is indeed a problem, Absorb (and Psychic Bolts) should go through terrain by default. The pulse effect also makes sense. Also Absorb is not affected by Focus, so it's lacking in power even more so.

Absorb has innate 800 damage which, I think, is affected by focus.

Edited by Bouldershoulder

Aggro still is indeed a problem, Absorb (and Psychic Bolts) should go through terrain by default. The pulse effect also makes sense. Also Absorb is not affected by Focus, so it's lacking in power even more so.

It does however scale with level since higher level enemies do more damage. It's not entirely terrible, just that it's usually too late and gets you killed.

The only problem I have with it is that I can't detonate it prematurely. Other than that I think it's fine that Nyx can't rely on spaming 4.

Yeah, Nyx should be able to cancel it early. Maybe canceling the channel reduces the area/damage, or maybe it simply stops and does nothing. I don't really care so long as I can cancel so I don't doom a downed squadmate by accidentally pressing 4 before I can revive.

I do like these ideas for changes, and would also like to bring up the fact that allies shooting the absorb also adds to its damage, meaning that if you have a few allies firing high level weapons into it, it can wipe the floor with enemies quite easily. A lot of people seem to miss that and wonder why I shoot the absorb when a nyx pops it instead of shooting the enemies themselves at times.

But I would like to see a boost in the damage deal that it absorbed and an increase in the falloff radius would be a definite plus.

I have played Nyx well on T3 and Survival missions to over 70 minutes so I feel I know how to both use and how to fix Absorb to make it feel good and be worthy of being an Uber/Ultimate Skill. Also it will justify the cost and time to use it.

Current state Absorb is a strange skill, it's a utility/defense skill with an offensive twist. There are a few ways to use Absorb. Also remember it deals less damage the further from the center enemies are. Currently it's a pretty big blast at 25 Meters (50 Meter Diameter). However it is blocked by terrain.

How to use Absorb in it's current state by function.

- Protecting an ally while the pick-up a downed ally. Enemies cannot shoot in the Absorb Bubble and they cannot shoot in from the outside. Thus you and your allies are totally protected from gunfire.

- Jump into a cluster of Heavies and Fusion Moas or any other hard-hitting using, but especially F-Moa as thier Laser super-charges Absorb. Immediately drop Chaos so they attack each other. Activate Absorb. Chaos has a longer duration that Absorb does so even with Continuity you will absorb all the damage the enemies would have dealt to each other, and blast it cumulatively to them all, then walk away as they continue to fight one another.

- Emergency protection of the Cryo-Pod. Just like the 1st option this is a "pinch" skill to prevent the pod from taking damage. You need your team to fill in for you during this however.

The problems with absorb are apparent to anyone who has followed the Fix-Nyx thread. Aggro isn't one of them. You have to use it right. The bigger issues with absorb are:

- Blocked by Terrain

- Damage Falloff

- Leaves Nyx Vulnerable after termination if any enemy lives.

- Deals subpar damage for the amount of time lost channeling the skill.

Now how are those to be fixed without breaking the skill? Well first off some of those aren't problems they are limiters. Terrain blocking the blast is a limiter and should not be removed if other issues are resolved. Now I will address each problem directly.

Damage Falloff

Simply put you only deal 100% Damage 5m from Nyx herself, if anyone has a more exact number feel free to post this is what  I seem to get when I test solo. The result is even is you absorb 200,000 damage you probably are only dealing 100,000 at best and more likely 50,000 to most enemies. That is of course if you can absorb that much and enemies who deal those numbers probably have 1,000,000+ HP. The way to fix this really is to just remove the Fall Off from the equation. No other ult does this and Antimatter Drop, jokingly called "Mobile Absorb" has no falloff. A lesser cost skill is more effective than Nyx's Ult, this is a problem.

Leaves Nyx Vulnerable

This issue is resolved by using Chaos before Absorb in a cluster of enemies. However many a Nyx would love having a form of Damage Reduction for 3-5 seconds after Absorb finishes channeling, a form of residual energy. Perhaps the Reduction could be based off the damage dealt in a ratio. Effective use of the skill nullifies this problem.

Edit: Thank you to Yangskiii for the idea.

I actually agree with him in that a secondary method to alleviate the "kill me now" effect that terminating Absorb has currently would be to have a form of pulse similar to Wuym's Crowd Dispersion. Either a Stun or the above mentioned DR would be reasonable approaches to alleviate the death-lotus that Nyx is dropped into if she misplaces Absorb. Almost no other ultimate punishes a frame quite so much for improper use. The only close ones are Volt and Banshee.

Deals Sub-Par Damage for the time spent Channeling

Heh, long problem name I know. Basically for sitting there for 10-15 Seconds (Continuity+Constitution) you can have easily shot off 5 full rounds of Sobek or 10 Ogris Shots, both of which will have dealt far more damage than Absorb can even dream of right now. The way to resolve this? Like Antimatter Drop, Absorb should compound the damage it receives. Perhaps the ratio could be by rank for example;

- Rank 0: 100% (damage in = damage out)

This is what Absorb is now.

- Rank 1: 175% (damage in * 1.75 = damage out)

*So we start getting more damage out, and since we removed fall-off it's more reliable.

- Rank 2:  250% (damage In * 2.5 = damage out)

* Absorb starts hurting and scaling better to late game.

- Rank 3: 325% (damage in * 3.25 = damage out)

*Alright now Absorb is really hurting hard and capable of doing high-damage detonations when used right.

Numbers are hypothetical and would be up to DE to decide I use these values for reference not actual suggestion.

So that is how I feel Absorb is used currently and how it can be fixed without overpowering it and without redesigning it. These are purely numerical changes to the skill.

- Fall-Off Radius = 0 meaning no fall-off

- Damage Reflected scales by rank.

Thoughts?

You just gave me a soul boner... Nice organization too. But there is one thing... Melee enemies.

you have had some really good ideas and I hope the Devs are listening, so what is your fix for enemies that don't use guns? As of right now absorb doesn't do diddly squat against those suckers...

Edited by Liverslices

You just gave me a soul boner... Nice organization too. But there is one thing... Melee enemies.

you have had some really good ideas and I hope the Devs are listening, so what is your fix for enemies that don't use guns? As of right now absorb doesn't do diddly squat against those suckers...

For enemies that Melee I assume you mean things like Ancients and Infested.

My way to address that would be to allow direct hits to Nyx herself to have 1/2 the charge effect. The skill is anti-corpus/grineer mostly but you can supercharge it with allies for effectiveness against infested (to which it can deal more damage maybe?). I would also have the Toxic Ancients cloud charge it.

That's just my spitballing.