Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Camera location - Warframe too close to center

Macgillicutty00

Third person view is suppose to be that the player can see their whole body, not just the upper part and just offsetting the reticule as "third person".

In WoW, I can adjust the view from first person like a FPS, to w-a-y out with two buttons CTRL and +/- keys. Blizzard for BfA reduced the FoV so raiders couldn't get to see the full raid (thus making it more difficult to avoid AoEs). Raiders were using FoV settings that they can view the entire room, and trivializing content as they can see everything and not even needing to move.

Perhaps that is why DE does it for Warframe, too ... what you can't see can kill you (WF is all about playing with sensory perceptions -- lighting/illusions/how to defocus, etc as "hardships").

3 minutes ago, Kevyne_Kicklighter said:

Third person view is suppose to be that the player can see their whole body, not just the upper part and just offsetting the reticule as "third person".

In WoW, I can adjust the view from first person like a FPS, to w-a-y out with two buttons CTRL and +/- keys. Blizzard for BfA reduced the FoV so raiders couldn't get to see the full raid (thus making it more difficult to avoid AoEs). Raiders were using FoV settings that they can view the entire room, and trivializing content as they can see everything and not even needing to move.

Perhaps that is why DE does it for Warframe, too ... what you can't see can kill you (WF is all about playing with sensory perceptions -- lighting/illusions/how to defocus, etc as "hardships").

OP's talking about moving the camera sideways, not backwards, so the Frame is further to the side of the screen and away from the reticle. Something like that should have minimal effect on peripheral visibility.

Plus the camera's forced in-bounds so even if it was going on about moving the camera backwards, the ability to see an entire room would be pretty situational and, given the matter of movement and enemy radar and aiming and the like, practically pointless.

14 minutes ago, Tyreaus said:

OP's talking about moving the camera sideways, not backwards, so the Frame is further to the side of the screen and away from the reticle. Something like that should have minimal effect on peripheral visibility.

Plus the camera's forced in-bounds so even if it was going on about moving the camera backwards, the ability to see an entire room would be pretty situational and, given the matter of movement and enemy radar and aiming and the like, practically pointless.

That type of moving, will cause a lot of mischief (Blizzard allowed that control for the armory poses ... it didn't last a year! They made the armory look like an Animal House movie skit -- the upside down and Kilroy poses .............. Give boys some toys and "Oh, my!!!!).

https://goo.gl/images/bXo241

(adjust everything! Animation pose; zoom in and out; off-setting; rotation; elevation ... it was a NICE armory for less than a year!).

What you want is changing the position of the reticle itself. But then it defeats the whole WF theme of being off-center.

8 hours ago, Kevyne_Kicklighter said:

That type of moving, will cause a lot of mischief (Blizzard allowed that control for the armory poses ... it didn't last a year! They made the armory look like an Animal House movie skit -- the upside down and Kilroy poses .............. Give boys some toys and "Oh, my!!!!).

Yeah, whereas Cryptic Studios had the ability to zoom out the camera in City of Heroes, and it lasted for 8 years until the game shut down. You could zoom out far enough that your character was barely even visible on-screen and it did nothing whatsoever to gameplay, other than provide players some degree of comfort. About the only issue was manoeuvring the camera in close quarters where walls would force it into your character, but that's about it. Of course, City of Heroes also had an "orbiting camera" locked onto the character's head that mouse look would rotate.

I'm in full agreement with the OP and have meant to post this myself on a number of occasions. Stuff like this really shouldn't be happening in a modern game. My character shouldn't be blocking a goof half of the action on-screen. I'm personally of the opinion that my character should either be farther to the left or my view should be higher up above his head. I wouldn't be opposed to the camera being zoomed out slightly farther back, either.

That's not to say that Warframe's camera position is terrible, but... Well, every time I go to play another third-person shooter from The Division to GTA 5 to Space Marine to even something like Spintires, going back to Warframe is harsh. It constantly feels like my Warframe is blocking my view or blocking my shots or getting in the way. And I'm playing at the maximum FoV the game offers, too, which itself isn't all that high. I really wish we could have a simple camera distance setting, or maybe a couple of "camera offset" settings for horizontal and vertical. And yeah, I know shots are tracked from the weapon and not from the centre of my view so shifting my Warframe to the side would mess with my aim, but... Well, that's my choice, innit? And you can still have the same view for over-the-shoulder aiming if precision is such an issue.

Me personally, I prefer a camera centred over my character and set high over their head.

This is something that has bothered me about Warframe since I started playing. Your character model is too close to the crosshairs and constantly blocks your view unless you ADS.

9 hours ago, Kevyne_Kicklighter said:

Literally wth are you even talking about. This game is a shooter. Anything that blocks your ability to aim is obviously a bad idea.

22 hours ago, Kevyne_Kicklighter said:

https://goo.gl/images/bXo241

(adjust everything! Animation pose; zoom in and out; off-setting; rotation; elevation ... it was a NICE armory for less than a year!).

What you want is changing the position of the reticle itself. But then it defeats the whole WF theme of being off-center.

Allow me to try to explain:

When you're in game, you can press H (by default, I believe) and it'll shift the camera—reticle and all—to the Warframe's opposite shoulder. It has a nice, smooth little horizontal pan of the camera.

What OP is asking for, and the only thing OP is asking for, is to be able to increase (or, I guess depending on player preferences, decrease) the distance the camera and reticle pan when you press H, thereby increasing the horizontal, visual distance between the Warframe and the reticle. DE can still cap this if needed, e.g. to keep the camera from literally scraping across every single wall as you turn because you have the slider set to 9999.

DE, if one of your employees is reading this: make a gif or video of what happens when the vertical pan is set to some absurdly high number and the player turns around or switches shoulder views. If you do a video and add SFX to every slam of the camera onto a new wall I will personally love you forever.

But it has nothing to do with zoom or weird rotation or elevation options.

Edited by Tyreaus

5 hours ago, Tyreaus said:

DE, if one of your employees is reading this: make a gif or video of what happens when the vertical pan is set to some absurdly high number and the player turns around or switches shoulder views. If you do a video and add SFX to every slam of the camera onto a new wall I will personally love you forever.

I doubt the OP is even asking for the pan to be user-adjustable, come on...
And about camera collision, isn't that what already happens on most wall latches for example? (really, camera should switch to first person on wall latch but eh)

Anyway, have any of you actually tried to aim/zoom while using large shoulder armor on? Or even Nekros Prime regular skin with that flap-thingy on the back of the shoulder?
The aesthetics get in the way of the reticle, that's what happens

Either move the camera a tiny bit to the side, or a tiny bit up.
Or make aesthetics temporary fade out or disappear when they come too close to the reticle, just like Mirage's clones when they are.

3 hours ago, TezeretFoxtrot said:

I doubt the OP is even asking for the pan to be user-adjustable, come on...

At the same time, why not, though? As long as there are reasonable limits to camera offset, I don't see why players can't be allowed to tweak a few sliders for horizontal and vertical offset, and maybe even camera distance. I'm fine with not letting me put the camera 20 meters behind my character, and I'd wager most would be fine with relatively minor adjustments of maybe a meter in each direction tops.

I mean, the FoV slider in the game doesn't exactly have a very wide range, either, but what range it has is still FAR better than having no slider at all. Unless DE did something really odd with how aiming in the game works, slightly more horizontal and vertical offset shouldn't matter so much.

I have this problem whenever I ADS with certain armor set shoulder guards on the right side, really big bulky armor sets like the vetala armor (revenants armor set) or even things like those wing solstice armor sets (the solstice version of the furis and sybaris armor) where ADSing makes ur warframe shift its shoulder to the point where the wings block half your reticle.

Edited by birdobash

On 2019-01-01 at 7:17 AM, (PS4)sister-hawk said:

This is something that has bothered me about Warframe since I started playing. Your character model is too close to the crosshairs and constantly blocks your view unless you ADS.

Worse, your frame and especially weapons don’t even have to point in the direction of attacks -except- some melee where it does (face palm).

the visual dissonance is really a turn off.

on archwing it’s excruciatingly worse.

Stealth frames fix this by providing faux first person. 😉

On 2019-01-01 at 7:03 AM, Steel_Rook said:

Yeah, whereas Cryptic Studios had the ability to zoom out the camera in City of Heroes,

Neverwinter sports it, to great utility. 

Edited by (PS4)teacup775

On the subject of our Warframe and weapons obscuring our view of the target, has anyone tried an Atmospheric Fluctus yet? Because the results are hilarious:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1616750597

I'd argue we really do need a way to adjust the camera at least slightly so stuff like this stops happening. I love the look of my own Warframe and especially my guns, but this is a bit much. "Can't see the killing for my gun. How philosophical."

I know what the OP is on about and I fully support his notion. The camera is t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e in this game. I've played lots of third person games that have done a better job than WF (to name a few: Dragons Dogma, Dark Souls, Darksiders, SpecOps TL, The Division). Warframe needs to step up their camera game.

Give us more options!

- Axis Offsets (X, Y)

- FOV up to 90 perhaps?

I think some of this obstruction is the result oh higher resolutions and FoV. The Model / Camera doesn't seem to have moved over the years.

FoV won't really help with aiming either. The Corsshair feeling obstructed might actually be the result of FoV.

Here some comparison pics to kinda show what I mean.

• Old Warframe 16:9, FoV? ( Not sure if you could even change it back then )
Spoiler

6Z5lamI.jpg

• New Warframe (emulated) 16:9, 78 Horizontal 110 Horizontal FoV
Spoiler

EmKGnoj.jpg

• New Warframe 21:9, 63 Vertical 110 Horizontal FoV (Same as above but not cropped)
Spoiler

M4GW4pE.jpg

• New Warframe 21:9, 78 Vertical 124 Horizontal FoV
Spoiler

g16VhGF.jpg

One could conclude the higher the player's Horizontal FoV the more camera shifting is needed.

• Like 2

The camera is my main annoyance with this game, playing at 21:9 with maximum fov. Often when I pick it back up it's only a matter of days until the camera drives me away again. I really wish they'd improve it as I want to play more warframe.

Xzorn is clearly on to something there. Well done, thanks for your contribution!

For example, look at this image:

https://imgur.com/a/fmTYtDX

That is just... ridiculous. Resolution is 1920x1080. Can we please get a official opinion on this? Someone from DE, perhaps? I can understand that there are simply too many combinations to test out each one. But then we players need the tools to rectify these issues ourselves.

If you want to replicate this:

Frost + Harka Skin + Arcturus Syndana

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Igorath said:

Xzorn is clearly on to something there. Well done, thanks for your contribution!

For example, look at this image:

https://imgur.com/a/fmTYtDX

That is just... ridiculous. Resolution is 1920x1080. Can we please get a official opinion on this? Someone from DE, perhaps? I can understand that there are simply too many combinations to test out each one. But then we players need the tools to rectify these issues ourselves.

If you want to replicate this:

Frost + Harka Skin + Arcturus Syndana

I bought the Arcturus Syandana a long time ago, I used it for around 3 missions and never used it again for the same problem.