Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

_Dan

Haven't you guys made enough money at this point to have dedicated servers?

the amount of 

'Connection to Host Has Been Lost' 

lost resources/hours of my life at this point is becoming really ridiculous.  I live in Asia and alot of people don't really have the best internet here,thankfully I'm not one of those people and have a good connection. Doesn't mean a damn thing with this terrible p2p host system you have. I have at least 5-6 ' host Migrations' every time I play, and Don't want to be subjected to a really S#&$ty dudes internet every time i go into the planes or fortuna. It's really becoming a huge issue and making this game massively undesirable to play for me.

At the very least,  please give us the option to choose if we want to always be the host... Is that possible? 

Honestly, dedicated servers are just really expensive, the costs to run them grow with your playerbase as well. So even if they're making more money then ever before, they also have more players then ever before..

Personally, it's not an issue for me most of the time, but I know it is for a lot of people.

7 hours ago, PoisonHD said:

Honestly, dedicated servers are just really expensive

So is Prime access.

Sorry but that's just not an excuse for that I will accept at this point, I too, have a soft spot for DE, but this isn't the 'little struggling dev team' anymore, this p2p host system is hugely unstable, inconsistent, and outdated. its destroying the game experience for many people, they need to change it, simple as that.

Even with Dedicated server. You're still looking for constant 200+ ping there and you still have a decent chance of disconnected from the server. Even ifthey did place server on all over the world. Because how DE done with having one server that saved all data and not distributed to each region. It'll still have problem with saving data from Dedicated server into main server.

No they haven't

And #*!% the guys that arent close to the server and has to bear with 200 ping minimum I guess. That's fine too

#*!%ed either way I guess

Edit: I too wish its a thing but well. Uh. Well.

i wish they'd just give us an option 'Always be the host' is that too much to ask if they aren't willing to give us dedicated servers?

3 hours ago, _Dan said:

So is Prime access.

Sorry but that's just not an excuse for that I will accept at this point

Well sorry bucko but that's the truth. Dedicated servers are frigging expensive. There are times when even AAA games struggle to cover their costs.

kay, so, how about 'always be the host' option?

12 minutes ago, _Dan said:

kay, so, how about 'always be the host' option?

Obvious question: What happens if more than one person in the squad has it enabled?

the one with the strongest ping based on their selected location is chosen to be the host. Hardly rocket science

1 minute ago, _Dan said:

the one with the strongest ping based on their selected location is chosen to be the host. Hardly rocket science

Then you've accomplished nothing.

I'm sorry, what? I don't think you get it, the amount of people with bad connections who plays this game (especially in Asia) be them downloading in the background, or just bad connections in general, is crazy, I have lost so much of my time, resources, thanks to losing connection to host, or bugged host migration. warping all over the place, doors not opening, caches not opening. just endless, massive game breaking issues.

WHY, is it such a big thing to want 'always host' option for people with good connections and internet. I understand this forum is VERY defensive of their precious game and DE can do no wrong, butreally, a game that demands so much time and relies on resources and farming should BE STABLE as far as connection is concerned.

4 minutes ago, _Dan said:

I'm sorry, what? I don't think you get it, the amount of people with bad connections who plays this game (especially in Asia) be them downloading in the background, or just bad connections in general, is crazy, I have lost so much of my time, resources, thanks to losing connection to host, or bugged host migration. warping all over the place, doors not opening, caches not opening. just endless, massive game breaking issues.

WHY, is it such a big thing to want 'always host' option for people with good connections and internet. I understand this forum is VERY defensive of their precious game and DE can do no wrong, butreally, a game that demands so much time and relies on resources and farming should BE STABLE as far as connection is concerned.

Except there's nothing stopping everyone from switching the option on. At which point you are effectively back where you started.

Like I said, there could very easily be a backend system in place in which the game checks against those with bad connections who have that option selected, do you have selective reading? i replied to your post and you just ignored it.

We can't get dedicated servers? Fine. At least have some kind of system in place that weeds out the people downloading or with poor connection/ping to their relevant region... It's hardly asking for much, jesus christ.

1 minute ago, _Dan said:

Like I said, there could very easily be a backend system in place in which the game checks against those with bad connections who have that option selected, do you have selective reading? i replied to your post and you just ignored it

What can I say, your tone doesn't really make me want to pay attention to what you say.

Again, if everyone checks the option, and the game defaults to the person with the best connection, then you are effectively back where you started, and may as well not have the option.

My tone is like this because it seems when ever anyone makes a suggestion on this forum about basic things that need fixing an army of people with thousands of post jump to DE's defense with illogical and backwards thinking because they are so invested and just blind to the issues of this game, it's like a cult, really odd.

I think you're kind of missing the point here, if it defaults to a person with the best connection; GREAT!!! that is the whole point, there won't be warping, doors not opening, or drop outs.. that would mean the person with the best connection is the host. The issue here, (as I have said multiple times already) is people with BAD connections being the host to public games.

2 minutes ago, _Dan said:

My tone is like this because it seems when ever anyone makes a suggestion on this forum about basic things that need fixing an army of people with thousands of post jump to DE's defense with illogical and backwards thinking because they are so invested and just blind to the issues of this game, it's like a cult, really odd.

Ah yes, insult the people who you're trying to get on your side. It's a novel strategy, so let's see how it works out for you.

We aren't blind to the issues. We're just aware of the problems that potential solutions bring, because over the course of the past 5 years, every single thing you've said has already been suggested.

6 minutes ago, _Dan said:

I think you're kind of missing the point here, if it defaults to a person with the best connection; GREAT!!! that is the whole point, there won't be warping, doors not opening, or drop outs.. that would mean the person with the best connection is the host. The issue here, (as I have said multiple times already) is people with BAD connections being the host to public games.

The game already checks for the best host when it's creating the session. Every single issue you mention would still occur with your proposal. The only difference would be that some people would have the option to make the experience more consistently bad for themselves.

I'd recommend researching the average costs of sustaining large amounts of dedicated servers, especially for games with a large playerbase, also you'd need to split this across 4 platforms which are not crossplay available, which would need their own instances in order for each platform to have the same level of effectiveness. This would require a large number of servers in order to support the playerbase as well as to be large enough to support growth of the playerbase.

On top of that, once you draft up the initial startup costs for the needed servers (which would require extensive research for how much stress the servers would need to handle) you then need to budget for the installation and maintenance of these servers, which is no small financial burden. Following this, you would need to convert the game itself from a P2P system to a server based one, which would take R&D and coding time to make sure that the end result is not a broken mess, it also costs money to pay employees who work on this.

Following the change you would also have to ensure that the build of each version of the game (as in Warframe's case there would now be 4) and the servers are working, you would also have to invest in server security to prevent certain crowds from hacking or DDOSing the servers.

It also is worth noting that server maintenance would also cause large amounts of downtime needed for patching each separate platform and are commonly subject to server lag issues from large amounts of logins from users and can also suffer from ping issues based upon player to server connection, which for many high ping players, wouldn't solve much of the problem.

The simple fact is that converting a game from a P2P system to a server system isn't something you can flick a switch and suddenly do, nor is it not exorbitantly costly and occasionally intrusive to development of features. While I do agree that dedicated servers can solve several issues like locked doors and migration issues, it isn't something that can be done without extensive knowledge, finance and planning on any developers part.

1 hour ago, LupisV0lk said:

Well sorry bucko but that's the truth. Dedicated servers are frigging expensive. There are times when even AAA games struggle to cover their costs.

thats untrue. no triple a game is suffering from their costs if the game isnt dead. 

34 minutes ago, Corvid said:

Except there's nothing stopping everyone from switching the option on. At which point you are effectively back where you started.

no you arent, because the game doesnt give the dude with best connection the host. if that was the case i wouldnt keep having hosts that use landline with my fiber connection.

OP, as much as i wish it to happen it never will. i have given up on that at this point. it would be more than enough if they at least used a proper netcode for me and even that looks impossible. 

On 2019-01-01 at 12:22 PM, Aldain said:

Snip

I'm very aware it won't be a simple flicking of a switch, I just yeah, I'm personally sick of losing hours of my weekend doing a bounty to lose it all at the last second, it's happened more times than I can count, I guess I should just accept it and not make suggestions on ways to fix it?.. Is that what I should do?... I realize this is a free game, but I have spent hundreds of pounds on it at this point, and I'm just really sick of these issues. I would love to just be the damn host at the very least as I have a gigabit connection going to waste at the mercy of some guy downloading or whatever he's doing.

On 2019-01-01 at 12:31 PM, Zeclem said:

thats untrue. no triple a game is suffering from their costs if the game isnt dead. 

no you arent, because the game doesnt give the dude with best connection the host. if that was the case i wouldnt keep having hosts that use landline with my fiber connection.

OP, as much as i wish it to happen it never will. i have given up on that at this point. it would be more than enough if they at least used a proper netcode for me and even that looks impossible. 

that's a shame, well it's not gonna stop me whining about it on here as much as possible. haha

4 minutes ago, Zeclem said:

You do realise that a connection goes both ways, right? If the roles were reversed, they would have just as bad a time. And it's possible that other players have a better connection to them than they would to you, which swings the odds of hosting in their favour.

3 minutes ago, Corvid said:

You do realise that a connection goes both ways, right? If the roles were reversed, they would have just as bad a time. And it's possible that other players have a better connection to them than they would to you, which swings the odds of hosting in their favour.

so people would have better connection to ones with crappy internet than i do? and i know its crappy internet, because i keep getting host way too often when im playing in my house which has a very crappy connection. 

1 minute ago, _Dan said:

I would love to just be the damn host at the very least as I have a gigabit connection going to waste at the mercy of some guy downloading or whatever he's doing.

I hate to say this and I know you're going to hate me for saying this...but have you ever considered forming teams in advance through friends/clanmates and invites? I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you are in an friends/invite only team whoever sends the invitations will be the host, though I could be wrong on that. If I'm not though, it could serve as a short-term solution for the time being. I'm also not making this suggestion to tell you to not complain, trust me, I've lost a lot progress from connection issues myself, I'm only suggesting this in an attempt to help in some small way.