Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Haven't you guys made enough money at this point to have dedicated servers?

_Dan

On 2019-01-07 at 6:29 PM, Kevyne_Kicklighter said:

It's NOT for free. Someone has to pay for it.

In the context of my post I was saying that the content was free for players to experience on release, monetary purchases have not been required to play new warframe content. I'm not discounting what it costs DE to do any of these things. And on that note I do think OP has grossly oversimplified the cost/effort of implementing and maintaining dedicated servers, nevermind the fact that they won't magically fix everything and could create new issues to add to the existing ones.

Just now, Beartornado said:

In the context of my post I was saying that the content was free for players to experience on release, monetary purchases have not been required to play new warframe content. I'm not discounting what it costs DE to do any of these things. And on that note I do think OP has grossly oversimplified the cost/effort of implementing and maintaining dedicated servers, nevermind the fact that they won't magically fix everything and could create new issues to add to the existing ones.

"Free to play" is false advertising. It's not actually "free to play". Ingame currency isn't like gold in WoW (game generated), plat in WF is player bought. Just like the WoW token is -- any in the game cost $20 each and paid for by someone.

Like folks get upset about "leechers" in WF, people get upset that people don't pay to keep the game solvent. Worse, seeing people WHINE about not getting things faster, too. That's called "entitlement" and "I do what I want, F U!" mentalities. It attracts the worst making overall gaming toxic, too.

13 minutes ago, Kevyne_Kicklighter said:

"Free to play" is false advertising. It's not actually "free to play". Ingame currency isn't like gold in WoW (game generated), plat in WF is player bought. Just like the WoW token is -- any in the game cost $20 each and paid for by someone.

Like folks get upset about "leechers" in WF, people get upset that people don't pay to keep the game solvent. Worse, seeing people WHINE about not getting things faster, too. That's called "entitlement" and "I do what I want, F U!" mentalities. It attracts the worst making overall gaming toxic, too.

I'm well aware that Free to Play is not free. My statement only concerns the isolated relationship between any individual and the product that is Warframe, and the lack of a payment which is required from any individual who wants to play Warframe.

53 minutes ago, Beartornado said:

I'm well aware that Free to Play is not free. My statement only concerns the isolated relationship between any individual and the product that is Warframe, and the lack of a payment which is required from any individual who wants to play Warframe.

Because of the genre promotes the FTP model a "free". It's not, and thus, false advertising.

Want a frame and/or weapon to fit all those kewl mods? Need "potatoes", which is HOW and WHEN a new player learns they need platinum to BUY that "potatoes" to add 30 more points to fit more mods in. Then he will learn he needs to get Forma so he can not only fit mods in empty, he has to fill them with mods that are FULLY maxed out.

Each so every frame and every weapon you want to keep and use, that's 40 plat AND at least 3 Forma EACH.

FTP is no way FTP!!!

1 hour ago, Kevyne_Kicklighter said:

Because of the genre promotes the FTP model a "free". It's not, and thus, false advertising.

Want a frame and/or weapon to fit all those kewl mods? Need "potatoes", which is HOW and WHEN a new player learns they need platinum to BUY that "potatoes" to add 30 more points to fit more mods in. Then he will learn he needs to get Forma so he can not only fit mods in empty, he has to fill them with mods that are FULLY maxed out.

Each so every frame and every weapon you want to keep and use, that's 40 plat AND at least 3 Forma EACH.

FTP is no way FTP!!!

Ummm, reactors, catalyst, and forma certainly are free. I've only bought a couple to gift to friends (MR26 currently with a surplus of bps). It's slots that are the rude awakening for new players...it's still free to try though, don't see the falsehood...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kevyne_Kicklighter said:

You're talking about min maxing. If you're just starting the game you aren't:

-Going to have enough mods or ranks in those mods to justify a reactor/forma

-Going to acquire and level up weapons/frames fast enough to need those upgrades on demand

-Going to need to min-max your build to roll face for the first 80% of content in the game

Even by the time they get to the point they want those things you can farm for prime parts and trade those for plat if you haven't already stockpiled some reactors/catalysts from event alerts. Formas are easily farmed from relics.

It's also unlikely that a new player will start hoarding items around say midgame because they'll need inventory space and it will be very difficult to make progress in the solar system with new gear that isn't leveled/modded. So they'll want to invest everything into a single loadout or at least a single frame and switch weapons as needed while they push through the increasingly difficult content to progress.

And by the time they get to a place remotely close to endgame they still don't have to spend their own money. They can trade Rivens, Primes or even Sydnicate mods/weapons for plat from other players. They wont' like every weapon they try so they'll slowly expand their inventory as they try to sell weapons they don't like after maxing them out, inventory isn't expensive enough to be impossible to farm plat for.

And all of this is still irrelevant to the fact that you aren't locked out of content. You aren't prevented from playing Fortuna, or PoE, or doing all the major story quests by a paywall. Every weapon and frame can be acquired and leveled up without using any plat, it's just inconvenient. But you are not paying to play, the game is FREE TO PLAY.

2 hours ago, Kevyne_Kicklighter said:

FTP is no way FTP!!!

And on a final note, the model "Free to play" is literally described on Wikipedia as "Free to start playing." At no point has that term ever been taken literally since the conception of the genre. Everybody knows that a cash shop or some other means of making a profit will be involved when you hear "Free to play." But as far as how they implement that model, Warframe is easily a beacon of quality in an industry of mediocrity. Stop this nonsensical tirade.

Edited by Beartornado

the way it chooses who the host is, could definitly be better. but in the meantime, to remedy some problems, try lowering the ping limit on who you group with in the settings. it will try to not match you with people over that ping.

Edited by jnuh

8 hours ago, seprent said:

i think this thread needs psychiatric help 

starting to look like the shivering isles in here 

Lol.

Nah - just a lot of folks that have zero understanding about running a business.

Funny thing is, they're smart enough to find a company's financial statements, but don't have a clue what the numbers actually mean. :laugh:

Edited by FlusteredFerret

8 hours ago, Ezikeo said:

I would be happy to pay a sub if there were dedicated servers.

8 hours ago, eurotransient said:

Would you like to pay my sub as well?

Mine as well, please. Understand, I've spent quite a bit of money on warframe already. I did that because I enjoy the game, not because I "have to" or because I'm thinking that it will help me to win. 

If I think that something is going to give me some huge advantage over players who aren't paying, then yeah I probably won't want that in the game. Because let's face it, when we get to the point of this becoming a competition of who can spend the most money to have the best time, we all lose. 

51 minutes ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Lol.

Nah - just a lot of folks that have zero understanding about running a business.

Funny thing is, they're smart enough to find a company's financial statements, but don't have a clue what the numbers actually mean. :laugh:

Or why one company's financial statements don't have much to do with a totally different company, incorporated on a different continent, on the opposite side of the globe. 

But hey, minor details like that shouldn't stop them from giving their "opinions", and certainly doesn't mean that anyone should disabuse them of their misconceptions. After all they've been told that their opinions matter and they should be allowed to say their piece, right? 

People are so silly sometimes. 

• Like 1

well they kinda implemented system that gives u back u won so far beforu u get DCd but it does not work for me all the time but i liked it i dont have many DCs but i do mastly rage quit if it happend and i cant get back in the squad or i lose stuff (mostly prime stuff)

22 hours ago, (XB1)Thy Divinity said:

ESO has optional sub with servers and their connection is far worse.

>implying warframe actually has a connection to compare with. and eso only has problems in one spot sometimes as far as connection is concerned so i dont really see how its worse. 

Edited by Zeclem

3 hours ago, Zeclem said:

>implying warframe actually has a connection to compare with. and eso only has problems in one spot sometimes as far as connection is concerned so i dont really see how its worse. 

It's definitely more than one spot.  The connection is horrific in PvP,  trials, even just travelling to wayshrines in the same region can cause extreme load screens.  Ever been to a major city like Elden Root?  Good luck not getting disconnected from the game anywhere near prime time.  Lag is rampant in ESO.

This game comes nowhere near the connectivity issues of that mess.

Edited by (XB1)Thy Divinity

17 minutes ago, (XB1)Thy Divinity said:

It's definitely more than one spot.  The connection is horrific in PvP,  trials, even just travelling to wayshrines in the same region can cause extreme load screens.  Ever been to a major city like Elden Root?  Good luck not getting disconnected from the game anywhere near prime time.  Lag is rampant in ESO.

This game comes nowhere near the connectivity issues of that mess.

i never had anybody in my guilds or myself have issues outside of vivec and thats only sometimes when its extremely crowded. 

6 minutes ago, Zeclem said:

i never had anybody in my guilds or myself have issues outside of vivec and thats only sometimes when its extremely crowded. 

You don't have to take my word for it.  A quick look on their forums, Reddit, even the unspeakable abomination known as YouTube has literally dozens (if not many more) of video evidence on that title's server instability.  

I'd know, I spent 4 years there before I threw my hands up.

Edited by (XB1)Thy Divinity

1 hour ago, (XB1)Thy Divinity said:

Good luck not getting disconnected from the game anywhere near prime time.  Lag is rampant in ESO.

I think the Host was watching Prime time so the connection to the host were lag. If you know how the connection in Warframe works, you won't even say 'Server' in there. Because it's all Host and that is why most of the Topic about Lag were about Host and not Server.

28 minutes ago, NocheLuz said:

I think the Host was watching Prime time so the connection to the host were lag. If you know how the connection in Warframe works, you won't even say 'Server' in there. Because it's all Host and that is why most of the Topic about Lag were about Host and not Server.

We were discussing Elder Scrolls Online

28 minutes ago, (XB1)Thy Divinity said:

We were discussing Elder Scrolls Online

Oh, sorry, I was think you were meaning Elite Sanctuary Onslaught, Since you were mentioning Prime Time, and I'm already assume you mean the streaming one (the Warframe's Prime Time streaming) not the 'Prime Time' kind of meaning lol.

On 2018-12-31 at 9:18 PM, _Dan said:

So is Prime access.

Sorry but that's just not an excuse for that I will accept at this point, I too, have a soft spot for DE, but this isn't the 'little struggling dev team' anymore, this p2p host system is hugely unstable, inconsistent, and outdated. its destroying the game experience for many people, they need to change it, simple as that.

I agree honestly, at the very least they need to make a way for me to opt out of hosting, I'm stuck with DSL so that doesnt go to well lol!