Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Haven't you guys made enough money at this point to have dedicated servers?

_Dan

1 hour ago, [DE]Drew said:

There is an option to increase or decrease your Matchmaking Ping Limit under OPTIONS>GAMEPLAY

That would be a great option if it actually worked properly ALL the time....

Like many others I've joined in public groups where the ping is at or below what I have set it to when there is nothing happening but as soon as some action happens the ping shoots up to over 1000ms (I've seen 2500ms pings.... seriously there's less delay communicating with ISS) and we get lag because the host can't cope with the everything that is going on. 

Not to mention if you set it too low you can find a lot of empty missions (edit) and have no one join you even with fast fibre internet with low pings etc.(/edit)

Maybe you can get the dev's to look at sorting out matchmaking/host selection mechanics so that setting our pings is actually a viable option to get a decent host/group....or maybe stop toasters from being selected full stop, either by a toggle or built in code which restricts underpowered machines from being selected.

Edited by LSG501
  • Like 2

vor 49 Minuten schrieb Voltage:

Doesn't this only apply to the "Warning: XXX Ping Detected" message? I feel like I still get placed in 700+ms ping missions while my limit is 150.

Because it's also laggy if the host has a bad pc.

1 hour ago, [DE]Drew said:

There is an option to increase or decrease your Matchmaking Ping Limit under OPTIONS>GAMEPLAY 

(Apologies if this was mentioned already)

Concerning dedicated servers, they are not something we are planning at this time for regular matchmaking.

I have always found that one useful, though some players find it doesn't seem to quite work for them. I have often wondered in that case if its more that they are too fast or too slow for their pary mates communication not so much the internet communications. Either way, I am sure it would be great to see more options in this later and for one, like that Warframe doesn't require dedicated servers at all times.

17 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

Not to mention if you set it too low you can find a lot of empty missions.

This is clearly what you want if you set the ping low. There are no satisfactory squads so you get your own going.

19 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

built in code which restricts underpowered machines from being selected

Explain how they would do this.

vor einer Stunde schrieb [DE]Drew:

Concerning dedicated servers, they are not something we are planning at this time for regular matchmaking.

Then reconsider please. This is desired by many people. You guys spent a lot of money on advertising, so why shy away from something that greatly benefits the game's stability and reliability?

19 minutes ago, German said:

Then reconsider please. This is desired by many people. You guys spent a lot of money on advertising, so why shy away from something that greatly benefits the game's stability and reliability?

The people in this thread have provided ZERO solid evidence why DE should invest into that avenue.   Every single piece of evidence is either "I think" or "I believe".      So...as a DE employee, if the people in this thread have giving nothing but complaints and unfounded accusations...I'm surprised we at least got this much from them.    Hell, even your post is a "I know better how to  run a game company so listen to me" logic.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

This is clearly what you want if you set the ping low. There are no satisfactory squads so you get your own going.

Explain how they would do this.

FIrst part.. you can host and not get anyone join too (probably should have made that clearer, I'll edit), it's really weird how the matchmaking works in this game in all honesty hence why I said at the bottom about having it looked at/improved. 

Second part, with windows programs can access the specs of the pc (the same way a program like cpu-z does), by using a list of 'approved hardware configurations' DE could restrict what is used as host (obviously it's a little more technical than that).  From what I've read (can't seem to find it again though) they seemed to be doing something similar with the installer to prevent certain hardware configurations from installing the game already so it shouldn't be too hard of a thing to integrate if that is the case. 

Now this won't stop high pings due to distance but it will stop the situation where we enter with acceptable pings and then it increases when something happens due to the host being a toaster. 

Edited by LSG501

42 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

Second part, with windows programs can access the specs of the pc (the same way a program like cpu-z does), by using a list of 'approved hardware configurations' DE could restrict what is used as host

This could not be done by fiat. There would have to be something that explicitly explained what Warframe was doing and the opportunity to opt-in, not opt-out. This would drive many away and generate a not insignificant amount of bad press.

45 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

From what I've read (can't seem to find it again though) they seemed to be doing something similar with the installer to prevent certain hardware configurations from installing the game already so it shouldn't be too hard of a thing to integrate if that is the case.

I can put in or take out any number of items from my computer. This would not fix anything and be an absurd overreach.

2 hours ago, peterc3 said:

This could not be done by fiat. There would have to be something that explicitly explained what Warframe was doing and the opportunity to opt-in, not opt-out. This would drive many away and generate a not insignificant amount of bad press. 

I can put in or take out any number of items from my computer. This would not fix anything and be an absurd overreach.

I'd be quite concerned if Fiat were doing pc software....it would also seem you're assuming this is at loading the game, it wouldn't be, it would be at 'host selection'.  No body would be prevented from playing, it would just be used to pick the 'best option' for a host.  If a pc isn't up to being a host it really shouldn't be being used to be host, I very much doubt those with toasters would complain about not being host, considering the likely 'complaints' they get when they are.

As to your second part, if you want to get overly complicated you could assign points to each pc part and need a certain value in key areas, having said that the cpu and ram, and in some cases the network (although I did say this wouldn't cure that area) are the main things that are causing the lag I mentioned earlier where it starts off ok, then increases when something goes on.  

Also like I said, I've seen stuff saying this type of system is already in use with the game (although can't find it again annoyingly) so its anything but an absurd overreach, some of my software has restrictions which disables some stuff if I don't have a particular gpu (a 'professional' nvidia quadro) even though the geforce I have can do it just fine (you just need to hack a few bits of registry)...

Edited by LSG501
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

I'd be quite concerned if Fiat were doing pc software..

fiat
[ˈfiːat, ˈfʌɪat]
NOUN
fiats (plural noun)
  1. a formal authorization or proposition; a decree.
    "the reforms left most prices fixed by government fiat"
    • an arbitrary order.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Corvid said:
fiat
[ˈfiːat, ˈfʌɪat]

NOUN
fiats (plural noun)
  1. a formal authorization or proposition; a decree.
    "the reforms left most prices fixed by government fiat"
    • an arbitrary order.

Can't exactly say that's a term I've heard or used in normal conversation....oh wait after further google info it seems it's more common in dictatorships which isn't exactly common in my part of the world, no matter how much some might want it to be, so would explain why it's so uncommon.

Edited by LSG501

7 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

Can't exactly say that's a term I've heard or used in normal conversation....oh wait after further google info it seems it's more common in dictatorships which isn't exactly common in my part of the world, no matter how much some might want it to be, so would explain why it's so uncommon.

It's also used in literary circles to describe contrivance. No wonder it's unfamiliar to you.

5 hours ago, trst said:

Do you understand how the forums or feedback works? This isn't even in the correct sub forum if your intent was to create feedback.

But most importantly this thread does not contain any feedback. The overwhelming majority of these nine pages are people making complaints about connection quality, making surface comparisons of Warframe's connection quality to other games, attacking people and making assumptions about their "internet credentials", and people assuming DE's financial status.

Honestly I'm more surprised the forum mods allowed this thread to go on for this long.

^^ This.

Forums are like "happy hour" at the neighborhood bar. You go there to talk shop after work.

It also serves as a news board ... like if the servers are down.

Using it as a "protest" medium, considering not many post or read the forum otherwise is a fool's errand (a forum is doing well if 1 in 10 stays to post [it's what forum admins learn about them], why it has to be constantly "seeded" to LOOK active). It's not Twitter or Facebook, where one button informs the world instantly. It's a bar and what goes on there only your neighbors and co-workers know deal.

If you want to "protest" and "recruit" better get on Twitter or Facebook, as stump speaking on a game forum rarely gets any "attention". It's a sidenote in any news article even (NOW do you understand WHY devs are on Twitter???).

47 minutes ago, Corvid said:

It's also used in literary circles to describe contrivance. No wonder it's unfamiliar to you.

Oh clearly you must be in the literary circle, they always seem to come across as such informed and condescending people....sadly I only get to deal with engineers and designers on a regular basis outside in the real world, although I'm sure someone as well informed as yourself would know every term used in that field of work.

The funny thing is I have actually heard and used many of the synonyms for 'fiat' because they're far more commonly used in normal conversation.

Edited by LSG501
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LSG501 said:

I've seen stuff saying this type of system is already in use with the game

Making sure you meet the minimum specs to even run the game is a far cry from having your system scanned every time you start a mission.

54 minutes ago, Corvid said:

My monitor just burst into flames.

1 hour ago, peterc3 said:

Making sure you meet the minimum specs to even run the game is a far cry from having your system scanned every time you start a mission.

But you don't even need to scan the system, it's literally in the windows registry and is accessible to any program that requests that information.  

Even if a scan was required (it's not) there's nothing stopping a 'file' being added at game load or even just the first time it's run, unless it detects a hardware change. 

You might think it's excessive, it's not in all honesty, but the simple fact is that the current methods being used to select host are inadequate while we still have minimum specs which are not strong enough to host the game.  The approach above is a 'quick' way of solving the issue without excluding people from actually playing the game, the people with toasters can still play the game (no idea why they do, it can't be fun playing at under 30fps...) but they will just be prevented from being the host, which in all honesty is probably a good thing for all.   Admittedly it should maybe be limited to public or have a fall back to existing code for non public groups as there is always the potential that a group of 4 toasters may get together in a private session. 

Edited by LSG501

6 hours ago, [DE]Drew said:

(Apologies if this was mentioned already)

Thanks a lot for the post. Yes, I know about that matchmaking ping limit. It doesn't seem to eradicate poor hosts though and warping/doors not opening etc, or the worst of all (Lost connection to host' which makes you lose all of your resources/rewards... Making playing this game like Russian roulette with your free time..

Is DE planning on fixing this problem? (players losing progress and buggy host migration)..

There is also the 'Always host' button, would that be a possibility for you guys to add that?..Maybe you could give it to people whos mission completion rate is higher than 95%?! 

Edited by _Dan

6 hours ago, [DE]Drew said:

I don't care that much about dedicated servers for regular missions, but can you do something about host migrations, especially in endurance runs?

Talking about arbitrations here, just had another failed one 35 minutes into the game. Luckily, it was only endo/ayatan so I'm not going to create a ticket. But you get the point.

57 minutes ago, _Dan said:

Maybe you could give it to people whos mission completion rate is higher than 95%?! 

lol well that's a pretty arbitrary requirement considering completion rate doesn't only come down to connectivity... My completion rate, for example, is 89%.  Most of that loss is from times I accidentally forget to turn off Solo/Public and start a mission in the wrong one... forcing me to quit.. and spies, which I used to be really bad at and fail alot.  The very idea is a punishment to less skilled players. 

Also think of the hillarious circumstances.  Host is an MR0, pretty rough internet, but managed to pass all missions in tutorial, 100% completion rate... you 100s of hours in game, a couple fails under your belt leaving you at 94%, but god tier internet - not allowed to host because the MR0 has better completion rate than you.  Then you still experience the same problems as before, under a device of your own making.      

I'm not against some sort of solution to helping the issues, by the way - I'm just pointing out this is a seriously bad non-solution.  

Edited by (PS4)lagrue

25 minutes ago, (PS4)lagrue said:

lol well that's a pretty arbitrary requirement considering completion rate doesn't only come down to connectivity... My completion rate, for example, is 89%.  Most of that loss is from times I accidentally forget to turn off Solo/Public and start a mission in the wrong one... forcing me to quit.. and spies, which I used to be really bad at and fail alot.  The very idea is a punishment to less skilled players. 

Also think of the hillarious circumstances.  Host is an MR0, pretty rough internet, but managed to pass all missions in tutorial, 100% completion rate... you 100s of hours in game, a couple fails under your belt leaving you at 94%, but god tier internet - not allowed to host because the MR0 has better completion rate than you.  Then you still experience the same problems as before, under a device of your own making.      

I'm not against some sort of solution to helping the issues, by the way - I'm just pointing out this is a seriously bad non-solution.  

Totally valid points. yeah I didn't really think that through. lol

On 2018-12-31 at 9:12 PM, PoisonHD said:

Honestly, dedicated servers are just really expensive, the costs to run them grow with your playerbase as well. So even if they're making more money then ever before, they also have more players then ever before..

Personally, it's not an issue for me most of the time, but I know it is for a lot of people.

This game is BBB but it's like a AAA game, first access (49, 79 and 139 USD) are very expensive this game need a lot of job, and one of that job is not hear all from the community

Why do you want to buy some cosmetic things if all can have it ?, that do not worth if the Platinum is tradeable. LOL Can be different if that is a hard Quest and is untradeable for selling.

The other thing i read is the people selling platinum... come on warframe... how.

Edited by bastianpp

The game is printing 150 000 000$ since 2016 and this year unoficially it is reported that the game made more than 200 000 000$, still tho wait for the official and public reports by Leyou.
They have the money to develop Witcher 3 MULTIPPLE times (which costed 85 000 000$ including trailers and promotions) but they wont tho anything like that.
AT LEAST they can give us Dark Secotr 2  : )

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, (PS4)Cargan2016 said:

you want to know why its quite simple 

and if you figure in to this basic math they provided here that on ps4 alone yesterday there was 69 insances of fortuna alone during the stream or around about then.

Nice find there.

I pulled some stats from Steam that showed there have been consistently around 60,000 concurrent Warframe players, online over the last 4 years, with a few spikes up to over 100k. Thats just the Steam players...

So that really helps put those server cost figures into context.

Not only that, but they would have to re-write the P2P section of code that tells the game to assign hosts when making squads. I only have limited programming experience myself, from my college and uni days, but I don't imagine that would be a quick or easy task either.

Edited by FlusteredFerret

9 minutes ago, Fugana said:

The game is printing 150 000 000$ since 2016 and this year unoficially it is reported that the game made more than 200 000 000$, still tho wait for the official and public reports by Leyou.
They have the money to develop Witcher 3 MULTIPPLE times (which costed 85 000 000$ including trailers and promotions) but they wont tho anything like that.
AT LEAST they can give us Dark Secotr 2  : )

Link to source please, or I call BS...

Also, if you're quoting Leyou's figures, instead of Digital Extremes, then you are going to be WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY off base...

Edited by FlusteredFerret