Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Haven't you guys made enough money at this point to have dedicated servers?

_Dan

Just now, BlaQQQ said:

I've lost War blueprint that war 😞

800 hours into the game and I got it only once, for about 3 minutes, before it was torn away from me. Oh, the humanity!

I haven't even get the war bp, not even despair or hate, just dread all the time

DE isnt exactly some small time Dev group anymore.

It cost the price of a complete new game each time they release a Prime pack, which is absurd.  That's 60 dollars USD right there.  10 for a pack of 170 plat.  A very good friend of mine owns practically everything this game offers and has said before on multiple occasions as to how absurdly expensive it has been.  I'd believe him.  I mean, look at the cost of even getting something aesthetic like armor.  Or a syndana?  Or even a paint set.

DE has the money to pull off servers. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, (XB1)xJdKxZomBiE said:

It cost the price of a complete new game each time they release a Prime pack, which is absurd.  That's 60 dollars USD right there.  10 for a pack of 170 plat.  A very good friend of mine owns practically everything this game offers and has said before on multiple occasions as to how absurdly expensive it has been.  I'd believe him.  I mean, look at the cost of even getting something aesthetic like armor.  Or a syndana?  Or even a paint set.

Do you have DE's financial reports? Do you know how many people buy those packs?

Have you put time into researching the various costs associated with reworking and migrating the game to work on servers, to say nothing of the server costs themselves?

No? Then I recommend you find all of this out before making definitive statements.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, (XB1)xJdKxZomBiE said:

But how much of the player base actually buys them...and more importantly, how many regularly buy Prime Access accounts & large amounts of platinum?

Any business relies on steady revenue streams. Of course all purchases help to some degree, but for any kind of forward planning, they need to know their minimum guaranteed revenue for any quarter / year / whatever.

The amount of players who do this is probably a LOT smaller than you think.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, (XB1)xJdKxZomBiE said:

Not some small time dev group anymore?

You mean like how Destiny uses P2P, and that is made by Bungie, right? Close to 750 employees? Previous owner was, some small time company called Microsoft? So they ditched those losers and moved over to a deal with Activision? And still find a place for the P2P instead of dedicated servers? 

Yeah, I'm just going to sit here and wonder if you know what you're talking about when it comes to how much money servers cost. 

21 minutes ago, _Dan said:

This has been on the front page for close to a week now, DE really doesn't give 2 S#&$s about this do they lol

I think this topic have come up in their meeting a lots of time...

But it's would be postpone/rejected everytime, I think? It would take a lots of research and a lots of times to just compare those options. Also, if they really want to implemented it, it would still take a lots of time and work/re-work until it finish. I would say if they really want to implemented dedicated server they would needed atleast 3 years to roll out the beta into main server... lol...

29 minutes ago, _Dan said:

This has been on the front page for close to a week now, DE really doesn't give 2 S#&$s about this do they lol

1: They're on holiday.

2: DE reads the Feedback Forums, not General Discussion.

3: What makes you so certain they haven't been discussing the matter?

7 minutes ago, (XB1)Cubic Clem said:

According to this thread every company using dedicated servers is bankrupt or will be in a year 😂 

This makes no sense..

I haven't read a single post making that claim, so I don't know what thread you've been reading.

All anyone is saying is that running dedicated servers isn't a decision to be made lightly, for a game that was originally designed for P2P.

Lots of games that do have them were designed that way from the start and therefore it was part of the original business model.

Also, while having dedicated servers would solve the host migration issue, it by no means guarantees improved playing experiences for everyone.

On 2018-12-31 at 11:12 PM, PoisonHD said:

Honestly, dedicated servers are just really expensive, the costs to run them grow with your playerbase as well. So even if they're making more money then ever before, they also have more players then ever before..

Personally, it's not an issue for me most of the time, but I know it is for a lot of people.

Game companies dont generally own the servers. They have moved to renting space on some one else's servers. You have a login server they own, but then you're ported to a rented server. I dont know if DE does this but they may want to consider it if they dont. And servers arent that hard or expensive to set up. I have a media server in my house. Put an ad in the local neighborhood web page that I recycle old computers and equipment, put the best parts together and tada... media server. Had I actually bought the parts. it would have run me about $600. I could put a game server together for less than $5k.

Point is, I dont think it's the server. I think it's either ISP or code. But whichever it is, it's fixable.

Edit: ISP includes YOUR ISP. Code also includes you messing with the PING settings in the game settings.

Edited by ThumpumGood
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThumpumGood said:

Game companies dont generally own the servers. They have moved to renting space on some one else's servers. You have a login server they own, but then you're ported to a rented server. I dont know if DE does this but they may want to consider it if they dont. And servers arent that hard or expensive to set up. I have a media server in my house. Put an ad in the local neighborhood web page that I recycle old computers and equipment, put the best parts together and tada... media server. Had I actually bought the parts. it would have run me about $600. I could put a game server together for less than $5k.

Point is, I dont think it's the server. I think it's either ISP or code. But whichever it is, it's fixable.

Edit: ISP includes YOUR ISP. Code also includes you messing with the PING settings in the game settings.

One that could serve a worldwide player base of hundreds of thousands...without excessive ping, packet loss, or other problems?

I, for one, would be very interested to see this. In fact I'm sure pretty much every developer out there will be clamouring for your services. You should go into business...you could make a fortune.

Then again, maybe not if you can do it that cheaply...

Edited by FlusteredFerret

15 minutes ago, (XB1)Cubic Clem said:

Dead by daylight is getting servers, and was built on P2P.. how does that work then.. (not to mention the P2P system there is also horrible..)

First mistake: Dead By Daylight isn't F2P. 

Secondly: just because one studio decides to do this, doesn't mean every other is in a position to make the change.

Not saying DE aren't. What I am saying is that all these people just assuming they are rolling in money need to do a bit more research.

I did and worked out DE are lucky if they have 100k players running Prime Access accounts / making regular significant plat & other purchases.

Based on what I've learned about other F2P games, developers are lucky if 10% of the player base run paid accounts. They're basically the ones that enable everyone else to play for free.

1 hour ago, FlusteredFerret said:

But how much of the player base actually buys them...and more importantly, how many regularly buy Prime Access accounts & large amounts of platinum?

Any business relies on steady revenue streams. Of course all purchases help to some degree, but for any kind of forward planning, they need to know their minimum guaranteed revenue for any quarter / year / whatever.

The amount of players who do this is probably a LOT smaller than you think.

Considering they’ve kept 250+ people employed over the last five years, I think it’s a LOT bigger than you think.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, (PS4)Mono-Pop said:

Considering they’ve kept 250+ people employed over the last five years, I think it’s a LOT bigger than you think.

So what?

Are you suggesting that they lay off employees to fund the transition? Because that's the only way this is relevant.

33 minutes ago, (PS4)Mono-Pop said:

Oh look, another one that's got something that should be easily verifiable. 

Please provide proof of your claim that DE has had 250+ employees for over 5 years. 

Also please consider the fact that employees tend to be "paid" with "money" which tends to have a way of decreasing the amount of extra money that you have just laying around, (something often referred to as "profit"). 

Of course, if you can't provide that proof then please consider taking a moment to ensure that you actually know what you are talking about, the next time you feel certain that you know what you are talking about. 

18 hours ago, (PS4)Mono-Pop said:

17 hours ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Oh look, another one that's got something that should be easily verifiable. 

Please provide proof of your claim that DE has had 250+ employees for over 5 years. 

Also please consider the fact that employees tend to be "paid" with "money" which tends to have a way of decreasing the amount of extra money that you have just laying around, (something often referred to as "profit"). 

Of course, if you can't provide that proof then please consider taking a moment to ensure that you actually know what you are talking about, the next time you feel certain that you know what you are talking about. 

Take a few minutes to read this...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-22-dont-be-surprised-that-just-2-2-per-cent-of-f2p-players-spend-money

It basically explains F2P titles are designed with the assumption most players will spend no, or very little money.

So while they can be viable insofar as they can still be profitable for a studio, it won't give them the kind of money to throw around that triple A titles would.

Which has basically been the basis of my argument the whole time.

World of Tanks is one of, if not THE, most profitable F2P game and it only has an average player expenditure of around $4.50.

Now consider that Warframe is considerably less successful than WoT.

Edited by FlusteredFerret

to people who keep asking for de's financials, you can go check leyou's financial reports and make an educated assumption considering warframe is their flagship product. games that make far less have dedicated servers. 

@FlusteredFerret, warframe is one of the top selling titles in steam rn, and its not a rare thing for f2p games to actually compete with several paid games in profit, so that argument doesnt really hold any water. de makes more than enough. 

and to people who show destiny as an example, do remember that destiny doesnt use p2p everywhere, and the p2p in their game has a far more efficient netcode and server support to prevent host migration problems from happening. pure p2p is a dead concept. 

tbh theres really no point in arguing this, and im frankly tired of people continuously deny industry realities. i'd say this thread needs to be closed really. sorry OP.

Edited by Zeclem
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Zeclem said:

warframe doesnt exactly make content thats worth a whole new game every year. 

And? This isn't COD or FIFA. Despite its content droughts Warframe has effectively become a new game several times over in the 5 years since its initial release. All for free along the way. Yearly would be breakneck even for a AAA dev charging for every expansion.

pve isnt balanced in this game at all tho, much less than balance of overwatch's pvp. if that was the case we wouldnt have frames like saryn, inaros or mesa

I'm not sure someone who thinks Inaros is an indication of poor PvE balance has any business telling me I have no idea what I'm talking about.

and riven system? are you serious or joking? the amount of times that riven dispositions got changed are less than years they were on the game, and none of those changes were anything noteworthy. after that comparison its clear that you dont have much of an idea about what you are talking about. have a good day. 

What is this handwaving garbage? None of the changes were noteworthy and I'm still the one who has no idea what I'm talking about? I might as well just tell you that none of the P2P issues are noteworthy since so many players replying to this thread play the game just fine as is.

Edited by Beartornado
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Zeclem said:

its not a "golden example". any triple a franchise that doesnt do yearly releases of the same title has studio sizes around those numbers, and warframe doesnt exactly make content thats worth a whole new game every year. 

pve isnt balanced in this game at all tho, much less than balance of overwatch's pvp. if that was the case we wouldnt have frames like saryn, inaros or mesa. and riven system? are you serious or joking? the amount of times that riven dispositions got changed are less than years they were on the game, and none of those changes were anything noteworthy. after that comparison its clear that you dont have much of an idea about what you are talking about. have a good day. 

Dude you’re talking about balance in a PVE game. “It’s clear that you don’t have much of an idea about what you are talking about.”

What is balanced PVE?

Does every frame need to deal = damage?

Every frame needs = eHP?

No dude, all that’s required of PVE is that it’s fun.