Chat Suspension Ruin Warframe

May_Kitsune

To be honest never thought I would make this topic as I never really found myself the type to get chat suspended. First like me clarify things.
1. The sentence I said was in region chat, "Does anyone else thinks Nezha would be a good trap?"
2. I understand the usage of the word "trap" is highly controversal, some take is positive, some take it badly, some base it on context.
but my purpose for this post isnt to discuss ethics of what is, and what isn't considered offensive to people. It's to discuss the system.

WIth that out of the way, onto discussing the flaws in the system of censorship in Warframe.
The first thing that should be mentioned is  What is or Isn't acceptable in Region Chat. It important to note, that you can get away with saying these things anywhere else, which causes a issue.
It develops a facade of sorts, of what you say is fine to say anywhere, until you use it in Region Chat resulting in chat suspension. Even if DE hada page of the does and dont's of Region Chat many suspensions would be easily avoided. Though its important to ask the question of why chat suspension in its current state is bad. See even though chat suspension occurs in Region Chat Only, every form of chat is banned.  This means whispers, party, recruiting, all that that stripped away from the player, because of a players mistake, which might of falsly belived to be okay to say in the least personal of chats Region Chat. Warframe being a cooperative game, relies heavily on communication which is stripped away, some players progress in the game is also halted, as trading is no longer simplified with whispers, and now third party methods must be used which are extremly rare and basically non exisitent. So now because of something that a player possibly thought was safe being said in a chat, that speeds over a sentance a second, the main core aspects of Warframes enjoyable experience are ruined. However with all these variables, and possible false suspensions surely support can help. However you would be wrong, they can't help. See that chat suspension is done by a bot, (side rant, if this bot look for keywords, we can easily have a list of what you can't say). As someone who doesnt find the term Trap offesnive I dug into why what I said was a problem, I learned about Nezha origins and inspriations as a frame taken from Chinese Folklore, I wrote a ticket explaining, why what I said was disrespectful, my unawareness to why, a formal apology, why I thought it would be ok, etc. However after waiting some time I got a ticket response, the kind person was able to tell me, the bot who issues suspension is not something DE will directly involve themselves with, meaning bot suspensions arne't reverseable. They mentioned the bot would say the time of the ban lift, however this is not true. The bot simply repeats the sentance that gets you suspended.

TL;DR: Chat Suspension removes core mechanics essential to many players experiences, the automonous nature of the bot can lead to false suspensions in which, player may have belived to be okay to say otherwise.

I've seen people using this word a lot recently, is it a new craze or have I just been out of the internet loop? I've known its existed for a long time but I rarely saw people use it unless they were specifically attempting to be offensive / derogatory, but now it seems like a keyword.

Edited by flightlessfox

10 minutes ago, flightlessfox said:

I've seen people using this word a lot recently, is it a new craze or have I just been out of the internet loop? I've known its existed for a long time but I rarely saw people use it unless they were specifically attempting to be offensive / derogatory, but now it seems like a keyword.

An increasing number of people use the word casually in a non-derogatory intent; internet cultures evolve pretty quickly when simply changing chat channels lets us selectively filter our cultural values and contexts.

Of course plenty of other people still interpret it as offensive.

Too bad an automatic kickbot can't tell the difference. Can't blame it I guess, if the humans can't get it straight themselves.

Edited by (PS4)haphazardlynamed

I recently saw somebody get banned for recommending a new Nezha player be careful avoiding grinneer arc....mines (you know what they're called ingame).

I'm not going to say that the suspensions may not be deserved at times, but if giving advice to players is hampered by an automatic system because of a few...let's call them clemwads being jerks, then I feel it creates a bad precedent if it isn't reviewed with an even hand. 

Yeah, I can definitely understand the frustration in that case, when that person was trying to explain something. 

I'm in the camp that finds it offensive though, so if you're using it as a meme I understand the kick. If you're banned from region chat though, nothing is stopping you from saying the same stuff elsewhere, even to your squadmates, so I also understand it being everywhere. It should be reviewed in cases like Aldain mentioned though, for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flightlessfox said:

Yeah, I can definitely understand the frustration in that case, when that person was trying to explain something. 

I'm in the camp that finds it offensive though, so if you're using it as a meme I understand the kick. If you're banned from region chat though, nothing is stopping you from saying the same stuff elsewhere, even to your squadmates, so I also understand it being everywhere. It should be reviewed in cases like Aldain mentioned though, for sure.

The whole point my post wasnt to talk about what people find offesneive and what they dont, its understandble such a system is in place after all keeping everyone happy is a good way to avoid a toxic community. However I'm saying the system is flawed in the since it doesnt let you know chat ban times, and how what the bot my find a problem, isnt noted anywhere so "be respectful" is up to very loose interpertation. It a system that needs to be in place but should be improved is what im getting at. Becuase yes like Aldain said, that stuff happens alot.

Mhm, and I agree with the transparency, although I don't agree be respectful is loose interpretation. 

I don't really use region chat, it goes too fast for me and I don't generally see much I can join in with regardless. Certain bans could be looked at but not every one, that'd be massive manpower. 

4 minutes ago, flightlessfox said:

I don't agree be respectful is loose interpretation

Its not that "be respectful" is a loose definition, its more the issue of where respectful ends can be loosely defined at times.

Every person has different feelings and responses to different circumstances, while some of these can be pretty universal such as "Don't spam profanity" it can be difficult to draw a line at what is more...blurry and individual issues rather than more broad and obvious problems. For example, I am an INSANELY dense and detached person so not much offends me in terms of simple words, I am an exception and not the rule, the same goes for some of the more...odd complaints that can arise (I've seen some people are VIOLENTLY opposed to all memes for example, even harmless if over repeated ones like steamed hams).

It all comes down to how things are handled, some need to be "No contest" levels of bans, while others should be reviewed and used to dial back any overly restrictive problems. Transparency is a must in these situations as you've stated and I will always agree on that much.

• Like 1