A new year, same thoughts as the last one (ideas on improving aspects of the game)

Noobunaga

Warning: long wall of text

First and foremost, I love the game, I've played it for over 1700 hours and if the Sentinels don't come and destroy DE I'll play it for a few more thousand, but here are some ideas I've had running in my head that might be of some use for the game:

• Distribution Infrastructure

This is an easy one, since the distribution infrastructure is already built-in the game. Warframe could make better use of it by showcasing the weekly/monthly/yearly rankings, Conclave and Lunaro scores etc in more accessible places like the Codex in the Orbiter (this will make information such as this easier to access and increase the interest players will have in competitive gameplay). Likewise, the Codex could be adapted to also showcase fan-created content like videos, articles or art about warframes, builds, mechanics, farming locations, fashionframe etc.

The lore of the game has also expanded a lot and it wouldn't hurt to create something that mirrors this, such as Grineer propaganda podcasts, Corpus daily industrial indexes, perhaps renegade radio stations (like how Free Europe Radio was heard in Eastern European during the Communist era) etc that can be heard from the Orbiter Scanner, or even make more lore entries in the Codex that don't require grind to unlock, or maybe rework the lore exposure in the Codex so it's no longer as farm-locked. Basically you could bring the Warframe Wiki inside the game in some way or another. (no more kubrow dying from neglect without knowing, no more buying only one kavat imprint because you didn't know you needed 2 of the same kavat to get a perfectly similar kavat yourself etc)

Keep in mind that this is to make the game more and more appealing to newer players or players that are about to leave the game out of boredom or frustration, so the changes won't affect long-lasting players in any meaningful way beside giving them more of what they like already (player retention done right).

Also, add all lore content you create as a development team inside the game too, like the visual novels, or any writings you'll make about it, even if it's behind a grind-wall, it'll make the immersion all the better

PS: Make it so we can name our Tenno whatever we want, kinda like how we can name our companions. It won't just make it better for players who don't want to see xxJOHNNYALPHAxx and their tenno is some sort of spaceloli but it would also make sense game-wise, since the Tenno would mentally be kids and would have usernames when using their warframes instead of their real names.

• Ingame Commerce

This one might be a bit harder to implement than the first, but creating a sort of auction house inside the game would go a long way in making the game feel more streamlined and less burdensome with the trading being limited to trade-chat or through third-party user-created solutions.

Also, there should be a redesign of the Marketplace interface in the game. Get rid of the dropdown menu, turn it into static tabs and make the items in the game show the blueprint and requirement costs before the platinum ones, otherwise new players, that have no real clue what is going on, might feel that the game is pay-to-play/win, given how "everything costs premium currency". It's a small psychological trick that would go a long way in assisting new players.

• Social Gaming

Last year I've touched on the topic of Clan Dojos needing more options and I feel that what DE has done with them is good enough as it stands as of now, but I still believe that making an Alliance-locked Relay might be a good idea. As in having the option of building a relay solely accessible by the Alliance members, with special vendors, special cosmetics, special rewards from competitive activities (high scores in different missions against other alliances) etc

• Player Retention

I've already touched this subject somewhat through the Distribution Infrastructure point, but it could be improved further upon through other aspects that the game already has, such as the obvious fashionframe element inside it, so you should use it more to keep new players from leaving and wanting to grind more, level up faster etc I'm not talking about premium quality cosmetics like deluxe skins, no. I'm talking about MR-locked rewards that aren't too flashy, but just enough to be nice to have (kinda like the weapon rewards from daily tributes), or maybe rewards you get from completing scans on different faction enemies or elements, earning you cosmetics inspired by those factions, which would have tidbits of lore in their descriptions (think of Dead Souls, Dark Souls etc) or rewards tailor by the first-time choices we make in the lore quests. Basically if you remove or remake parts of the grind in the game, for example making lore more accessible without so much scan-grind, you could move it over to other aspects of the game, such as cosmetic rewards that don't affect the game economy, in a way making the game more enjoyable (or by the standards of others, more addictive) to the people that are playing it.

• Grinding and RNG

The current system feels too RNG-locked (the Orb heists for example, or the Kuva survival missions, or ESO or whatever) and has too many grindwalls behind it. I've been playing since the times where Void Defense was endgame and even though it implemented RNG to the reward pool, you'd get the reward and that's it, you didn't have to make sure you've finished grinding a few extra grindwalls before receiving the reward. At least, if there are so many grindwalls involved, make the rewards actually feel compelling to grind for.

And that about sums up what I had to say. I'll be back in a year from now on too, maybe with more ideas, maybe with less (if some things get changed for the better). Regardless, the game is fun and has constant potential, so thank you DE for all the hard work and the awesome time we've all had being space ninjas. Have a great year and happy hunting!

Edited by Noobunaga

- Why would anyone care about meaningless scores? Seriously, any encouragement for a competitive (toxic) environment in a cooperative game is just plain bad. Also, for the other stuff, that's stuff that should be outside of the game and stay outside the game. We're here to play, not watch XxXWFRoxXxX. Watching is for Youtube.
- Auction houses are a terrible idea, period.
- Alliances are dead, locking content behind them is stupid.
- Ok, that there is a nice idea. I doubt DE will ever implement it, cause they'd rather sell you the skins, but still a good idea.
- Maybe my English is failing me, but, did you suggest anything or just complain that there's too many grindwalls?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

- Why would anyone care about meaningless scores? Seriously, any encouragement for a competitive (toxic) environment in a cooperative game is just plain bad. Also, for the other stuff, that's stuff that should be outside of the game and stay outside the game. We're here to play, not watch XxXWFRoxXxX. Watching is for Youtube.

PvP is inherently "toxic", since it's competitive. If they don't want to make use of this aspect of the game, then they should just delete it and be done with it. If however they want to somewhat capitalize on the PvP aspect they themselves introduced into the game, those are some ideas I've had that might make it more appealing for people that want to PvP to try Conclave or Lunaro out.

There is potential for Warframe PvP seeing as how things like Unreal Tournament, Overwatch, the now defunct LawBreakes etc can be appealing to many people.

- Auction houses are a terrible idea, period.

Auction House is a name they can use for the player-based economy they have, meaning they can use whatever other name they want (Interstellar Exchange Market, Space Ninja Ultra Secret Trading Post etc), something to streamline the trading aspect of the game instead of letting others do the work for them and make the hassle bigger (think of warframe.market built into the Marketplace as a separate tab from the current ingame market)

- Alliances are dead, locking content behind them is stupid.

So instead of letting that aspect of the game rot away, they can just do what they usually do for other parts of ingame content and apply it to the Alliance system. This can go towards Alliance-specific raids or whatnot as a long-term extension and having the Alliance-specific relay can be a short to medium-term investment of player focus (they already lock content behind walls so locking more content behind other grindwalls is something perfectly in tune with the looter-shooter ideology that DE works with for Warframe)

Maybe my English is failing me, but, did you suggest anything or just complain that there's too many grindwalls?

There are too many grindwalls, yes. Grindwalls that need to be reworked. Either make the grind less, or make the rewards more meaningful or at least more appealing for the players. The current iteration of the grindwalls have a negative impact on the game's playerbase, something you can see with the online-users spike when Fortuna hit and the almost immediate drop-off once they saw that Fortuna is just PoE 2.0 with worse RNG and less rewards

Edited by Noobunaga
  • Like 1

On 2019-01-01 at 8:19 AM, Noobunaga said:

Auction House is a name they can use for the player-based economy they have, meaning they can use whatever other name they want (Interstellar Exchange Market, Space Ninja Ultra Secret Trading Post etc), something to streamline the trading aspect of the game instead of letting others do the work for them and make the hassle bigger (think of warframe.market built into the Marketplace as a separate tab from the current ingame market)

Semantics will not make the idea more palatable. An AH with Plat is not in the cards. If people don't want to trade Plat anymore, then sure, an AH for worthless Credits is great.

There are too many grindwalls, yes. Grindwalls that need to be reworked. Either make the grind less, or make the rewards more meaningful or at least more appealing for the players. The current iteration of the grindwalls have a negative impact on the game's playerbase, something you can see with the online-users spike when Fortuna hit and the almost immediate drop-off once they saw that Fortuna is just PoE 2.0 with worse RNG and less rewards

Drop offs that always happen and yet the trend is up.

If they don't want to make use of this aspect of the game, then they should just delete it and be done with it.

Or they leave it as is, given it is low maintenance and the people that like it, like it.

While these topics are fair and do make sense.  There are way too many people who just like to argue on forums it’s truly a bad place to suggest ideas.

the grind is real on most of the game but there are a lot of people who like the grind. MMOs are almost always Grindy.  But generally the better the reward the more grinding should be required.  The longer you spend in these endless missions the higher quantity of credit/resource rewards per wave/time frame.  Basically every 5 minutes of survival or 5 waves of defence add like +30% credits/resources.  And every 20 waves/minutes switch to a higher tier reward pool. 

a market place is a great idea.  The main problem people will complain about is “I just spent 1,500 platinum on this riven a market board will wreck its price.  You better believe it will, and it does need to happen.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)M1ST3R_NUTS said:

While these topics are fair and do make sense.  There are way too many people who just like to argue on forums it’s truly a bad place to suggest ideas.

the grind is real on most of the game but there are a lot of people who like the grind. MMOs are almost always Grindy.  But generally the better the reward the more grinding should be required.  The longer you spend in these endless missions the higher quantity of credit/resource rewards per wave/time frame.  Basically every 5 minutes of survival or 5 waves of defence add like +30% credits/resources.  And every 20 waves/minutes switch to a higher tier reward pool. 

a market place is a great idea.  The main problem people will complain about is “I just spent 1,500 platinum on this riven a market board will wreck its price.  You better believe it will, and it does need to happen.

What people don’t want to wait for is that market places will lower cost of a lot of items fast.  But as stocks go down the prices will stabilize and be fair.  

On 2019-01-01 at 7:20 AM, Noobunaga said:

• Distribution Infrastructure

This is an easy one, since the distribution infrastructure is already built-in the game. Warframe could make better use of it by showcasing the weekly/monthly/yearly rankings, Conclave and Lunaro scores etc in more accessible places like the Codex in the Orbiter (this will make information such as this easier to access and increase the interest players will have in competitive gameplay). Likewise, the Codex could be adapted to also showcase fan-created content like videos, articles or art about warframes, builds, mechanics, farming locations, fashionframe etc.

WF is a MMO. Your Liset is personal space for you to have a quiet place to mod/build specs/check your dailies/mail, etc. It's not a replacement for social interaction, though. That scoreboard is for you to populate the areas where people go to/fro that instance. By being there, you "populate" a MMO to show others the game isn't "dead".

The devs HAVE to make you come out of your home (Liset) and guild hall (Dojo) and interact with others, otherwise you're not playing a MMO.

WoW went too far in WoD with the garrisons with putting too many city amenities inside it, where players would NOT leave their garrisons (same problem EQ2 had with guild halls). NEVER put too many eggs into one basket, as players won't leave their cocoons.