Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Just an idea but anyone feel like DE should add in a Tenno battle royal?

McBerns

1 minute ago, Tellakey said:

Oh, so a theory. I dunno about that. DE was never one to follow trends.

Not in their large-scale business model, I'll grant you that. But tons of their ideas have been inspired by trends. That garbage human-controlled Stalker mode was first shown off at the tail-end of those asymmetric PvP multiplayer games (i.e. when Evolve was dieing), Plains of Eidolon was put out to one-up the Destiny games, Frame Fighter comes out during the mega hype period for Smash Ultimate, so it's no surprise to me that Lunaro was a half-hearted attempt to skim some pennies off the top of Rocket League's wake

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

Not in their large-scale business model, I'll grant you that. But tons of their ideas have been inspired by trends. That garbage human-controlled Stalker mode was first shown off at the tail-end of those asymmetric PvP multiplayer games (i.e. when Evolve was dieing), Plains of Eidolon was put out to one-up the Destiny games, Frame Fighter comes out during the mega hype period for Smash Ultimate, so it's no surprise to me that Lunaro was a half-hearted attempt to skim some pennies off the top of Rocket League's wake

Now you'd have to show that all these other features were created directly as an attempt to ride on those past trends. It's not like all of those games you mentioned were the first to introduce such game elements. Also, Frame Fighter? It doesn't even generate DE any money. Why would they follow a trend if it proves unprofitable? PoE was in development long before it was introduced, meaning DE would have had to plan one-upping Destiny way before it was unofficially Warframe's competitor.

Is Railjack inspired by Sea of Thieves?

Edited by Tellakey

24 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

Also, Frame Fighter? It doesn't even generate DE any money. Why would they follow a trend if it proves unprofitable?

I didn't say it was developed as a cash grab. Well OK I accused Lunaro of being that because I like to insult Lunaro, but-

OK let me re-describe what I was trying to say. DE does things they think are fun, we all know that. And they have a bad habit of just copying things from other games they think are fun and trying to shoehorn those things into Warframe in half-baked game modes. "Check it out, we can do this too!"

28 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

It's not like all of those games you mentioned were the first to introduce such game elements.

But they were the ones turning all the heads. They were the hot news story. They were the games everyone was talking about. They were the games that even rich game publishers have heard of. So many people who don't work on games don't know that a game doesn't need to invent a concept, it just needs to make a big enough splash that the purse-string-holders hear about it.

Of course, DE doesn't have the mindset of a big game publisher forcing a studio to put out a WoW clone during the MMO boom 15 years ago (and thank God for that). DE think more like those Warhammer 40k fans who mod every game that even remotely resembles gunplay and sci-fi, and put Space Marines in it

That's Lunaro in a nutshell. A bunch of DE devs sitting around playing Rocket League after it comes out on X-bone in December, they think "hey, could we maybe put this in Warframe?" And then they actually do it, they put it in Warframe. But of course they get bored about fifteen nanoseconds after it actually launches because they're too busy playing (and this one I admit is just a random guess to make my point) No Man's Sky, laughing at its awfulness, and saying "we can do WAY better than this! Hey Steve! Do we still have that open-world map on the backburner?"

3 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

I like how OP hasn't even responded. This thread has survived 18 hours now solely on the back of people saying "no" over and over again.

And so, on that note... No.

Usually these people try to defend the battle royal idea once but i think it's obvious now that there is no reasonable defense for putting BR into warframe ever

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

I didn't say it was developed as a cash grab. Well OK I accused Lunaro of being that because I like to insult Lunaro, but-

OK let me re-describe what I was trying to say. DE does things they think are fun, we all know that. And they have a bad habit of just copying things from other games they think are fun and trying to shoehorn those things into Warframe in half-baked game modes. "Check it out, we can do this too!"

But they were the ones turning all the heads. They were the hot news story. They were the games everyone was talking about. They were the games that even rich game publishers have heard of. So many people who don't work on games don't know that a game doesn't need to invent a concept, it just needs to make a big enough splash that the purse-string-holders hear about it.

Of course, DE doesn't have the mindset of a big game publisher forcing a studio to put out a WoW clone during the MMO boom 15 years ago (and thank God for that). DE think more like those Warhammer 40k fans who mod every game that even remotely resembles gunplay and sci-fi, and put Space Marines in it

That's Lunaro in a nutshell. A bunch of DE devs sitting around playing Rocket League after it comes out on X-bone in December, they think "hey, could we maybe put this in Warframe?" And then they actually do it, they put it in Warframe. But of course they get bored about fifteen nanoseconds after it actually launches because they're too busy playing (and this one I admit is just a random guess to make my point) No Man's Sky, laughing at its awfulness, and saying "we can do WAY better than this! Hey Steve! Do we still have that open-world map on the backburner?"

Okay, this is better.

But again... you're just theorizing. I have no way of confirming nor denying this. What I do know is that DE veterans like Steve often mention how it's been a dream to implement certain game elements. You can find him sharing his excitement for Railjack as a long-dreamed-of feature that he wanted to create even before Warframe, if I remember correctly.

I'm sure DE has taken inspirations from other studios but to flatly call many of their additions to the game a generic copycat tactic in the interest of popularity is kinda meh considering how independent the studio has been since the inception of Warframe.

Edited by Tellakey

4 minutes ago, (XB1)The Neko Otaku said:

Usually these people try to defend the battle royal idea once but i think it's obvious now that there is no reasonable defense for putting BR into warframe ever

And yet these posts have come up for some time now and it doesn't look like they'll stop any time soon.  Is there some sort of forum for creating troll posts on this forum?

12 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

Okay, this is better.

But again... you're just theorizing. I have no way of confirming nor denying this. What I do know is that DE veterans like Steve often mention how it's been a dream to implement certain game elements. You can find him sharing his excitement for Railjack as a long-dreamed of feature that he wanted to create even before Warframe, if I remember correctly.

I'm sure DE has taken inspirations from other studios but to flatly call many of their additions to the game a generic copycat tactic in the interest of popularity is kinda meh considering how independent the studio has been since the inception of Warframe.

Railjack I have nothing bad to say about. The only thing I can think of it would be inspired by is Jedi Starfighter, which came out in 2002. Far more likely it's inspired by Archwing itself

Edited by TARINunit9

2 hours ago, Tellakey said:

Is Railjack inspired by Sea of Thieves?

1 hour ago, TARINunit9 said:

Railjack I have nothing bad to say about. The only thing I can think of it would be inspired by is Jedi Starfighter, which came out in 2002. Far more likely it's inspired by Archwing itself

While it's unlikely that it was the direct inspiration, the controllable capital ships mixed with space-fighter analogues and seamless boarding makes me think of Angels Fall First.

On the one hand, I see no point. On the other hand, Warframe already has all the systems in place to make a mode like this work, though probably not exactly the same. I mean, if The Division could have a pseudo Battle Royale mode for no reason in the form of Survival that basically nobody plays any more...

2 часа назад, Steel_Rook сказал:

On the one hand, I see no point. On the other hand, Warframe already has all the systems in place to make a mode like this work (What, where?), though probably not exactly the same. I mean, if The Division could have a pseudo Battle Royale mode for no reason in the form of Survival that basically nobody plays any more...

2 hours ago, PurrrningBoop said:

[ed note: Please post in post body rather than editing quotes so I have something to quote]

I wasn't arguing for or against the inclusion of Battle Royale in Warframe, merely postulating that the framework already exists. The typical structure of Battle Royale involves dropping a large number of players with limited or no gear into a large map, then tasking them with gearing up in real time while contriving some shared objective which would bring them into conflict with each other. The reason I brought up The Division is it managed to reuse its own existing RPG mechanics and crafting system in order to do all of the above. In Survival, people are dropped into an instanced version of the map without any of their gear or abilities, then tasked with scavenging for materials to craft clothing to resist the cold, items to replicate abilities, and weapons to fight the random NPCs milling about. A constant ticking timer and a double objective (get into the Dark Zone, extract from the Dark Zone) along with resources not respawning pushes people into an ever-narrowing opportunity space where they can either cooperate or compete.

Warframe already has a system of drops for weapons, weapon parts, Warframes and other items, as well as mods. The Simulacrum shows us that it's entirely possible to alter a player's gear loadout within the confines of an active-engagement area. It's possible, then, to design a large map with hidden "safe areas" where a Foundry, an Arsenal and a Mod Workstation can be found, to be used with resources scavenged from the outside environment to create tools of increasing power, with which to attack either other players or increasingly higher-level NPCs from whom gear of a higher level still can be found. As with the Division, putting a hard timer with a fixed extraction point and non-regenerating resources would have the obvious effect of forcing players towards the escape and into each other's way.

I wouldn't play a game mode like that and I'd wager not many others would, but it IS theoretically doable within Warframe. Whether there's any merit to actually doing it? Meh.