Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Magus Lockdown is probably the BEST Endgame reward I've ever used.

BL4CKN0ISE

I've been seeing a lot of people talking about how Magus Lockdown will get nerfed. This post is about why I don't think it will or at least why I don't think it should get nerfed. I'll compare to Exodia Contagion to make my point. 

Anyways, I was a huge fan and abuser of Exodia Contagion before it was nerfed. It was OP, but it actually wasn't that strong IMO. It was "OP" because it nuked when used with Wukong against enemies up to a certain level. That made it OP for that content. It was pure comedy and understandbly problematic for the game if you played in squads.

Unlike Exodia Contagion, Magus Lockdown is VERY powerful, but it only gets it's value once you start fighting higher level enemies. It's not OP, because you can't really abuse it in a way that ruins the fun for other players. It reminds me of Covert Lethality, except it actually requires more interesting synergies and is more fun to use IMO. Ash could kill enemies faster, but Magus Lockdown allows you to try more things out with various frames. 

DE, I just wanted to thank you for this arcane. It reminds me of the more recent frames because it encourages more synergies. I see it as a true endgame reward because of it's value when used at higher levels. Magus Lockdown probably means nothing to the vast majority of players, but it's huge for the endurance community and less cheesy than other methods of dealing with the highest level enemies. 

• Like 2

As the Damage Magus Lockdown deals is reduced by armor, I don't see any reason for a nerv.

Also it has a hard cap on how many Enemys can be effected by it.

Sure if your team runs 4cp then you can kill 8 Enemys over 8 seconds, but let's be realistic, all our non Operator Stuff can do way more than that in the same time.

In my opinion Magus Overload is much stronger than Lockdown, when fighting Corpus, as it applies it's damage to anything in 20m if you manage to hit multiple Moas that can be a lot of damage.

Player: "Hello, I over abuse XXXXX (replace with anything you want), because this is the new broken Item in the game that can synergise with damages multplier from certain frame.
But it's not that much powerfull, after all it's only a one shot with a game mechanic that require skill, aka transferance spamming...but using some smart synergies (aka take a nova and 60% become 120%)
So please DE, I just posted that to ask you not to nerf it."

DE: "Ho, thank you to remember us to nerf that, we almost forgot"...

First smart move 2019 /s
🤣

• Like 3

1 hour ago, N2h2 said:

Player: "Hello, I over abuse XXXXX (replace with anything you want), because this is the new broken Item in the game that can synergise with damages multplier from certain frame.
But it's not that much powerfull, after all it's only a one shot with a game mechanic that require skill, aka transferance spamming...but using some smart synergies (aka take a nova and 60% become 120%)

First smart move 2019 /s
🤣

yeah because de isnt aware of how people are actually using it /s

2 hours ago, N2h2 said:

First smart move 2019 /s
🤣

>take a nova and 60% becomes 120%

Boy I sure hope that doesnt get nerfed before us console peasants get to try it. Good lord that sounds busted lmao

I think the fact its on Operators gives it a better chance to not be nerfed.

After all, DE wants us to use Operators more given, y'know, the plot of the game. Giving them a powerful ability works for that. Plus, due to the damage typing, it's not actually as OP as it might seem on the surface - Puncture is best against armour and robotic health but is ineffective against Corpus shields. And it's neutral to Fossilised health.

And what do you know, Operators are already pretty good against Corpus on their own, but weak to Armoured targets like Grineer and Fossilised health infested such as Ancients with a particular weakness to Ancient healers since they can't deal with them quickly enough to render the other enemies vulnerable. So this Arcane seems more like it's evening the odds more than it is overpowered.

I have extremely mixed feelings about Magus Lockdown. On one hand, it is an interesting mechanic that fits well into Operator gameplay. 

On the other hand, I would have rather seen this incorporated into Focus itself. Adding such complex mechanics to Arcanes takes away from what Focus could do in the future.

That said, I may be too optimistic thinking we will get a Focus 2.5 let along a 3.0 anytime soon. A boy can dream. 

Just now, (PS4)teacup775 said:

um, yah. if they actually had a plot, peeps would have a reason to upgrade tenno via story line.

People have a reason. People still didn't.

Remember how many people were angry that a story quest about Operators was really difficult without Operator progression?

9 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

People have a reason. People still didn't.

Remember how many people were angry that a story quest about Operators was really difficult without Operator progression?

Right, but my attitude was you had to grind POE for a very long while before the operator was anything but mush. In order to do the story you had to have done the grind, but it had no narrative. By the time you get the story there is a giant wall of grind, which demotivated or pisses people off. And frankly a lot of them still had no idea that a tenno could become relatively monstrous.  A lot of people want to be space bots, not emo kids.

Edited by (PS4)teacup775

On 2019-01-01 at 7:47 PM, BL4CKN0ISE said:

This post is about why I don't think it will or at least why I don't think it should get nerfed

According to the wiki it's bugged and is only supposed to affect eight enemies per mine, so if that bug gets fixed it will likely be decried as a nerf

It's bizarre how randomly they seem to decide number scaling for some things. Everything about K-drives is a mess, and their response to this being pointed out was to add ANOTHER worthless damage mod. Pretty much every form of focus tree skill damage is horrible. the new kavat set produces a ~200dps field (I know it has other effects).

but here's an arcane that gives a free AOE stun on every void dash, and also does 60% of thing's health? I don't really want it nerfed exactly, but I feel like that effect WITHOUT damage sounds good enough that I'd want to use the arcane if I can ever trudge my way to it.

edit: and at the same tier as AOE stun 60% health damage is an arcane that lets you LOSE the ability to actually travel around with operator dashes, while taking one of your two slots, to heal yourself slightly. Lockdown sounds fantastic, but a lot of the other arcanes feel pretty misguided with there only being two slots. You can choose to take some of these combat operator gimmick arcanes, or the arcanes that would give you the base survivability you'd expect to need to actually function in combat. And it's also where they shoved the "solution" to all of the complaints of k-drives being too slow...? Like, what?

Edited by OvisCaedo

4 hours ago, OvisCaedo said:

and at the same tier as AOE stun 60% health damage is an arcane that lets you LOSE the ability to actually travel around with operator dashes, while taking one of your two slots, to heal yourself slightly. Lockdown sounds fantastic, but a lot of the other arcanes feel pretty misguided with there only being two slots.

Some of that is done on purpose. Choosing your equipment is an important part of the game, and if everything was good, you could never go wrong. That would make that choice a lot less interesting. Some guns/frames/focus abilities/arcanes have to be bad purely so they can be passed over in favor of better ones, thereby producing the satisfaction of making the right choice that we play the game for.

That said, I do agree that the numbers on a lot of stuff do seem pretty random and poorly thought out, though some of that I think is because the numbers aren't really the point of the thing in question. The k-drive damage mods are basically just fashion, you put them on not to use the k-drive to kill enemies but to get cool pyrotechnics when you do tricks. My 'favorite' example of this kind of design is Nova's 1, which deals ~200 damage to an enemy per particle. The point of that is obviously not to deal damage, rather it's to limit the usefulness of the damage reduction that ability also provides by making it gradually go down in the presence of enemies. A lot of equipment in WF has these kinds of fake stats and features that exist only to distract you from the real purpose of the item in question.