Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

K-Drive leveling tedious

Scarletwing

Any feel the same, or just me.

Its really felt tedious and boring to leveling K-drive.

It takes too long and drag down to make it fun for trying combinations with mods. Specially, when the fortuna part 2 came out with some new K-drive mods were introduced.

Also Trail Blazer isn't working. Which makes half the fun were gone.

• Like 1

K-Drive levelling is tedious.

I know I could just do laps around The Pearl but that just feels cheap and cheesy and harkens back to the days when players would just repeat five waves of Draco over and over, it's not gameplay.

I was stoked for K-Drives, saw a lot of potential, but use Archwing almost exclusively, which is a shame.

30 minutes ago, -_Highlander_- said:

We need an k-drive park

^This. 

Also, if I pull off a trick worth 3000 Affinity then grant me 3000 Affinity, not 1000, whose idea was that anyway?

• Like 3

In my opinion K-Drive's addition was a marketing gag to draw attention for 4tuna update. No more, no less. It is a side activity with 0 lore or meaning for the overall gameplay. Initially, I though K-Drives will be important in Heists, but they turned to be just another bullet point on the description list.
On top a missing purpose, it is filled with flaws on conceptional level: point cap at 3k. Why? Especially, if you can reach the cap in 10 seconds. Chaining tricks has no benefit. Wonky input registration - sometimes my charge jump or different trick input will fail. Rediculous conditions to lose points: a slight bump or a fall from the high of a standrd jump will negate collected points, as there is a short window after a completed trick where you can lose points. Grinds will randomly stop. Description on some mods is wrong, or mods not working at all. Different K-Drives parts have no stats.

It is undoubtful, there are people who enjoy K-Drives and this is fine. However, resources spent on K-Drives could go into fixing many other issues and improve general Warframe experience instead of creating a void side activity that pleases few people.

• Like 3

I tried leveling up a KDrive and trying to do that is way slower than leveling up a Warframe. I think the problem is the way we gain XP/Standing with Kdrives. When i try to do a Combo, i would get less than 1K a lot of the time but when i grind at The Pearl, i can reach 3K (The Pearl is still a good place to go for KDrives) and that’s from Grinding which is not fun. It seems like you only have to do one trick to get 3K the fastest instead of comboing different tricks.

• Like 1

I spent a good while practicing on the long pipe behind fortuna so I could consistently pull off 3000 point tricks in 1 pass. It requires the most effort if you have no mods but as you get them it becomes brainless. At MR 26 I max out my 27,000 standing in less than 15 minutes.

Since I max my standing every day there's no point in staying too long just to max out the board as I can just gain more levels the next day when I can grind more standing.

Currently I have all 3 boards maxed and I even forma'd my favorite one twice to fit all the mods. If I recall, it took about 2 days of full standing to max each board which doesn't seem so bad. 

Agreed. K-Drive leveling is tedious, and the most recent changes to trick scores has made the process less consistent as well. More broadly, the issue I take with K-Drive leveling is that the optimal way of leveling K-Drives is not the most fun way of using the K-Drive: what both players and the designers would normally want would be for players to level their K-Drive by roaming around the Vallis or Plains, popping tricks along the way, and therefore practice not only their ability to pull off trick combos and chain moves smoothly, but also to adapt rapidly to incoming terrain, and familiarize themselves with all of the open worlds, and how to make the most of them for trick scores. In practice, though, the optimal way of grinding is to pick some static location with an abusable rail surface, e.g. the Pearl, the Temple of Profit, or just the big pipe next to the Fortuna entrance, and try to reach 3000 trick scores at that same location repeatedly until one reaches the daily cap (or rank 30, but who exactly is going to level a K-Drive from 0 to 30 in one session?). It's not great, and it's putting a lot of players off of K-Drives when the vehicle's already slower and more restrictive than Archwing, despite having such awesome gameplay.

Not to go too much into specifics, but I think DE needs to rework trick scores, and so in a way that emphasizes roaming around, rather than staying in the same location. For example, if all tricks granted a flat score, but score multipliers could only be gained by touching the environmental consumables, which wouldn't respawn, the only way for the player to rack up big scores would be to keep on the move, going from place to place as older locations lose the ability to multiply the player's score. With this new optimal strategy set, Affinity and Standing gains should be readjusted so that players should be able to reach the Standing cap in, say, between ten minutes and a half-hour of roaming about the Vallis, and completing races.

the K-Drive should get passive affinity gain simply for covering distance, and tricks should be an additional gain on top of that. Players who love the trick system can do tricks all they want, players who don't mind the trick system as a diversion but don't want to spend hours grinding tricks can do that too, and players who want to use the K-Drive as movement and nothing else can do that as well.

Way back in the day I suggested that fast ground movement should have been implemented by a Section 8-like sprint overdrive, and I stand by it, but if we're going to have K-Drives around as an alternative because ninjas with skateboards we should probably make them unobtrusive unless you want them to be obtrusive.

Yes, levelling up K-Drives is mind-numbingly boring, I'd argue due to the development team missing the forest for the trees. They designed the K-Drive SO heavily around skateboarding/snowboarding tricks that they literally neglected nearly all of its other uses - travel being a big one. So of course players are going to go grind to grind in the one place where tricks are consistently repeatable, when progressing the thing through actual play is so slow and unreliable. Progression is grindy because progression is gated behind a niche use for K-Drives, regardless of the hype.

Just bite the bullet and let us gain K-Drive XP and Vent Kids standing just for distance covered with the thing already. Yeah, it's abusable if people want to drive in circles or cross the map aimlessly, but is that any better than grinding circles at the Pearl? At least XP for travelling means we can level up our K-Drives while actually using them in content, rather than having to put everything else on pause and go grind XP for them specifically. Imagine if weapons only ever gained XP when fired from an Aim Glide regardless of what you hit. K-Drive progression is that level of silly.

5 hours ago, Teridax68 said:

Not to go too much into specifics, but I think DE needs to rework trick scores, and so in a way that emphasizes roaming around, rather than staying in the same location.

Yet the fundamental issue with k-drive is it has no real value getting around (archwing or void dash covers big and small distances respectively) and worse no value to the game per se.

K drive is less obnoxious than archwing missions, but why or why was it wedged into this content?

From bounties to hunting, there isn’t a thing it does for the game. Unless ninjas are skate boarding from their parent’s house over to the ludoplex to play pong or pac man.

Edited by (PS4)teacup775

10 hours ago, (PS4)teacup775 said:

Yet the fundamental issue with k-drive is it has no real value getting around (archwing or void dash covers big and small distances respectively) and worse no value to the game per se.

I agree with this, and I think it's the single biggest issue with K-Drives right now, beyond their tedious leveling. As awesome as K-Drives feel to use, there is simply no practical use for them right now, since Archwing is strictly faster, offers more freedom of movement due to its flight, and also allows the player to use weapons and Archwing abilities, whereas K-Drives reduce the player's combat options down to whichever crappy combat mods the player chose to equip on the vehicle itself. Beyond just reworks to the way we level up K-Drives, I think there also needs to be a rework to K-Drives themselves, so that they get made significantly faster (and ideally faster in raw speed than Archwing), more maneuverable, and significantly less restrictive, ideally in a way that lets players use weapons and abilities while mounted. Until then, they will continue to be yet another gimmick that players will grind for Mastery in their spare time, then promptly forget.