Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Garuda rework/augment ideas

(PSN)Revak29

Ideally, some of these would be reworks, but knowing DE, they'll make an augment to band-aid any problems garuda has. Keep in mind this thread is intended for listing ideas and maybe discussing them. This thread is not about why all my suggestions suck, so please add on more ideas and give constructive criticism if any at all. These are my suggestions, nothing more, nothing less. 

Now here are some suggestions:

1. Blood Bank- this would change the blood orb's value into an extra health bar for garuda like rhino's iron skin, but continuously chargeable.  

• Please DE, add a status icon in the corner of the screen with the value for this one. I know there's a number on the orb but it makes things greatly easier when we can see this in plain view.
  • reasoning for this is that despite the dread mirror blocking fire, it only does this on one side, so it's more of a 25% damage reduction unless your back is against a wall and you refuse to be mobile. I'm pretty sure DE doesn't want to encourage sitting in the corner the whole match with your shield up but that's exactly what the shield does
  • my build has plenty of health and survives pretty well, but the dread mirror is extremely underwhelming for defensive capabilities. I understand dread mirror is made more for its offensive abilities and infinite scaling. You don't have to tell me. 
  • Ideally rework but I can also see this as an augment big time

2. Penance and prayer- This effectively switches the abilities of blood altar and bloodletting. Blood altar now grants energy instead of health. Bloodletting now grants health from energy. Blood altar now has a greenish aura around the victim to signify that it gives energy instead of health so allies do not get confused. 

• This new positioning of the abilities makes garuda somewhat more survivable. I know when I use bloodletting and blood altar in conjunction, I will sometimes take too much health away and an enemy one shots me. Granted this is more my fault than anything but I also thought this would just be kinda fun. Sue me. 
  •  Nothing else is really wrong with these abilities, this just makes them a little more user-friendly. 
  • Ideally augment

3. Threshold breaker- The instant kill threshold is raised to like 80% instead of 40%. I assume instead of a straight buff DE would make it scale with power strength and max it at 80% or something similar. 

• as it is dread mirror can only deal a significant amount of damage through charged attacks. At some point the attack is just overkill but there's no big groups of enemies around. You just keep on using it to recast the shield and it seems kinda like a waste of time. 
  • With this augment/rework, garuda's 4 could synergize with her 1, bc you can deal all the enemies around some damage over time with seeking talons, and you could start picking off individual enemies in that group with dread mirror by teleporting towards them and insta killing them one by one. 
  • Garuda has 2 aoe but both have drawbacks that can make them kinda hard to use without just turning garuda into a spam machine, but you would get some variety this way. 
  • A variation on this could be that the effect only works on enemies affected by a bleed proc, since each enemy afflicted currently has a symbol floating over their head that has no reason to exist. 
  • Ideally rework

4. Unsheathed talons- make it so the damage dealt to enemies during Dread mirror is taken from her talons as a very quick finisher. This deals damage before the Instant kill threshold activates so that it can deal more individual damage instead of wasting time only charging her ability.

• This ability needs to stay the same speed. Count the damage as a finisher and make it count towards the melee combo multiplier, but do not under any circumstances make it waste more time. That would defeat the purpose of this augment/rework. (pls say rework, DE)
  • To clarify, I mean her exhaulted talons. The ones with mods on them. Not whatever does that tiny bit of damage when you cast dread mirror currently. 
  • This would not create synergy as well as threshold breaker would but has a similar result. 
  • Ideally rework

5. Dread leech- Bloodletting increases the charge of dread mirror by 25% of its current charge

• garuda feels like she has no time to do anything. I don't feel like I can pull out my weapons because I have to charge dread mirror. If I stand still and try to shoot, it goes up very slowly compared to the recast. But her Dread Mirror isn't really charged fast enough either way to be that effective. It would be more effective to carpet bomb all the enemies with a staticor.
  • With this augment or rework, Garuda could charge her 1 quickly but more passively as well. 
  • It would create some synergy between her 1 and 3
  • probably an augment but no complaints from me if you made it a rework

First - chances that Garuda's abilities would be reworked in any meaningful way are really slim. Best we could hope for right now is creative augment mods.

1 - Hyperarmor blood shield that comes from % of enemy health and could be stacked is impossible as it would make Garuda unkillable. A long time ago Mag got an augment that gave her shield based on % of enemies shield on polarize - one cast at 60+ lvls enemies and she was almost unkillable, spam it few times and you can stay afk for rest of the mission.

Best case scenario is that augment mod for Blood mirror would give 50-80% damage reduction with absorbed damage going to the blood orb.

2 - Way too similar to Energy vampire of Trinity and restoring Health for Energy goes against Garuda's concept. Honestly I don't see how it would even work except for being budget Trinity wannabe.

3 - Instead static buff of threshold by ability strength I would like successful instant kills to rise threshold by 10% for each instakill for 10 seconds up to 90% Sort of combo stacking. Also when enemies marked by her ultimate the mark should glow brightly when enemy is under threshold, signaling that he could be instakilled by first ability

4 - I would prefer special melee mods for her talons that would allow to use blood orb value either as flat bonus for melee damage or give special attacks similar to arcanes for zaws.

5 - I don't understand what you mean.

Edited by Erl-King

I feel like people crying out for Garuda changes... don't really understand the frame.  If you're having trouble surviving with her as she is now, then the two factors are your own mistakes in gameplay, and the absolutely god-awfully broken damage scaling that needs fixed first.

1. Gardua's theme is murder, and we have enough unkillable warframes as it is.  Leave "blocking damage gives me a second health bar" to Nezha.  As to the barrier being underwhelming, how do you think glass cannon frames manage in Sorties?  It's because those players learned to use their maneuvers properly and position themselves.  Don't rely on the mirror as a means of tanking, use it as a means of cover AFTER reaching a suitable position to charge her 4, then go back to using your maneuvers to keep yourself alive.

2. They said when they announced Garuda that her theme is "a more methodical approach to gore."  AKA murder.  She's not attoning for anything, she's murdering stuff because murdering stuff is fun and blood is tasty.  Again, practice positioning, learn to use your maneuvers for survivability, and leave the religion to Harrow.

3. So... fire a few shots with Tiberon and then dive in for the instakill?  No.  40% instakill threshold is crazy as is, allowing it to go up to 80% would be game-breaking.

4. They need to be more clear about this, but Garuda's 4 is one of the reasons she's an incredible frame.  That bleed chance is not a chance to bleed every time you use the ability... it causes targets to suffer bleed procs from ALL SOURCES OF DAMAGE.  This means you cast it on a pack of enemies once, then for the duration, any time that target takes damage they have a 50% chance to suffer a bleed proc (or up to 100% with 200% power strength).  Nothing else needs to be added here.  Grab a Zarr with Gas damage, cast 4, shoot some cannonballs and watch as you blow away heavily-armored units in seconds.

5. Dread Mirror's explosive shot charges batS#&$ fast.  You don't even need to bother casting it most times, just use her 4 in conjunction with your weapons and refresh Dread Mirror every now and then while enemies power it up for you.  Then, however long you wanna spend charging it, it increases exponentially every second, going up by 50% of its current charge.  If you're patient with it, you can unleash a shot far more powerful than Nova's antimatter drop with little effort.

• Like 1

In the spirit of augment discussion, though, here's some ideas:

1) Cruel Mirror - dodge-rolling into enemies while Dread Mirror is active deals damage based on a percentage of the Dread Heart's stored damage, and gives Garuda a temporary armor bonus.
This would improve defense against attacks from the sides, and give Dread Mirror some additional damage utility, though obviously it could get a SMIDGE BROKEN the longer you have it up.

2) Hungering Altar - Blood Altar deals damage each second to enemies in its radius equal to 1% of their maximum health.
This would cause Blood Altar to do the same damage it does to its initial target, but to nearby enemies as well.  It doesn't seem like much, but bear in mind that when combined with your Seeking Talons you'll be heaping up lots of bleeds.

3) Blood Frenzy - Casting Bloodletting grants Garuda a temporary casting speed buff based on her missing health.
This would give additional function to her passive temporarily, and allow you to not only gain energy from health sacrifice, but also chain out a few more Seeking Talons, or even charge your Dread Heart faster (even though the 50% exponential charge rate is unaffected by mods.)

4) I cannot think of an augment for Seeking Talons that would not make them obscenely broken... At least, not at this time.
Seriously.  This ability is fantastic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GideonWilhelm said:

4. They need to be more clear about this, but Garuda's 4 is one of the reasons she's an incredible frame.  That bleed chance is not a chance to bleed every time you use the ability... it causes targets to suffer bleed procs from ALL SOURCES OF DAMAGE.  This means you cast it on a pack of enemies once, then for the duration, any time that target takes damage they have a 50% chance to suffer a bleed proc (or up to 100% with 200% power strength).  Nothing else needs to be added here.  Grab a Zarr with Gas damage, cast 4, shoot some cannonballs and watch as you blow away heavily-armored units in seconds.

5. Dread Mirror's explosive shot charges batS#&$ fast.  You don't even need to bother casting it most times, just use her 4 in conjunction with your weapons and refresh Dread Mirror every now and then while enemies power it up for you.  Then, however long you wanna spend charging it, it increases exponentially every second, going up by 50% of its current charge.  If you're patient with it, you can unleash a shot far more powerful than Nova's antimatter drop with little effort.

Not sure if you knew this yet but Seeking Talons can ignore walls which makes it a nice ability to use when you are using wall ignoring Weapons and a enemy is stuck in there and can help with Survival Runs if the enemies are next to a wall you are camping at. Highest damage i’ve seen from Dread Mirror was 1.1 Million during a Survival Run but even when she’s below it and she built plenty of energy with her 2+3, she can OHKO lvl 150 - 190+ enemies with Armor or not. Her Healing and Slash Procs works on Allies too btw so Elemental Enchancement Sorties, she can still work as Support for the Squad.

Edited by GPrime96

• 4 weeks later...

The only thing I want for Garuda, whom I use alot of, are for her seeking talons to get buffed.   I hardly use this ability.  It doesnt kill stuff,  and you only target the things in the giant targeter window and its very costly.   

#1 I want her 4 to be a radial 360 move so you dont have to aim it.  

#2 If your going to keep it at such high energy cost then boost the damage more so it freaking kills.  

#3 If your lower energy cost that would be fine to leave damage as is so we could spam it.  

I guess Bloodletting doesnt convert enough health to energy.  Maybe 60 to 75% energy?  Why I try to spam Talons I also have to spam bloodletting 2-3 times just to get back to full if that.  And by then blood altar is usually dropping or about to drop so you get into very bad positions.   

Blood alter could use slighter bigger base range or slightly more base healing per second??   

I love garuda but how I play her is just to murder everything with melee and use blood altars to heal up when necessary or to heal others.  Compared to Valkyr I am really missing a buff ability for herself and her squad.   She feels more like a Nekros,  just kill stuff and never use your abilities.  - not fun.   Would be cool if everyone who entered her blood altar range got a RoF increase (to gun or melee) because al the blood makes you go berzerk.  Or Bloodletting would boost your melee damage or something because she gets all hyped up on adrenaline.

-------------

My biggest problem with Garuda is her fashion frame however lol.   Her arm flaps being the same color as her interior outfit colors.  Her claws being the same color as her other trim pieces.  I want her he claws and flaps to be seperate from other things.  

I'd like for DE to decide whether they want her to be a melee frame or a caster frame, rather than the messy hybrid she is right now. Personally, I'd rather the former, considering her entire theme is eviscerating enemies with those claws of hers. If they want to keep her as a combo frame, take notes from Nidus on keeping her quick and competitive when playing with other frames.

1) Replace the single target jump she currently does with an ability capable of quickly dealing with large amounts of fodder-enemies, perhaps something akin to Excal's slash-dash where she teleports from enemy to enemy, dealing damage scaling off her melee weapon and applying the bleed mark on the survivors while stealing a portion of their health into a blood-pool.

2) Turn her 2 into a proper CC instead of a mediocre heal, perhaps have it constrain enemies to its AOE and prevent them from shooting while suffering minor debuffs to help Garuda kill them with her claws. And please fix the mess that is stuns interacting with enemy animations, having gunners walking off the altar is annoying to say the least.

3) Turn her 3 into a channeled defense, feeding stolen blood points into a shield that protects her from every direction.

4) As a proper ultimate, she releases all the blood points she's stolen as a damaging AOE.

If you want her as a pure caster, then something inspired by the Thaumaturgy skill tree from VtmB would be more fitting.