What happened to endless capture missions?

Brevi

I used to be able to play 1 capture mission for "hours" in solo. Capture the target and enemies would keep coming in droves non stop with the occasional pause in between. Now, after the capture there are no more enemies.

What happened to that? 

1 hour ago, (PS4)BattleCry1791 said:

There was a change...Chimera update IIRC.  To prevent exactly what you were doing.  

What I was doing was ranking my frames and weapons from 0 to 30 straight through. Is that taboo somehow?

22 minutes ago, Brevi said:

What I was doing was ranking my frames and weapons from 0 to 30 straight through. Is that taboo somehow?

Thing is that there are already missions for that: Survival, Defense, and Excavation, the only difference with those missions and what you were doing is that they have scaling enemy levels and an actual possible fail condition.

People were using it to farm for resources and focus, along with levels, and the problem that DE took with it is that it was a mission type that essentially had zero fail conditions, as enemies never leveled up it was hard to find a node that could actually kill a player if they camped a capture like what you were doing, and it was easily automatable, as people just made ability and movement macros and then left the game running for 3+ hours on a single node with an AoE frame.
DE doesn't want something so easy to automate that it essentially became an idle game that you check back on every few hours and get rewards for in terms of leveling, focus, or tons of resources.  They actually want you to interact with the missions and play the game.

Edited by Tsukinoki
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Chaemyerelis said:

No fun for u!

lol. No, I guess not. But I've pretty much dropped this game anyway... why waste time on a game that someone else dictates how I play. This is my first and last "free to play". Once in a while I'll check in tho.

12 minutes ago, Brevi said:

lol. No, I guess not. But I've pretty much dropped this game anyway... why waste time on a game that someone else dictates how I play. This is my first and last "free to play". Once in a while I'll check in tho.

Isn't that every game ever created?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raqiya said:

Isn't that every game ever created?

Maybe I phrased that wrong cuz I'm not sure I know what you mean. I have quite a few games on steam and elsewhere that the gameplay didn't change from the day I bought them. There may have been additional gameplay added in updates but the gameplay from release never changed. Then again, all of my games are single player offline... with the exception of Warframe.

This is the only game I've ever played where existing weapon and armor stats and gameplay has change from when I first started playing 2+ years ago. I always heard of nerfing but I never experienced it until Warframe. So the idea of a developer deciding I can't play a mission the way I used to is foreign to me.

Edited by Brevi

2 hours ago, Brevi said:

This is the only game I've ever played where existing weapon and armor stats and gameplay has change from when I first started playing 2+ years ago. I always heard of nerfing but I never experienced it until Warframe. So the idea of a developer deciding I can't play a mission the way I used to is foreign to me.

Then you never played a MMO or other persistently updated game that has lasted longer then they could have hopped for. With over 400 weapons and 30 unique frames and new ones always being made with new mods. Combos of such can be found that where never considered by the devs and be found too powerful to the planned progression and longevity of a players expected climb through content.

It's happened in long standing collectable card games as well. Unfair combos or broken old ruled cards are changed in future expansions or just outright banned from tournament play. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tsukinoki said:

Thing is that there are already missions for that: Survival, Defense, and Excavation, the only difference with those missions and what you were doing is that they have scaling enemy levels and an actual possible fail condition.

People were using it to farm for resources and focus, along with levels, and the problem that DE took with it is that it was a mission type that essentially had zero fail conditions, as enemies never leveled up it was hard to find a node that could actually kill a player if they camped a capture like what you were doing, and it was easily automatable, as people just made ability and movement macros and then left the game running for 3+ hours on a single node with an AoE frame.
DE doesn't want something so easy to automate that it essentially became an idle game that you check back on every few hours and get rewards for in terms of leveling, focus, or tons of resources.  They actually want you to interact with the missions and play the game.

The real problem is DE allowing the use of Macros as well as the PC payers always looking for loopholes to exploit  using said Macros

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brevi said:

Maybe I phrased that wrong cuz I'm not sure I know what you mean. I have quite a few games on steam and elsewhere that the gameplay didn't change from the day I bought them. There may have been additional gameplay added in updates but the gameplay from release never changed. Then again, all of my games are single player offline... with the exception of Warframe.

With games trending toward the Live Service model you will see more of this in the future.

With that said, you do have the ability to do something similar to what you've described with Fortuna where you can keep going to questgivers and getting the same rank of quests. That will typically soft cap the enemy lvl and when you complete the quests, just go back to the nearest questgiver or complete the challenge to spawn one in an outpost near you.

Quest givers can be found on the map near outposts, just outside Fortuna, or you can go back into town as well.

I would suggest completing a few, they going back into town just to fully save progress and wash, rinse, repeat.

I wouldn't say that's a perfect replacement for your old style, but it should serve well and Fortuna is pretty nifty imo. 

true story: i didn't even know the bleedout timer was a thing until i got distracted gathering reactant. I assumed it was something that had been there the whole time, but it seems it was a recent change to prevent endlessly slaughtering easy mobs for hours on end. 

ah well, we still have other modes where we can do that: Sabotage (provided Reactor doesn't go critical), MD, and Rescues (as long as Wardens aren't alerted).

I don't quite understand the point of playing an 1 hour capture mission. It feels like killing mobs for free?

Survival is a far better way to farm exp and rewards if you just want to keep killing mobs.

I mean, if you can't do one hour of scaling enemy, then just do 20 mins three times. Or get into a group for endless runs.

The total rewards of 3x20 mins is going to be far better than one 1 hr capture mission.

Edited by wtflag

8 minutes ago, wtflag said:

I don't quite understand the point of playing an 1 hour capture mission.

Isn't survival a far better way to farm exp and rewards if you just want to keep killing hoards?

I mean, if you can't do one hour of scaling enemy, then just do 20 mins three times. The total rewards of 3x20 mins is going to be far better than one 1 hr capture mission.

Clearly he's an idler