Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Frustrated

Sinewave21

Question

So I've been playing this game for about 2 weeks now and I can't seem to find a frame that works for me. I don't really like melee I'm more of a ranged aoe nuker but frames that use aoe or range in this game have 1or 2 good abilities and the rest aren't good. I'm debating gara or ivara but don't want to waste time on frames that don't fit my style. Any help is appreciated.

It's just one of those things that all players go through. When I started out in Warframe I mained Ember and wouldn't dare touch any other frame, now I just hop from frame to frame with no care in the world. Just keep trying warframes out and eventually, you'll find one. As they say, there is a Warframe for everyone.

• Like 1

Gara isn't very useful overall outside of melee riven dps cheesing and some light cc, Ivara is good but wouldn't call it a nuker unless you use a specific loadout for it with Navigator, it's mostly an invis and utility frame.

The one closest to that is Nova with Antimatter spam, high strength, high range build, you can use it with a normal Molecular build

Maybe Hydroid but wouldn't really call Barrages a nuke ability either as it's more of a status effect applier.

Maybe try a damage enhancing frame with a launcher weapon.

Some of how modding works in this game encourages a playstyle where one or two abilities are mostly if not exclusively used on a frame i.e. augments and builds created around using them.  What have you tried?  What made "the rest not good"?  Can you give us more about what you've enjoyed from the frames you've tried?  Gara's abilities are designed more for support than they are for nuking.  You could create a build for Ivara that concentrates on nuking with her ultimate however it would benefit less from her other skills which are mostly designed for utility, stealth, positioning, etc.

I would say 2 weeks in you probably don't have the mods to make the most of any frames strengths.  Its true that in the end you specialize builds to focus on a few of the abilities, but thats just the way it works.  Otherwise,all frames would be insanely OP.  

In terms of an aoe nuke frame, equinox, saryn, and mesa are probably your best bet.  These are frames that need a number of rare mods to utilize well, and are available later in the game (unless u buy them of course).  Early on, I would recommend Frost.  His 4th ability can be considered a "nuke".  Gara can nuke with her 4th as well.  I find Gara to be underrated, as she can do a whole lot once youre familiar with her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sinewave21 said:

I'm more of a ranged aoe nuker but frames that use aoe or range in this game have 1or 2 good abilities and the rest aren't good

I think that's something you're going to have to accept...most frames have 1 or 2 abilities that are good and the other 2 (or 3) are just not ever really used.

2 hours ago, Sinewave21 said:

I'm more of a ranged aoe nuker but frames that use aoe or range in this game have 1or 2 good abilities and the rest aren't good

Same as above, most frames have a specific setup with 1-2 abilities people build around.

However, if you want to caster-style-AoE-nuke, you can take a look at Saryn (ability 1-3-4), Garuda (ability 4-1), Gara built around shattering her 4, Volt (4), Day Equinox (4)

Note that most frames above require specific setup, for example Garuda needs to build damage on her mirror (1) so when you release the heart it can nuke entire rooms, or Day Equinox needs an external damage source to ramp up the Maim damage to nuke the rooms. The simpler ones are Saryn and Volt.

A softer AoE damage dealer would be Mag, but she excels more on support, especially when you have her augments.

I ❤️ Saryn miasma build but there are many other options, other than what's mentioned above (resonating) quake Banshee, Mesa and I'm sure some more are out there I'd suggest tasting. Also having a tanky frame plus a spin to win weapon like critterax or a crit zaw is enjoyable and I think with primed reach such a build can be considered aoe

9 hours ago, Arcainyx said:

Some of how modding works in this game encourages a playstyle where one or two abilities are mostly if not exclusively used on a frame i.e. augments and builds created around using them.  What have you tried?  What made "the rest not good"?  Can you give us more about what you've enjoyed from the frames you've tried?  Gara's abilities are designed more for support than they are for nuking.  You could create a build for Ivara that concentrates on nuking with her ultimate however it would benefit less from her other skills which are mostly designed for utility, stealth, positioninig, etc.

I realized that mods make a huge difference and the reason ive been not really liking most abilities is because ive spent most of my endo on weapons mods like serration, shred etc. Ive only just started upgrading mods like flow, continuity and duration/damage maybe that will help in the future.

3 hours ago, (PS4)teacup775 said:

Did you try Mag?

I do have mag because i bought the prime vault so i have her and nova. I never really got into mag maybe because i believed what people were saying that she's not a good frame but not sure now.

8 hours ago, Fiewel said:

If you look for the mage throwing a fireball, *bamm* everything dies at the horizon.. you wont find it here.

What abilities do you like?

i actually tried nezha last night and wasnt too let down. i like the hoola hoop thingy and her #4. Something though just felt like it was missing i duno. Ive seen equinox pop up a lot when i talk about this with other players. Maybe i should try her or hydroid.

35 minutes ago, Sinewave21 said:

I do have mag because i bought the prime vault so i have her and nova. I never really got into mag maybe because i believed what people were saying that she's not a good frame but not sure now.

I would recommend dragging her to hydron if you have access (or helene. same map and it grant orokin cells. you’ll be needing them). there you can learn just how devastating she can be.

Mag’s 3 and 2 are monsters.

i like this guide. you might find it useful

Edited by (PS4)teacup775

Hey there -- I've been playing for about the same amount of time as you, and noticed that nobody has recommended Octavia yet. I picked her up a few days ago and am loving it. She has a really unique style that I'm enjoying a lot. She is also quite difficult to farm the parts for, so if you are thinking of spending plat on a frame, she's a good choice. 

16 hours ago, Sinewave21 said:

frames that use aoe or range in this game have 1or 2 good abilities and the rest aren't good

I find myself using all 4 abilities rather frequently on e.g. Volt, Frost, Oberon, Mag, Saryn, Banshee, Nezha, Zephyr, Garuda, ...

Lotsa fun to be had with high-Range and / or Efficiency ability spam builds on lotsa Frames 😄

17 hours ago, Sinewave21 said:

So I've been playing this game for about 2 weeks now and I can't seem to find a frame that works for me. I don't really like melee I'm more of a ranged aoe nuker but frames that use aoe or range in this game have 1or 2 good abilities and the rest aren't good. I'm debating gara or ivara but don't want to waste time on frames that don't fit my style. Any help is appreciated.

Gara can do sick damage and nuke. Ivara is a stealthy frame. Sure with her 4th augment she has a bit of AOE but i wouldn't call her a nuke. That said, you probably want an Ivara anyways to trivialize spy missions.

Edit: The above video is just an example to show her nuking. I wouldnt really build her like that... but you get the idea.

Then you have the usual suspect - Saryn. She excels when enemy density is high but can be a bit lackluster and boring when the density is low. Same thing can be said about Volt (armor is a problem for him though but high density corpus gets shredded.)
Other frames to check out might be Equinox, Mesa, Banshee, Oberon and to some extent Frost....

Do some youtube searches and see what their gameplay is and decide what you think will be most fun for you.

Edited by wakestarr

Thanks for all the help guys i appreciate it. After messing around with a few frames ive decided to stick with Volt for a while. I like his abilities and play style (not to mention her skins are cool too).

Edited by Sinewave21

On 2019-01-03 at 10:55 AM, Fiewel said:

If you look for the mage throwing a fireball, *bamm* everything dies at the horizon.. you wont find it here.

What abilities do you like?

Haha, maybe not in a specific frame... but you basically just described an arca plasmor shotgun 😉 it pairs beautifully with Inaros’s 1 - when you aren’t after health that is. Mod for range and duration, stun lock an entire assault squad in one move, then wipe them out with the plasmor in a few shots! Fun stuff! Great for Plains fights... but it does lack a little satisfaction after a while.

As for the OP’s question - what frames have you played with so far? There are a lot of great nuke abilities out there, but Warframe is a game that excels at movement, many missions require it, so If your plan is to hang back on the star map with a heavy hitter, you’ll most likely get over whelmed. A good defensive squad can hold a point for quite while, but the game actively pushes you to keep moving with timers, rewards, secondary objectives, etc... Melee is the easy answer in this case because - especially when you’re just starting out - melee (Any) the is strongest weapon you have! 

Also, volt is an amazing frame, but you have to keep moving! Build yourself a rhino if you want an early frame with more power and survivability. With mods Volt is actually one of the best frames in the game, but you’re a ways off from that point. Also worth mentioning - Volt doesn’t exactly work at all with your desired play style 😉 still an awesome frame though - why hang back and nuke everything when you can just flash past everyone! Great team support, very powerful, needs a little work for better survivability but you’ll get there 🙂 

7 hours ago, Sinewave21 said:

Volt [...] her

Volt is male, FYI.

Anyway, good choice, Volt is stupid fun / highly versatile, but, like any ability-intensive Frame, needs good modding,
so look into acquiring stuff like Corrupted Mods from Derelict Vaults, maybe Augur Mods from the Plains, Baro goodies, and whatnot,
those'll find use on many if not all your Frames (even "tanks" can get turned into e.g. mass CC ability spammers with the right Mods).

... that said, Volt Prime exists and presents a not-insignificant upgrade, so dunno if you should invest too many resources into regular Volt, alas.

12 hours ago, BRT_LovesSushi said:

Haha, maybe not in a specific frame... but you basically just described an arca plasmor shotgun 😉 it pairs beautifully with Inaros’s 1 - when you aren’t after health that is. Mod for range and duration, stun lock an entire assault squad in one move, then wipe them out with the plasmor in a few shots! Fun stuff! Great for Plains fights... but it does lack a little satisfaction after a while.

As for the OP’s question - what frames have you played with so far? There are a lot of great nuke abilities out there, but Warframe is a game that excels at movement, many missions require it, so If your plan is to hang back on the star map with a heavy hitter, you’ll most likely get over whelmed. A good defensive squad can hold a point for quite while, but the game actively pushes you to keep moving with timers, rewards, secondary objectives, etc... Melee is the easy answer in this case because - especially when you’re just starting out - melee (Any) the is strongest weapon you have! 

Also, volt is an amazing frame, but you have to keep moving! Build yourself a rhino if you want an early frame with more power and survivability. With mods Volt is actually one of the best frames in the game, but you’re a ways off from that point. Also worth mentioning - Volt doesn’t exactly work at all with your desired play style 😉 still an awesome frame though - why hang back and nuke everything when you can just flash past everyone! Great team support, very powerful, needs a little work for better survivability but you’ll get there 🙂 

I changed my play style because I realized there really is no frame that does what I want.  As for the frames I've tried I have nidus frost nova mag mirage Mesa and nezha.

Edited by Sinewave21

5 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

Volt is male, FYI.

Anyway, good choice, Volt is stupid fun / highly versatile, but, like any ability-intensive Frame, needs good modding,
so look into acquiring stuff like Corrupted Mods from Derelict Vaults, maybe Augur Mods from the Plains, Baro goodies, and whatnot,
those'll find use on many if not all your Frames (even "tanks" can get turned into e.g. mass CC ability spammers with the right Mods).

... that said, Volt Prime exists and presents a not-insignificant upgrade, so dunno if you should invest too many resources into regular Volt, alas.

I get bolt mixed up with nova so my bad about the gender mistake. I did get volt prime.

Perhaps Garuda, she is pretty self sustainable and she can clear out entire rooms with her 1 and debuff the hell of of enemies with her 4, pair her 2 and 3 together and you have unlimited energy, plus u can use her talons as a melee weapon if you don’t equip one if you choose so.

Edited by (PS4)Z-Hunta