Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ultimate Charge - A New Way To Pace Ultimates - Needs Help Refining

Zakalwe

Ultimates are tricky. On one hand, it's great being an all-powerful "space ninja" and reducing hordes of enemies to dust in seconds. On the other, certain powers can make certain content too easy or rob the feeling of contribution from other players.

What I propose is something I'll call ultimate Charge for now (concept name, can be changed for something better). This concept is very rough, help refining it would be appreciated.

How does it work?

Once an Ultimate has been used, it goes grey.

To regain use of your ultimate, you must execute actions that fill your ultimate charge.

Actions could include:

Killing an enemy 

Using a power that affects an enemy 

Using a power that buffs your team or team member.

-

Useful questions to answer:

1. What kind of benefits do you see here for the current game?

2. What kind of negatives do you see here for the current game?

3. Would any powers be broken entirely by this?
4. Would it make certain content too difficult?

Simple.

Again, this is not a final idea or anything I'm insisting on, it's just a thought. I can already see faults with it. Just brain storming! :3

Once an Ultimate is used, it goes grey unless we have enough energy reserve.

"To regain use of your ultimate" you kill enemies and pick up blue orbs. 4 orbs = 1 ultimate

Orbs can also be found in lockers and containers throughout the level.

There are a few other abilities that regain energy, but they will be limited to certain frames or Aura cards.

Right now almost all ults pale in comparison to just normal guns. There are a few exceptions such as Molecular Prime, but that is more a problem with the ability it's self than ults in general. Personally, I thing guns (and Molecular Prime) need to be brought in line with powers. Not handicap the only interesting system we have even further.

"To regain use of your ultimate" you kill enemies and pick up blue orbs. 4 orbs = 1 ultimate

There are a few other abilities that regain energy, but they will be limited to certain frames or Aura cards.

"To regain use of your ultimate" you kill enemies while using your ultimate and pick blue orbs

???

PROFIT

I was expecting this. :p

The problem that many have with Ultimates is that they can be spammed due to high energy reserves and abundance of energy.

Slowing down the way players collect energy or limiting reserves would effect ALL powers, and we don't want half the game to be waiting for our powers to be used.

Putting Ultimates on a cool down alone is no good, as people might do what they did  back when that was trialed for all powers in CB and simply wait outside rooms until they're charged.

So adding a separate guage that is filled by USING your other powers and weaponry would engage the players and force them to make use of everything their frame offers in order to have constant access to their ultimates.

That's the thinking, anyway.

Right now almost all ults pale in comparison to just normal guns. There are a few exceptions such as Molecular Prime, but that is more a problem with the ability it's self than ults in general. Personally, I thing guns (and Molecular Prime) need to be brought in line with powers. Not handicap the only interesting system we have even further.

Fair point, and one of the major faults I saw with this too.

However, and this will require looking a little further to the future...

If we balanced weapons a little so they weren't as effective, made them so they were better than the enemies but not by as wide a margin, we could make it so the ultimates were the real source of Tenno superiority.

The game could potentially feel more like an even playing field when it comes to shooing.

Tenno would have superiority anyway because of their powers.

Then god like status when they let rip with the terror that is your ultimate powers.

Again, this would require brining other ultimate up to par with abilities like Nova, or maybe even redesigning some.

So adding a separate guage that is filled by USING your other powers and weaponry would engage the players and force them to make use of everything their frame offers in order to have constant access to their ultimates.

so you want to force your way of playing on others?

I was expecting this. :p

The problem that many have with Ultimates is that they can be spammed due to high energy reserves and abundance of energy.

Slowing down the way players collect energy or limiting reserves would effect ALL powers, and we don't want half the game to be waiting for our powers to be used.

Putting Ultimates on a cool down alone is no good, as people might do what they did  back when that was trialed for all powers in CB and simply wait outside rooms until they're charged.

That's the thinking, anyway.

Why add another convoluted system on top of another restrictive system?

You could obtain the same result by nerfing Energy Siphon and Energy Orb drop rate. However, DE choose to increase the drop rate instead.

It's clear that the direction they want the game to go in is "Spam them powers!" Because the game *should* be somewhat of a cake walk until you get to Tier 3 planets. That's how you safely teach players about game mechanics and get them hooked all the while allowing them to accrue mods and weapons safely before hitting them with challenging content.

I don't think the system is perfect by any means, but, to use a strange analogy, you can't replace the tires on your car just because your windshield is dirty.

so you want to force your way of playing on others?

The devs already force us to do things.

They force us to collect energy to use our powers.

They force us to collect materials and blueprints to build gear if we don't want to pay.

Etc...

Maybe the confusion comes from me using the word "force", perhaps I should havse said "guide".

Still, this is just an idea, I don't want to force anyone to do anything...

Fair point, and one of the major faults I saw with this too.

However, and this will require looking a little further to the future...

If we balanced weapons a little so they weren't as effective, made them so they were better than the enemies but not by as wide a margin, we could make it so the ultimates were the real source of Tenno superiority.

The game could potentially feel more like an even playing field when it comes to shooing.

Tenno would have superiority anyway because of their powers.

Then god like status when they let rip with the terror that is your ultimate powers.

Again, this would require brining other ultimate up to par with abilities like Nova, or maybe even redesigning some.

Weapons need major balance, as in there damage must be cut in half at he very least. A warframe's number one skill should do more damage than a single shot from a gun. Right now my banshee's does 1/200th (25 damage Sonic Boom, 5000 damage Paris shot) the damage. Even if Sonic Boom did do 4 times the damage of my Paris powers would still be weaker due to the nature of the energy system. I think the energy system needs to go and it needs to be more like a recharge system with ults taking all.

To your point of bringing the ults in line with nova, I disagree. We have had SO MUCH power creep in Warframe (and we are still in beta) that I believe that damage must be brought down, not up. With the enemies also reduced to match the new numbers. What this would do is lessen the gap between new and old players making it easier to get in to the end game. Hopefully with powers leading the way making warframes matter.

To your point of bringing the ults in line with nova, I disagree. We have had SO MUCH power creep in Warframe (and we are still in beta) that I believe that damage must be brought down, not up. With the enemies also reduced to match the new numbers. What this would do is lessen the gap between new and old players making it easier to get in to the end game. Hopefully with powers leading the way making warframes matter.

I agree, but this idea was a way to try the only other approach.

It's either:

Limit the power of ultimates

Limit ultimate use

I'm just brainstorming a way to try to achieve the second one without slowing down play too much.

2. Because power spam is fine, but Ultimate spam might not be.

You could obtain the same result by nerfing Energy Siphon and Energy Orb drop rate. However, DE choose to increase the drop rate instead.

It's clear that the direction they want the game to go in is "Spam them powers!" Because the game *should* be somewhat of a cake walk until you get to Tier 3 planets. That's how you safely teach players about game mechanics and get them hooked all the while allowing them to accrue mods and weapons safely before hitting them with challenging content.

You're missing the point a little again, Arch.

Power spam is ok, but ultimate spam is not. This is the premise the concept is working under.

So no, nerfing those things would affect ALL powers, I'm looking for a way to just target ultimates without allowing players to remain static while they recharge them and without adding more coloured orbs.