Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Gravity Warframe: Newton (Need Concept Art!)

PettiTheYeti

I posted my initial concept idea of this back in early July. Just came back to it in hopes of refining it and ultimately getting it added to the game.

I do need an artist to help out with some concept art, and the rest of the community on a better name, but I think this would make an awesome addition to the game.

Newton, The Gravity Warframe

Stats:

150 Health (450 Max)

75 Shields (225 Max)

175 Armor

100 Energy (150 Max)

1.15 Sprint speed

1.25 Jump height

Summary:

With the ability to bend gravity to it's will the Gravity frame is a master of mobility and an impressive tactical benefit to a team. While low on shields, the heavy armor that usually slows down other frames is remarkably light on the Gravity frame, allowing great agility. The Gravity frame can use it's abilities to drastically change the battlefield for itself and allies.

Skills:

1: Hover: 15 Energy

Newton inverts the gravitational field around itself, allowing it to slowly rise into the air. Can slowly move laterally in any direction. Lasts 10 seconds

2: Overburden: 50 Energy

Newton manipulates the force of gravity around enemies within X distance, slowing them down as they struggle to stand. The larger and heavier the enemy, the more they slow down. Duration of X time.

3: Gravity Slam: 75 Energy

Newton briefly lifts all enemies in X distance before slamming them violently into the ground. Deals a flat 750 damage. Survivors are disoriented for Y amount of time, and will attack friendly factions.

4: Light Weights: 100 Energy

Newton connects with all teammates in X distance to allow zero gravity movement for Y time. Movement is controlled via camera orientation and directional buttons.

My ideas for the character concept:

The frame itself will be male, and have a somewhat bulky appearance in key areas for the heavy armor motif. Head, chest, back, upper arms, and thighs will all be armored. The remaining areas of the frame will be the same skin-tight suit design as the majority of the frames have. Hanging from the front and back of the armor,will be physics based "loin cloth" with the Lotus symbol and other various designs on them.

After some thought, I feel that the frame should incorporate smooth, rounded shapes, similar to planets. Different patterns could be used to even simulate planet atmospheres, or even better, the same kind of energy effect that Mag's default helmet uses, can be tweaked into vertical effects to help symbolize the current gravity with the speed of the effects.

Default helmet will be round with a flat top. There will be a crater in the top that also splits to the front where the "face" should be. An energy orb will float above this crater and the crater itself will radiate the frame's energy color.

Colored sections will be

Primary: Armored areas (Head, chest, back, upper arms, thighs)

Secondary: Skin suit areas (legs, lower arms, hands,

Tertiary 1: Loin cloth, armor breaks/edges

Tertiary 2: Symbol, designs, and facial details

Energy: Armor breaks, armor effects, helmet crater

My (very) rough draft of my current ideas:

n6asn8.jpg

Sorry for the bad MS Paint outlining. My scanner didn't really pick up the lines that it should have for some reason.

If you give me a solid, well made design to post in this thread, I may reimburse you.

Edited by PettiTheYeti

Hmmmmmmmmm... Is this the male version of Mag? I like the sound of it regardless.

EDIT: The first skill if done properly could be very useful in movement. The third (I see you played mass effect).

As for the 2nd and 4th I think maybe a little more diversity in powers. maybe the second could cause a fluctuation in gravity on the floor in front of you, basically a shield that physical type bullets could not pas through and light type would be bent away from.

Edited by Veidgrim

I'm not thinking of a male Mag on this, since she deals with magnetism and manipulating enemies through their armor. This is more manipulating gravity itself; creating gravity where there is none, and making gravity vanish where it should be.

I was more or less joking but they have suggested making frames with "similar" themed abilities that are the opposite sex. I like the sound of it though. Makes me think of the black Bohrok-Kal (Nuhvok-Kal) from Bionicle (If anybody even remembers that)

EDIT: Fixed all grammatical mistakes cause i can't spell worth a damn... lol

http://bionicle.wikia.com/wiki/Nuhvok-Kal

Edited by Veidgrim

I was more or less joking but they have suggested making frames with "similar" themed abilities that are the opposite sex. I like the sound of it though. Makes me think of the black Borrok Vol from Bionicle (If anybody even remembers that)

EDIT: Fixed all grammatical mistakes cause i can't spell worth a damn... lol

Haha, I remember playing with those Bionicle Legos, but I never looked at the comic strip things they came with.

I was more or less joking but they have suggested making frames with "similar" themed abilities that are the opposite sex. I like the sound of it though. Makes me think of the black Borrok Vol from Bionicle (If anybody even remembers that)

I think you meant the 2nd Borrok Vol that was silver and stuff. Yeah, I believe he and every other Borrok (Nova?) killed themselves when they got their powers even stronger from whatever. (I cant really remember)

But this warframe sounds super cool and different, would love to see it in game. 

EDIT: The first skill if done properly could be very useful in movement. The third (I see you played mass effect).

As for the 2nd and 4th I think maybe a little more diversity in powers. maybe the second could cause a fluctuation in gravity on the floor in front of you, basically a shield that physical type bullets could not pas through and light type would be bent away from.

I actually haven't played Mass Effect yet, but this (#3) type of spell/ability/power/whatever is pretty common in science fiction games it seems like. I just couldn't think of another idea to demonstrate Anti/Gravity than picking up and dropping, that could be used to cause damage.

Your suggestion for #2 sounds a bit too much like Volt's shield, and while I'm trying not to rehash TOO many ideas with this (yeah, Float is another Bounce/SJ), a gravity warp that sucks projectiles straight out of the air could be useful, especially if it has a large enough radius to cover a pod, or multiple team members.

As far as #4, I think it is a pretty unique skill. Short of Wormhole, there isn't any other skill that offers almost free movement in the game. Granted, this type of skill may completely break the game if overdone, but it would be awesome to see in some form.

I actually haven't played Mass Effect yet, but this (#3) type of spell/ability/power/whatever is pretty common in science fiction games it seems like. I just couldn't think of another idea to demonstrate Anti/Gravity than picking up and dropping, that could be used to cause damage.

Maybe your third could pick people up like a gravity gun then fling them at others.

Maybe your third could pick people up like a gravity gun then fling them at others.

It's a possibility. I think that would end up feeling too much like Mag or Banshee (pulling, pushing enemies) than it's own skill.

Maybe picks up X enemies in Y distance, and targets X enemies at Z distance, for flat 500 damage?

Honestly if you just switch 3 and 4 then power wise it'd be fine, I feel like it has 2 ults right now. This is definitely gonna be a late game guy.

Well, I was torn on that as well, but I think with the #4 being strictly a movement based skill (even if for a group), it's not really an "Ult", as most would see it. I just put it in #4 with the highest cost because creating anti-gravity for up to 4 players would take a LOT of energy, at least in my mind.

Clanmate (Omega224) suggested the name "Quasar"

a quasar is a super blackhole that radiates light at its event horizon and they are some of the oldest objects in the universe and obviously blackholes are super dense gravity wells

I guess it kind of works. Better than "Newton" at least. Anyone have name suggestions?

It's a possibility. I think that would end up feeling too much like Mag or Banshee (pulling, pushing enemies) than it's own skill.

Maybe picks up X enemies in Y distance, and targets X enemies at Z distance, for flat 500 damage?

No, it'd be like one of those press once for duration powers.

So you'd press 3 to pick someone up and you can carry them for an X amount of time until you find a target to toss them at. When you have found a target you click the mouse button and it launches the person at others. You can also maybe do this with barrels.

Totally diff from mag and banshee. 

No, it'd be like one of those press once for duration powers.

So you'd press 3 to pick someone up and you can carry them for an X amount of time until you find a target to toss them at. When you have found a target you click the mouse button and it launches the person at others. You can also maybe do this with barrels.

Totally diff from mag and banshee. 

So, in other words, once you have this person picked up, you can't use your weapon until you throw them at something? I don't like that idea. It would be easier to code, and smoother to play with the alternate suggestion I made. Plus, for a 75 energy power, using it on one person is pretty lackluster.

If my suggestion picks up 3, 5, 7, 9 enemies per level, and targets the same number of enemies, doing 500 damage to all of them, it would make a suitable CC while the first 9 are picked up from a closer range, and again when thrown at someone further away, and while they have to get back up (since 500 damage wouldn't kill most things past level 40).

Then again, why have the skill deliberately target other people? Pick up 6, 8, 10, 12 enemies within 16, 18, 20, 22 meters, and throw them outwards for 400, 500, 600, 700 damage. If they happen to hit other people, those people take doubled damage. This would make it much more CC, which is part of the premise behind the frame.

Only problem is, it would completely outclass Banshee with one of her best skills. So I doubt it would happen.

I think my original idea, once tweaked for balance, would give the best performance for damage and CC, since they would all be forced to the ground and have to stand back up.

So, in other words, once you have this person picked up, you can't use your weapon until you throw them at something? I don't like that idea. It would be easier to code, and smoother to play with the alternate suggestion I made. Plus, for a 75 energy power, using it on one person is pretty lackluster.

Have you ever used the Gravity Gun? 1 object can be pretty devastating to a crowd.

My idea was pretty unique actually, this power would be one you could control rather than pressing it once and having it do stuff.

Your Newton frame is beginning to sound like an boring AoE map nuke frame unfortunately. But it's your idea's so its fine. Your basically building a male mag right now.

Have you ever used the Gravity Gun? 1 object can be pretty devastating to a crowd.

My idea was pretty unique actually, this power would be one you could control rather than pressing it once and having it do stuff.

Your Newton frame is beginning to sound like an boring AoE map nuke frame unfortunately. But it's your idea's so its fine. Your basically building a male mag right now.

Yes, I've played HL2, and loved the Gravity Gun. My problem with the idea of using the same concept as a power is that it combines both Mag and Banshee's 1's, but only for one target. The only addition is that the one target can damage other people if launched into them, but since both Mag and Banshee damage groups of people during their 1's, they both overshadow your suggestion.

My idea is simply picking them up, and slamming them down. No, it's not unique and strange like Antimatter Drop, but as it is, it isn't a room clearing AOE like Miasma. It's a half CC, half AOE skill that is just something to place hold until a really good idea comes up.

As far as "basically building a male Mag", I don't see how. Completely different skills and CC effects. The fact that you say this make me wonder if you even really read and thought about the abilities I posted, or just focused on the ONE ability that does any form of direct damage.

On another note; I spent the last hour or so coming up with a very rough sketch for the base concept of what I want this to look like. I'll get it uploaded in a bit.