Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Baruuk Wasn't Designed for the Current State of the Game

Pizzarugi

I don't have Baruuk, the effort to obtain him just doesn't seem worth it enough for me to grind for. With that said, I have seen videos of him in action and how his abilities work. He reminds me of the older days of Warframe, when the game wasn't dominated by spamming 4, or slide attacks to clear away large numbers of enemies. When the game wasn't so fast-paced, enemy count was smaller, but nobody could put out crazy amounts of damage, Baruuk would've fit right in with a team as a CC frame. Having someone like Baruuk in the team would be helpful to keep the enemy suppressed while your DPS focused on them.

Now? He has no place in the roster with how the game is. It's like he got displaced from the past and ended up in the future where his skill set is no longer relevant. Nothing except his Elude seems like it was made for the current state of the game. His disarming knives are only good for one enemy, one enemy out of a massive horde, and you've only got a handful to play with. His ult, Serene Storm, is also pretty underwhelming. Sure you can draw some enjoyment ragdolling enemies around you, but the effectiveness of it falls off earlier than a lot of other frames, plus it's easier to just outright kill your target than launch them somewhere. Lull is kind of in a grey area, not as useful compared to other sleep abilities that Equinox or Ivara have. If he was released years ago, he would most likely have been redesigned to coincide with the speed clear meta like a number of older frames.

To put it short: I think Baruuk was introduced into this game way too late. His skill set doesn't fit with the current trend of annihilating everything by sneezing in their general direction, and recent or buffed older frames can do what he offers, but better. Maybe if DE does something drastic like nerfing literally everything and bringing the game's speed back down to what it was like years ago, he'd be great, but I don't see that ever happening.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IceColdHawk said:

I struggle to find a reason to pick Baruuk over Loki. Loki has a better damage evasion and AoE disarm.

For me it's Excalibur.

Excalibur has a better CC and weapon.

Not that I even like Excalibur anymore in the first place.

I still have to wait 2 days till I can claim him from Foundry, but from the Wiki and various display videos on YT, I see massive problem in his kit: Baruuk's abilities show heavy anti synergy with each other.

• Elude builds his special resource every time he evades an attack. However, sleeping enemies cannot attack you. Disarmed enemies need more time to get closer and perform an attack. Elude losses efectiveness, if it as well as other abilities are used for Restraint.
  • Lull will put enemies to sleep. However, then you have no attacks to evade with Elude. Furthermore, what is the reason to disarm a CCed enemy with Desolate Hands?
  • Desolate Hands' disarming mechanics misconceptions are already coverd. Additionally this ability grants much desired DR, if daggers are not used for disarming effect, which requires negative range to be most effective, which in return is counterproductive with Elude & Lull. In the end, Baruuk needs high range stat for the one half of his kit; and low range for the other.

I get the impression, his meta build relies on maintaining DR with Desolate Hands and spam his other abilities, regardless whether they are actually needed, just to fuel Restraint for Serene Storm. That is, if you want to use Serene Storm at all, as people say it does not scale well enough.

Eh, he's no worse off than many other frames. In some respects he's in a better spot than a lot of frames.

He's a solid solo frame. I've solo'd arbitrations and Mot with him using a high DR tank build. I've solo'd sanctuary onslaught with him using a high range lull build.

He's a solid frame in team comps. He's a passable nuke frame in PUGs when you don't get a Saryn or Equinox. I've used him effectively as the nuke frame in Kuva Survival with a coordinated team.

Just because he didn't replace an existing frame in the current meta doesn't mean he's bad. He's just not better than existing frames for their particular niche. Lots and lots of frames are in this spot. Do you only play this game for efficiency? Do you only use the current meta frames? If you do, that's fine, a great way to play. But not every frame is for you.

I don't think the Baruuk hate is justified.

ALSO: Totally granted that the farm to get him is absurd and his power level isn't proportionate to what you need to do to obtain him. Absolutely absurd.

• Like 1

I plyed Baruuk and while i was levevling him up, i felt slow, like extremely slow. He’s like a Frame that’s designed for a game that’s 45 FPS. That’s mostly about his restraint. I can’t attack with Elude up for his restraint to go down but i can cast his other abilities to lower his restraint. The prevention of the attacking can hurt you in Survival Runs (if you are doing a 60+ min one) and maybe most of the missions here since this Game is more focused on killing than CC. He’s not a bad Frame to play since all of his abilities have a use but his passive playstyle could hurt him later on in the Game.

Edit: Actually, i can see Players using him for Rescues.

Edited by GPrime96

Baruuk has his issues but to say he doesn't fit in this games current roster is just a claim born from ignorance.  But hell, you were able to somehow shoe-horn your narrow minded view of the game into a thread of it's own when it wasn't getting anywhere in another thread.  So props to you on that I suppose.  His 4 is capable of mass killing up into sortie levels.  So to say he can't "sneeze" at enemies and kill handfuls is just wrong.  His lull is also a mass CC effect that has insane range capabilities and starts working instantly.  Lots of other frames currently do this as well.  Yet again proving that he does fit in this current era that you dislike.

You know what?  It's even a bit ignorant to state the old days were slow.  DE started doing reworks because we had frames that were capable of deleting things with little player interaction.  You must be referring to something older than that.  hmm.  Are you referring back to the days when the game didn't use energy and it was a cooldown based game?  Warframe hasn't been anything close to that in years.  Since we switched to an energy system this game kicked into high gear.  The only change that's made the game faster since then has been the new parkour system.  So.  I don't know what you can actually be getting at that isn't just a clear bash on the current state of the game that's poorly covered under the guise of a hot topic at the moment (that being the state of Baruuk.)

As somebody who was there for 'the old days' before Parkour 2.0, I can 100% say that back then the game really was about spamming 4 and slide attacks.

Slide attacks were basic movement, back then, you literally didn't go anywhere without them and chose your weapons based on how well they coptered you around a map. Back then the Tipedo's release was worth building a fairly mediocre weapon simply because it not only coptered well, but DE had just invented the Air Lunge attack, which was basically a bullet jump when you had the Tipedo, before the bullet jump existed.

Back in that era, Rhino and Frost could go as fast as every other frame due to slide attacks.

And back then several specific frames dominated the meta for a while; Saryn with her negative-duration Miasma, which caused all the damage to come out in two seconds and be ready for recasting; Ash with his instant-hit Bladestorm that literally negated ever needing to use the rest of his kit (because why strip armour with his Shuriken when you could Bladestorm and deal the same damage regardless of whether they had armour? Why go invisible, when you were invincible with Bladestorm? Why teleport to attack an enemy when you could just Bladestorm? With nearly max Strength and with Efficiency, plus Duration being a dump-stat, Bladestorm did everything for 25 energy...); Excal with his un-inhibited Radial Javelin that could hit things across a map; Mirage's 4 blinded through walls, locking down entire Defense and Interception maps; Mag's 2 (not her 4) scaled infinitely and hit instantly.

The game has never been without 'press 4 to win' spam tactics.

For speed? Yeah we can move around faster. Maps and tiles are expanding to match. The spawn rate of enemies has always fluctuated up and down, and I remember a time when DE let spawn rates in Survivals get so high that players set records in both solo and teams without ever touching a main Life Support, and it was, for a while, adjusted back down again until Solo players that were known for their abilities struggled to get past the 90 minute mark due to there just being nothing to actually kill. Seeing as how the only adjustments in that area that we've even heard of in the last year and a half is the adjustment to enemy damage and levels on Fortuna after the launch, going down and then back up again after a certain time was up... I'm almost completely certain that the way the missions function hasn't gotten faster.

The game itself is no faster, or slower, than it's ever been. The same number of enemies per spawn appear, although the Open Landscapes this can lead to a bit more perception of numbers, since they aren't filtering through doorways. And players have always been optimising their time-to-kill functions on both weapons and warframes to make sure they can sneeze at them and they all fall down. Saying the game is faster now is pretty damn limited, because while we can physically move faster, the game engine doesn't, and I've so far only seen two mass-kill tricks be created since 2017 that even came close to the effectiveness of spamming Saryn, Mesa or Excal on the old Draco Interception map, or the more recent 2016-onwards use of double Equinox to feed each other's Maim casts. Those two new ones both being Trinity, first with the self-damage Castanas that everyone knows about, and then with the Safeguard Switch/Radiation proc/Octavia Mallet combo that allowed Trin to get rad-proc'd, become invulnerable for a set duration from Loki, and attack Mallet for insane amounts of damage radially.

The old game could go insanely fast, even compared to now, because we had way more broken options to choose from. Warframe has been averaging the same speed since I re-joined on this account.

And as for Baruuk?

He fits into the game for people that play at their own pace. He has a kit that lets you take your time, attack when you want or not do anything when you want, his damage reduction and CC is incredibly powerful meaning he never, ever needs to die. Combine that with good weapons and Baruuk can solo his way up through a surprising amount of content. Far more easily than quite a lot of other frames too... [stares meaningfully at Ember]...

So, in conclusion, your view is narrow, in a couple of cases false, and highly biased towards your perception of a history in Warframe that others remember very, very differently, and possibly never existed.

• Like 2

I'm gonna throw out how I feel about Baruuk because i'll be perfectly honest... Baruuk is insane. 

He's stupidly tanky and his exaulted weapon does tremendous damage... at least the way I have him built. I survive better with him than I do Inaros and I don't use ANY Health\Shield\Armor mods. 

I don't really use him as a Support frame I do as a Damage\Tank frame and he can really dish out and kill just about anything with his Desert Storm. 

He's easily replaced my tank of choice now and I just have way too much fun using him and ignoring tons of damage while also dealing it. 

49 minutes ago, Namoiram70 said:

He's stupidly tanky

Just like a lot of other frames, hell we have one what can do this levels of tanking without even spending energy.

50 minutes ago, Namoiram70 said:

exaulted weapon does tremendous damage.

Now i have some doubt with that claim. Care to share a build?

1 hour ago, Fallen_Echo said:

Just like a lot of other frames, hell we have one what can do this levels of tanking without even spending energy.

Now i have some doubt with that claim. Care to share a build?

Sure. <--- Here's my build. You can swap out Steel Charge with Growing Power if you'd like... Steel Charge is just Personal Pref. 

Use his 1 only if you're reviving\air caps\door unlocks

2 every now and then to get your Restraint down

3 when you have 9 or less daggers to keep your 90% DR (Damage Reduction) at all times and

4 when your restraint is fully down. Balance using that and keeping your restraint down since no Restraint gives you 50% more DR.

I also combo him with Taxon for Shield Gain since DR applies to shields and guaranteed cold procs for more damage from Condition Overload with my base melee. 

If you're running relics and Baruuk gets corrupted then you'll get about 60 daggers on cast which is also insane... not to mention Desert Storm will also gain an even bigger buff. 

My Desert Storm Build: Primed Pressure Point, Fever Strike, and Fury. Organ Shatter. True Steel. Berserker. North Wind. Gladiator Might.  This build needs a bit of tweaking as I haven't really started dissecting it too much but it suffices for now and does the job fairly well. 

I'm thinking about using a 7th forma to put in Augur reach and upgrade it to a certain point since you don't want too much range... that way you get even more shields when you cast due to the Augur set. I kinda want to make that change personally and just drop out Cunning Drift. 

Like 15-20% range is good since you don't want your daggers leaving your body and it will extend Lull to a decent radius to really drop Restraint when needed. 

16 minutes ago, Namoiram70 said:

Sure. <--- Here's my build. You can swap out Steel Charge with Growing Power if you'd like... Steel Charge is just Personal Pref. 

Use his 1 only if you're reviving\air caps\door unlocks

2 every now and then to get your Restraint down

3 when you have 9 or less daggers to keep your 90% DR (Damage Reduction) at all times and

4 when your restraint is fully down. Balance using that and keeping your restraint down since no Restraint gives you 50% more DR.

I also combo him with Taxon for Shield Gain since DR applies to shields and guaranteed cold procs for more damage from Condition Overload with my base melee. 

If you're running relics and Baruuk gets corrupted then you'll get about 60 daggers on cast which is also insane... not to mention Desert Storm will also gain an even bigger buff. 

My Desert Storm Build: Primed Pressure Point, Fever Strike, and Fury. Organ Shatter. True Steel. Berserker. North Wind. Gladiator Might.  This build needs a bit of tweaking as I haven't really started dissecting it too much but it suffices for now and does the job fairly well. 

I'm thinking about using a 7th forma to put in Augur reach and upgrade it to a certain point since you don't want too much range... that way you get even more shields when you cast due to the Augur set. I kinda want to make that change personally and just drop out Cunning Drift. 

Like 15-20% range is good since you don't want your daggers leaving your body and it will extend Lull to a decent radius to really drop Restraint when needed. 

Thanks, gotta try it out.