[DE]Helen

PSA: Minimum Supported Specs Changes in February!

46 minutes ago, Sean said:

Considering that Windows 7 is going to hit its end-of-life date in just under a year, may want to keep that in mind for when you guys are updating your minimum specs. Microsoft has their extended support hitting a full decade for each of their operating systems.

Windows XP is dead because it commands less than 1% of the marketplace.

Windows 7 is not even remotely dead because it commands 40% of the marketplace. You're basically shooting yourself in the foot at this point in time, if you are a game studio and you're thinking about dropping Windows 7 support.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Woah 1
  • Applause 5
  • Upvote 3

Good deal move forward and dont look back. If you have a potato and you love warframe then it's time to upgrade hehe.

• Haha 1
  • Woah 2
  • Applause 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, THeMooN85 said:

Yey, good bye potato systems!

GOOD BYE!

2 hours ago, Fugana said:

I hope this will remove players with trash computers hosting big maps and bosses.

Man the passive aggression towards people with low-end pcs and laptops. Insert "I am so proud of this community" meme here. My only question is by how much will warframe daily login activity drop by since a lot of people play warframe since it runs well on low-end set ups. Well use to run well. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 4
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, TheMightyBaloon said:

Man the passive aggression towards people with low-end pcs and laptops. Insert "I am so proud of this community" meme here. My only question is by how much will warframe daily login activity drop by since a lot of people play warframe since it runs well on low-end set ups. Well use to run well. 

Even when I can understand why this much aggresiveness, its still not a good thing to see. Hope we as a community can learn to be better with our fello tennos.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 2
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, KittySkin said:

Even when I can understand why this much aggresiveness, its still not a good thing to see. Hope we as a community can learn to be better with our fello tennos.

One can hope. Most of people on the short end of the stick will just be have to go with it, no need to rub it in. Which is sadly how this community usually gets separated. We saw the same thing when raids were removed. And I don't think it will be the last time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 2

3 minutes ago, TheMightyBaloon said:

One can hope. Most of people on the short end of the stick will just be have to go with it, no need to rub it in. Which is sadly how this community usually gets separated. We saw the same thing when raids were removed. And I don't think it will be the last time.

Well, that happens on everything to be honest, I dont even have to mention the 2 most popular topics to make people split apart.
A shame about the raid thing, never did one before and I would absolutly love to being able to did at least a single one just to know how the feel was.
I dont mind about arcanes being obtained from eidolons and raids at the same time, variety its king I think, specially considering the almost unused conclave that its still there (without even thinking about lunaro haha).

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hunnyman said:

Linux support when?

If I recall correctly there was a thread about a way to run the game on linux, try searching for that, as far as I know it runs really well with a correct setup

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TheMightyBaloon said:

So better have warframe on mobile phones by your logic? daily logins doenst mean healthy playerbase. We need content, improvements, balancing etc etc.

• Applause 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Fugana said:

So better have warframe on mobile phones by your logic? daily logins doenst mean healthy playerbase. We need content, improvements, balancing etc etc.

That doesnt justify being an A****** against someone that cant afford a better PC.
Daily login will drop and thats OK, but being aggresive towards someone that you dont even know isnt just right.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 5
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LSG501 said:

Are we going to actually get any minimum spec adjustments because there are still plenty of toasters that can fall under those changes.  It's not just the operating system and DX version that is the reason we keep moaning about lagging hosts, it's underpowered pc's being selected as hosts or even being allowed to play the game....the existing listed min specs is not enough to run the game comfortably AND host, they need updating too.

Perfect example: My old socket 939 AMD x2 4200+ and HD5450 can match those above changes and are above the existing min requirements however I will not run warframe on it because it will not cope with the game let alone being host and I would not want to subject players to the lag that it would cause.

Existing specs as per steam:

• Processor:Intel Core 2 Duo e6400 or AMD Athlon x64 4000+
  • Memory:2 GB RAM
  • Graphics:Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT or ATI Radeon HD 3600
  • DirectX®:9.0c
  • Hard Drive:25 GB HD space
  • Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection

Obviously a few bits will now change due to the above but can you honestly say those specs are enough for a smooth fortuna experience....

That cpu combo wouldn't work for Fortuna or Plains while at least 4 GB of available RAM, thus the 64 bit I wager. Players looking to upgrade or make do should focus on getting a 760 GTX 2GB or higher but preferably something with more than 2GB per Plains or Fortuna. Nvidia isn't going to be putting out drivers for gpu older than the 600 series I believe so it would be beneficial to look at something 1050 TI or better come this change I would recommend.

edit: A skylake or later I5; doesn't have to be an unlocked sku would be fine but perhaps the AMD Ryzen offerings might be more economical as long as a platform upgrade is in order. I know for a fact that the AMD 2400G can perform well enough for medium play given stable and fast dual channel DDR4 memory. One could later slot in their favorite budget to mid-range card and be ready to go as long as they don't mind the privacy violations of Win 10.

Edited by Urlan
  • Woah 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Momaw said:

Windows 7 is not even remotely dead because it commands 40% of the marketplace. You're basically shooting yourself in the foot at this point in time, if you are a game studio and you're thinking about dropping Windows 7 support.

Planning ahead is the point of what I was saying.

Continuing to forcibly support software that is not updated and is considered dead by its creators to the detriment of the project is a backwards and moronic move.

Edited by Sean
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, LSG501 said:

Are we going to actually get any minimum spec adjustments because there are still plenty of toasters that can fall under those changes.  It's not just the operating system and DX version that is the reason we keep moaning about lagging hosts, it's underpowered pc's being selected as hosts or even being allowed to play the game....the existing listed min specs is not enough to run the game comfortably AND host, they need updating too.

Perfect example: My old socket 939 AMD x2 4200+ and HD5450 can match those above changes and are above the existing min requirements however I will not run warframe on it because it will not cope with the game let alone being host and I would not want to subject players to the lag that it would cause.

Existing specs as per steam:

• Processor:Intel Core 2 Duo e6400 or AMD Athlon x64 4000+
  • Memory:2 GB RAM
  • Graphics:Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT or ATI Radeon HD 3600
  • DirectX®:9.0c
  • Hard Drive:25 GB HD space
  • Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection

Obviously a few bits will now change due to the above but can you honestly say those specs are enough for a smooth fortuna experience....

I agree this does need to change, 2gb ram is way too low they need to change it to 8GB

• Satisfied 2
  • Woah 1

5 hours ago, Fugana said:

I hope this will remove players with trash computers hosting big maps and bosses.

Doesn't remove players with trash networks like mine. Win 10, 1050, dsl256

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Satisfied 2
  • Applause 3

5 hours ago, THeMooN85 said:

Yey, good bye potato systems!

GOOD BYE!

It doesn't stop potato systems. It just makes them load a lot slower. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, KittySkin said:

If I recall correctly there was a thread about a way to run the game on linux, try searching for that, as far as I know it runs really well with a correct setup

Sadly, unless something recently changed since; I think the Linux Tenno said the Fortuna updates are not really compatible with that yet. Going to Fortuna causes them to crash or something so while it is a hope for the future, its not there yet.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, THeMooN85 said:

So not everyone should play that game and forcing others to wait for them with their potatoes PCs.

How rude. Don't hate the player, hate the game. The way sessions are being hosted has to change.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Momaw said:

Anthem won't support it.

• Upvote 2

So is there not going to be a 32 bit version of the client at all anymore, or are we going to still be able to run a 32-bit exe on our 64-bit systems? 

I'm on 64-bit Windows 10, but with only 4 GB of RAM, and performance in the 64 bit version of the client is absolutely terrible compared to the 32 bit version, especially in Orb Vallis. 

• Haha 2
  • Woah 1
  • Upvote 7

8 hours ago, Fugana said:

You want people to not be able to play the game anymore instead of wanting DE to improve how hosting works? Yikes

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Applause 10
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, [DE]Helen said:

We want to move away from operating systems that Microsoft and hardware vendors no longer support and focus on software that improves Warframe’s development potential. Updating our Minimum Supported Specs will keep player experiences safe and stable on operating systems that are up-to-date, secure, and supported by the companies that make them.

"Windows 7 mainstream support ended on January 13, 2015. Extended support until January 14, 2020 (January 2023 for Professional and Enterprise, users will need to pay for security updates"

So changing it again 1 year later?

• Like 1