Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A battle pass system suggestion

Quill.Onkko

Since warframe is suffering from new player retention and veterans having nothing to do most of the time, i thought that it would be nice to implement a new  battle pass system, hear me out first:

how i see it, spending a long time and alot of resources on making deluxe skins dosent translate well into player retention, most people buy the skin and play around with it for 10-20h and then leave again or spend their time in the ship coloring it.

(coloring warframes isnt playing the game) so what i would suggest is a pass for 500-300p a season (2months or so) in this pass you will have 50% boosters for resources, resource drop chance, affinity and credits, in the following are suggestions for more perks that this pass might have

-reduced foundry build time

-increased daily standing cap

-increased number of trades

these might make the player feel like hes a premium player while playing the game if he spends the plat on it, and the to keep the players in there will be a season system that rewards players based on certain challenges (kill lephantis with a melee weapon x) ) and based on these challenges the player will be rewarded with glyphs (that not allot of people buy), immortal skins(that arent being made anymore, you can even have multiple immortal skins), and/or vailed rivens.

however the thing about these cosmetics is that they are season exclusives, that means they arent coming back till a really long time in the future (the reason why old events were so fun to play and the rewards were actually worthwhile is cuz they were timed exclusives).

imho these challenges in the season system might give the ability to challenge players and keep player playing even with minimal content addition to the game, just by using existing stuff in the game and centering the challenge around it, the harder the challenge that is connected to the skin is the more value it has in the heart of the community (rift sigil cough cough).

i hope that you would read this all the way, and would give it a thought and thank you for your efforts DE.

Edited by Quill.Onkko

6 minutes ago, Quill.Onkko said:

so what i would suggest is a pass for 500-300p a season (2months or so)[...]

-reduced foundry build time

-increased daily standing cap

-increased number of trades

For these perks it has to costs at least 5k.

Veterans usually are whales and have enough plat hence why they just buy new skins.

And your suggestion is only really useful for player with an unhealthy amount of playtime.

I log in, play 2 or 3 hrs, log off and do the same thing once every day. Totally enough and I don't need faster crafting times or even more resources (looking at you 12 million salvage and whatnot)

12hrs for a weapon? so be it...If I still want it asap I can pay 50p

3 minutes ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

For these perks it has to costs at least 5k.

Veterans usually are whales and have enough plat hence why they just buy new skins.

And your suggestion is only really useful for player with an unhealthy amount of playtime.

I log in, play 2 or 3 hrs, log off and do the same thing once every day. Totally enough and I don't need faster crafting times or even more resources (looking at you 12 million salvage and whatnot)

12hrs for a weapon? so be it...If I still want it asap I can pay 50p

my reasoning is that new players might want to use the reduced crafting time

7 minutes ago, Quill.Onkko said:

my reasoning is that new players

21 minutes ago, Quill.Onkko said:

Since warframe is suffering from player retention and veterans have nothing to do most of the time, i thought that it would be nice to implement a new  battle pass system,

Then you should state that part a little bit better?

edit: the retention comes from your so called "new player who want faster foundry times"

A friend played 2 months. MR 23, never touched it again because over saturated. (1000 hrs...thats almost 24/7)

Edited by GnarlsDarkley

thanks i edited it accordingly

4 minutes ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

Then you should state that part a little bit better?

edit: the retention comes from your so called "new player who want faster foundry times"

A friend played 2 months. MR 23, never touched it again because over saturated. (1000 hrs...thats almost 24/7)

18 hours ago, WhiteMarker said:

Before we go on, you might want to explain that part further.
Maybe post some sources that show that Warframe is losing players.

warframe steam charts are enough evidence, you can see that warframe hits a peak each update and dosent retain the new players it aquires and goes back to the usual 50k players that play it, after hitting 120k or something like that

50 minutes ago, Quill.Onkko said:

warframe steam charts are enough evidence, you can see that warframe hits a peak each update and dosent retain the new players it aquires and goes back to the usual 50k players that play it, after hitting 120k or something like that

Oh wow, there is so much wrong with what you said...
First of all, this is just a chart from Steam. It doesn't tell us anything other than people playing the game via Steam. It doesn't tell us anything about the other platforms, or about PC players that don't use Steam. It doesn't tell us aynthing about the kind of account playing the game (is the account new, or old)
This chart is just useless.

Then there is you saying, Warframe has a problem with player retention. But that's untrue. The fact, that Warframe has 50k players steadily, means, that Warframe doesn't have such a problem. If this problem existed, Warframe would lose players. But if you expand the chart on Steam, you will see, that Warframe gains more and more players. Maybe not 10k in one day, but slow and steady we get more people to play the game.

And last but not least, we have the issue of media over-hyping big updates for every game, even Warframe.
Because of the over-hyping, a lot of players try a new update, and leave quickly after, because they don't like the game at all, and stuff.

So you just made up this problem with the player retention, and tried to solve that non-extistent problem.
And your solution was to give people the ability to burn through the content more quickly. Good job, that's not a solution. You just made another problem...

48 minutes ago, Quill.Onkko said:

The Steam charts only show player numbers, not new players and thus give no useful insight into actual retention of new players.

The pattern you describe is common to all long running games, where there's surge in lapsed and new players before falling back to approximately the normal background level. What a developer is looking for is the long term trend that results...which if you compare over all time is clearly upwards, although with a very slight downward trend over the last year, which is entirely explained by the popularity of a bunch of last year's releases and doesn't inherently indicate an issue - massive or otherwise - on Wrframe's part.

Perhaps you could expand on how you see the proposed "battle pass" (Fortnite player, I'm guessing?) features would directly help either retain new players or re-engage lapsed veterans?  Perhaps you can link them in context to your own experience as a first time player and ho they would have caused you to stay and play the game? (By the wy, these are all the same kind of questions I'd ask developers I used to work with when they were trying to work out how to improve their game's retention stats)

6 minutes ago, (PS4)Voidkraken said:

The Steam charts only show player numbers, not new players and thus give no useful insight into actual retention of new players.

The pattern you describe is common to all long running games, where there's surge in lapsed and new players before falling back to approximately the normal background level. What a developer is looking for is the long term trend that results...which if you compare over all time is clearly upwards, although with a very slight downward trend over the last year, which is entirely explained by the popularity of a bunch of last year's releases and doesn't inherently indicate an issue - massive or otherwise - on Wrframe's part.

Perhaps you could expand on how you see the proposed "battle pass" (Fortnite player, I'm guessing?) features would directly help either retain new players or re-engage lapsed veterans?  Perhaps you can link them in context to your own experience as a first time player and ho they would have caused you to stay and play the game? (By the wy, these are all the same kind of questions I'd ask developers I used to work with when they were trying to work out how to improve their game's retention stats)

1. im not a first time player (i have almost 4k hours in the game)

2. the downward trend cant be blamed on other games, better games were released back in the day and still warframe didnt have the same downward trend it has now

3. i only play warframe as my main game

4. re-engaging the veterans will be with giving them challenges for timed exclusives (just like the old events with the wraith and vandal weapons that warframe dosent do anymore), the timed exclusivity is what makes veterans(imo i might be wrong) value something more than another Eg: the rift sigil

5. the large amount of wait time imo, is what almost made me quit warframe when i started in 2013, 12h for a weapon and some hours for an invasion to be done and give me my rewards is kinda offputting

7 hours ago, WhiteMarker said:

Oh wow, there is so much wrong with what you said...
First of all, this is just a chart from Steam. It doesn't tell us anything other than people playing the game via Steam. It doesn't tell us anything about the other platforms, or about PC players that don't use Steam. It doesn't tell us aynthing about the kind of account playing the game (is the account new, or old)
This chart is just useless.

Then there is you saying, Warframe has a problem with player retention. But that's untrue. The fact, that Warframe has 50k players steadily, means, that Warframe doesn't have such a problem. If this problem existed, Warframe would lose players. But if you expand the chart on Steam, you will see, that Warframe gains more and more players. Maybe not 10k in one day, but slow and steady we get more people to play the game.

And last but not least, we have the issue of media over-hyping big updates for every game, even Warframe.
Because of the over-hyping, a lot of players try a new update, and leave quickly after, because they don't like the game at all, and stuff.

So you just made up this problem with the player retention, and tried to solve that non-extistent problem.
And your solution was to give people the ability to burn through the content more quickly. Good job, that's not a solution. You just made another problem...

ask DE-steve and he will tell you theres a problem in player retention, watch the no-clip videos