Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[spoiler] Should we win the New War ?

Umbriellan

Il y a 11 heures, Leyers_of_facade a dit :

I honestly don't think we will lose, as these things above require quite a bit of resources (endo mainly), and its not a good game design to have players spend a lot of resources to prepare for a fight that they are guarantee to lose.

My previous point is still standing: you are only one soldier, you can win all your battle, but how could you be on every battlefield in an invasion created at a Solar-system scale ?
Think of Commander Shepard (mass effect 3) forced to quite Earth due to the invasion; he could survive the battle (maybe) but how Earth would stand when everyone else in the population isn't Shepard ?

As a previous post said: we could get kicked out & forced to do small strikes & suicidal attack here & there to weaken the enemy - it means we loose against the Invasion, but we continue to fight as ronin / ninja / rebel / terrorist (a bit like what we're already doing... "sabotage/espionnage").

Il y a 11 heures, SirTobe a dit :

We don't know much about the current sentients yet either, maybe they have become a split faction? Maybe there are sentients that can be reasoned with? Who knows.

There is a lead about that - divided sentient factions.
1) Hunhow was still in his role of general of the 1st Invasion during all the quest (Uranus + Octavia) + Eidolons are only ghosts of the Past;
2) Grand-mother seems to be activated recently (Ballas action, or Lotus' after the Apostasy) & in the New War Trailer she shows a different approach compared to Hunhow, that make me think she's looking for something different & so she isn't anymore on the "Old War" strategy - wanting different things - maybe even against Hunhow's will;
3) Sentients are supposed to be on Tau - why would those guys be deactivated as Hunhow & Grand-Mother ? So they were active, from the start of the Old War to nowadays... in this case, after centuries of a good life, alone (without Hunhow & Mother-base) they could have choose a different path (or even be destroyed by an unknown force to us).

I hope for a great twist with us joining Grand-Father Hunhow to counter Mother-Base 😄 An ephemaral alliance, but still...

Il y a 11 heures, (PS4)robotwars7 a dit :

if we lose the new war, we'll probably die, or at the very least the Sentients will take over the system and we'll only have one faction to fight. would be kinda bland IMO.

I think you are overlooking at 3 minor points... Grineer - Corpus - Infestation.
Tennos are at war with the first two for centuries; they developped weaponery, protection & studied both the void & sentients. I'm pretty sure they won't be gone in a blink.
About the Infestation, yeah... we could avoid them & destroy all supposed infested ships, asteroids, and else... even if we could see in the future infested fleet (as with the Tyrannids in W40k).

It all depends on the scale of the Invasion, their tactics, their forces. 
If we will have freaking space-battleship like those we could imagine when looking at the Plains of Eidolon, then yeah, the Grineer & Corpus will have serious problems to stand;
If it's only (in the first wave) basic soldiers, mimics & transport-ships, Corpus & Grineer will have a bit of time to test their weapons, develop prototypes (a simple "void grenade" erasing the adaptation system would be enough to weaken sentients to all of their weaponery)

Il y a 11 heures, Loza03 a dit :

So I'd probably say the most likely thing for it to really be about at the New War's core is the Operator realising their newfound maturity. Maturity isn't something you just... get. You don't get a 'level up maturity' moment so It's quite possible the Operator hasn't even quite twigged that they don't actually NEED the Lotus anymore.

Il y a 12 heures, trst a dit :

If we have a sort of "reality check" with the forces that are really in play here I'd suspect it to actually come after New War, or at least until after we've established what's going on with Lotus/Natha and what it means going forward (just because she's gone "full Sentient" and abandoned us doesn't mean we have the full picture of what's actually going on with her).

I agree with you: there will be something "personal" about this New War & I expect something like the serie "Civil War" from Marvel;
1) in the background of a giant Invasion, the tennos splitting their own forces to work in collaboration, or refusing to, with the Corpus, the Grineer, even the Helminth (because why not) or Hunhow (I would love domestic violence inside the Sentient-race 😄)  
2) the divided opinions on the Lotus, where we are still clashing about if she has any right to live, to stay with us or to be exiled.

To me, the New War should be about the future of the Solar-system "should the balance of power remain, or evolve to something else?" & the future of the Tennos "to be wise; pacifist; warmonger; true orokins ?"

Il y a 14 heures, Gabbynaru a dit :

Well, a common suggestion people have about NG+ or higher difficulty or whatever is the Tau System.  So, you know, just like how the Stalker turned into and remained the Shadow Stalker after Second Dream, so could the New War turn the solar system into a corrupted version of itself, or just lock us into the Tau System until DE creates a new quest that would allow us to return. I know it would be a much grander scale to just turning Stalker into Shadow Stalker, but it would definitely work gameplay-wise as a way to make us understand that WE are the ones who have lost the war, and it would have a much more lasting impact on the players, just like all the changes Second Dream brought had in the past.

Révélation

Problem is, as you said, that would require a serious gameplay overhaul. But, if they were bringing in a new system and all the tilesets that come with it, they could also bring in enemies with new gameplay rules and equipment with more grounded and limited mechanics (or still just as wacky, but just not as impactful). They would also have to lock down trading between Tau players and Sol players in order to maintain this revelation, but I think that would be one of the easier things to implement.

Warframe 2 confirmed ? 👀

The possibility of 3 potential star-chart would be a great content to add for the game: "Sol-system / Corrupted Sol-system / Tau-System"; we got new maps (with the corrupted variant being easier to make that an entire new solar-system for the developers), potential for new enemies & why not objectives/missions.

But if we only have a "New War" like a basic event, or a quest, we're locking-down the opportunity for that Corrupted System; only leaving the hope to find the gate toward the Tau-system.
It would be weird as the Old War was a massive era, just like the "Time War" in Doctor Who - and now that we're living a 2nd Sentient-Invasion, we just... kick them out of the System, in 20 minutes without any matter left to make a simple propaganda poster for the Corpus ? 

Il y a 14 heures, OmegaZero633 a dit :

What would Tenno “losing” the New War entail? Collapse of all factions within the Origin System? The loss of all advanced life in the Origin System? The destruction of the Origin System itself? Even one Tenno can be a threat to hundreds of Sentients (see: Mirage lore), and even the massive Sentient that threatened the Unum tower hid from Gara during the day. The Orokin themselves were on the brink of defeat, and turned to utilizing Warframes and Tenno out of desperation; a gamble that seemingly paid off as Sentient presence was essentially wiped out of the Origin System following their usage.

To be fair, with what we learn from Ballas' journal & Hunhow himself : I don't think the Warframes/Tennos were truly winning the Old War.
The sentients just deactivated, waiting for the call that Lotus was supposed to give - the tennos may be able to fight the Sentients, but reach a total victory ? I don't think so... look at the Eidolons; they are the most important evidence we got for now: the spirit / soul of the Sentients still persist after the physical destruction.
So in the case we are able to completely annihilate the body of the high-rank sentients (try to do it when they're litteral spaceships...), we still have their souls to destroy & we don't have any tools for that now.

And the Orokins didn't bother with that, as they only put a warframe (hi Revenant) as guardian as a temporary solution (which wasn't replaced due to their extinction...).

As a source: Nakak, from the Revenant quest: " This is where Gara vanquished the Sentient! Where its essence fell into the ground, trapped in some unworldly between. It wanted out." (here "essence" could also be replaced by "soul/spirit").

So if, right now, the Invasion is entirely destroyed by the Tennos in 20 minutes, I'm already seing a reboot of the movie "Final Fantasy; the Spirit Within" where we will have to deal with an entire army of ghost soldiers... that we couldn't contain if we don't continue the fight every night on every planets they are on.

I would hope for at least a destroyed Pluto with the outer terminus since it's already a outdated tile. It could be the opposite of Mars. Corpus and grineer working together classic space opera stuff to stem the tide as tenno work behind the front lines in the sentient outposts and later Tau. All the while sentients and infested hive mind make a deal and start making hybridized units from sentient crash sites all over origin. Thanks Alad.

19 hours ago, Umbriellan said:

You, as a soldier, can win every battles you're in.
But you can't be on every battlefield in this case: you got a Invasion

An invasion?  You mean us invading right?  Because Lotus and Grandma Sentient are in the Tau System right now - and since DE has stated before they hope to have the Tau system in the game, it's more than likely that we're going to be the ones going on the offensive to "get space mom back."  

Also Tau mods were a pretty big hint at what direction the game is going...

If the Sentients dare try to invade us they are all but screwed... they would make themselves extinct because they wouldn't be able to reproduce after getting here - not to mention most would just flat out die on the way from void poisoning.  It seems only very strong sentients like Lotus can make the jump and be so lucky as to only end up Barren.  Look at Hunhow, he couldn't even assault the moon until Stalker pulled it out of the void.  

Since Hunhow failed in Octavia's anthem Sentients still have no safe way to traverse the void.  All the sentients in the game right now were already in Origin System since the Old War. 

Edited by (PS4)lagrue

I think that the quest shouldn't really decide the fate of the war, but simply start it. I personally would like part of the quest to have something to do with the Unum and PoE to tie that plot thread into the main narrative, maybe the sentients reforming the Eidolon and 'defeating' the Tenno there, only for the Tenno to strike back. Either way, I only hope it causes a shake-up in the Origin system and changes the way the game works past that point in some way.

17 hours ago, --Nob0dy-- said:

By this point, we basically have a whole sentient extermination kit. Umbra and his Umbral mods, the Paracesis, Sacrificial mods, and our Tenno powers run on the void which is poison to them. There's no real way we're gonna lose unless they bring in the giant sentient motherships.

I think thats is exactly what "mother" was at the end of the sacrifice, that and possibly hunhow since we have no idea how big he was other than the few scattered parts of him in the oceans for the archwing underwater maps which indicate he was rather large and if he was smaller than "mother" than we can all asume he was more like some kind of battleship and she is either the head sentient whatever or some kind of deadnaught under the orders of i don't know lets call it "grandma".

But in the end at some point i would like all our light/neutral/dark choices as a community to all be gathered for data and be used to create an outcome for the new war, that would actually be a fun feature to have implemented into the game i think for that particular expansion or maybe start making it work like that sooner, allowing certian items,gear and weapons to be available to people who make these choices, though like syndicate stuf they can be traded amongst players.

Edited by Daskrieg

6 hours ago, Umbriellan said:

So in the case we are able to completely annihilate the body of the high-rank sentients (try to do it when they're litteral spaceships...), we still have their souls to destroy & we don't have any tools for that now.

And the Orokins didn't bother with that, as they only put a warframe (hi Revenant) as guardian as a temporary solution (which wasn't replaced due to their extinction...).

As a source: Nakak, from the Revenant quest: " This is where Gara vanquished the Sentient! Where its essence fell into the ground, trapped in some unworldly between. It wanted out." (here "essence" could also be replaced by "soul/spirit").

Interestingly enough, Tenno apparently DO have the ability to destroy the souls of enemies. Or rather, did at one point.

One of the reasons Teshin Dax is currently attempting to bring Tenno into the fold of the Conclave is to prepare them for the “horrors from beyond the Outer Terminus”. The method of training he has us practice involves severing the Oro (or soul) from the body of the fallen opponent before eliminating it. Teshin describes Oro as “the binding force for an enemy whom, like the Tenno, can survive death.” 

It would be funny if we ended up losing the New War due to lack of Conclave participation and practice. 

After War Within, I was thinking it was time for us to leave Lotus. She is our mother, but it is the fate of every mother to lose their child

But then, she beat us to it, and abandoned us (through her own decision or otherwise)

I hope the New War plays the same trick. The Sentients are coming to us, but what if we bring the fight to them?

Le 09/01/2019 à 16:46, (PS4)lagrue a dit :

An invasion?  You mean us invading right?  Because Lotus and Grandma Sentient are in the Tau System right now - and since DE has stated before they hope to have the Tau system in the game, it's more than likely that we're going to be the ones going on the offensive to "get space mom back."  

It's still unclear if the end-picture we saw in the New War trailer is the Tau-System; it's possible, but could also be our own System.
I'm more encline to think it was our system :
(1) even if there would have been an ellipse, Lotus was pretty quick to find Mother-Base; But maybe it's a sentient-hyperspace travel method ...
(2) if it was the Tau-system; why wouldn't be the "gate" to our Solar-system a bit more closer to the Tau-System ? You know, the Sentients got there the hard way, but they are still in this place to build the "gate" ... it is more practicle to get the space-station closer to the more outer-planetoid, to bring ressources in an easier way. But maybe it's due to the method of travel that isn't too much accurate & avoid collision/destruction ...
(3) Hunhow looks like a battleship-sentients, like many of the relics we can see here & there... but an army inviding a Solar system would need one, or many stations placed a bit back from the front line; like we are doing with aircraft-carrier - Mother-base looks curiously able to shelter more than the small "army" we could see in the Trailer. It's more likely that an asteroid-like form in the void of space won't attract any suspicion; and like the Sentients went offline due to the Hunhow's plan : Grandmother is in a perfect position to be offline for millenia without being noticed, or interacted with anyone.
Mother-base is the perfect space-carrier ! Look at the Queen's base, that is big a hell, and went unnoticed until we had troubles with them... 

Le 09/01/2019 à 16:46, (PS4)lagrue a dit :

If the Sentients dare try to invade us they are all but screwed... they would make themselves extinct because they wouldn't be able to reproduce after getting here - not to mention most would just flat out die on the way from void poisoning.  It seems only very strong sentients like Lotus can make the jump and be so lucky as to only end up Barren.  Look at Hunhow, he couldn't even assault the moon until Stalker pulled it out of the void.  

The Sentients don't have to "dare to invade us" ... they are already there ! Or more accuratly their forces/armies from the Old War. They only have to awaken, regroup & strike.
The guys from Tau, we still don't have a words from them, and we should be happy for that - (1) because it means that we have to deal with the relics of the Old War, so we should have few informations about them; (2) the guys on Tau didn't have to be offline like the ones we were fighting... so they were online on Tau from... the start to the 1st Invasion to nowadays (millenia laters).

The Tau-units shouldn't be taken as free-kill : an adaptative race able to evolve for centuries, with maybe informations on how their forces were effective or not in our Solar-system.
Yes, maybe they are all offline (slightly awakening due to Grandmother); maybe they didn't evolve at all; maybe they went extinct due to unknown reasons; or even maybe they decided to move on and now we could see an entirely new Sentient-Tau race which isn't absolutly for the annihilation of the Orokin (and so could move against Mother-Base).

About Lua, it's only giving you the opportunity for tactical retreats, that you can't use on long-run if you don't intent to recreat the 10-0 incident with other civilians, or even your army.
Or if you have the technology & the power (knowing that Corpus & Grineer keep fighting to search for a better power-source) : you could try to trap Eidolons, Sentients on a planetoid (even Mother-Base itself) by sending them directly to the Void for some decades... But: you will need big installations (did you see how Lua looks ?), times & energy... thing you don't truly have in a blitzkrieg-Invasion without any forces truly ready (still the war Corpus-Tenno-Grineer) to face the unknown enemy able to strike wherever, or whenever at will (Mother-Base), and who got all informations about everythings going on currently (thx Lotus).

Edited by Umbriellan
typo